Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Marvel Super Heroes:
War of the Gems
North American cover art by Glenn Fabry
|Genre(s)||2D action platformer|
Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems (マーヴルスーパーヒーローズ ウォーオブザジェム Māvuru Supā Hīrōzu: Wō obu za Jemu?) is a 2D action platformer video game developed by Capcom for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, based on the events of Marvel Comics' series, Infinity Gauntlet. In the game's plot, Adam Warlock calls upon Earth's greatest superheroes to seek out the Infinity Gems before they fall into the wrong hands.
Although War of the Gems is based on the same storyline as the Capcom arcade game Marvel Super Heroes, it is not a port; War of the Gems instead features gameplay similar to X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse.[original research?]
The player plays each level as one of five superheroes - Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Wolverine, or Hulk - as they battle through various locations around the globe and even outer space. Each character's health bar is separate and carries over between missions - healing can only be done by picking up items in the levels or using healing items picked up during missions. When a character falls, they must be revived individually with the appropriate item. After investigating an area, the player may or may not be rewarded with one of the gem resulting in a restart of the entire game. Only two can be picked up during the first four missions, one is picked up in the following mission upon defeating The Magus, and then two more are randomly received in two of the four following levels. The last gem is only received upon defeating Thanos, thus completing the game.
Playable characters include:
- Captain America: Balanced in both attack and speed (all-around type).
- Iron Man: Powerful but quite slow, can use a variety of projectiles and also has double jump (power type).
- Hulk: The biggest character in the game, being the strongest and also the slowest (power type).
- Spider-Man: The fastest character in the game, but also the weakest. His attack lasts the longest (speed type).
- Wolverine: A balanced fighter between Spider-Man and Captain America. His low stance allows him to dodge some attacks without having to crouch. Can climb walls by pressing jump near them (balanced type).
- "Game Over". AllGame. Retrieved 2015-12-21.