Mary of Lancaster
|Mary of Lancaster|
Tutbury Castle, Staffordshire, England
|Died||1 September 1362 (aged 41-42)
Alnwick, Northumberland, England
|Spouse||Henry Percy, 3rd Baron Percy|
|Issue||Henry Percy, 1st Earl of Northumberland
Thomas Percy, 1st Earl of Worcester
Mary, Baroness Ros
|Father||Henry, 3rd Earl of Lancaster|
Mary of Lancaster, Baroness Percy (1320 – 1 September 1362), was the youngest surviving child of Henry, 3rd Earl of Lancaster by his wife Maud Chaworth. Through her father, she was a great-granddaughter of Henry III of England.
Mary was born in 1320 or 1321. She was a sister of Henry of Grosmont, 1st Duke of Lancaster, Maud, Countess of Ulster, Joan, Baroness de Mowbray, and Eleanor, Countess of Arundel. Through her brother Henry, she was the aunt of Blanche of Lancaster, first wife of John of Gaunt and mother of Henry IV of England.
They had the following surviving issue:
- Henry Percy, 1st Earl of Northumberland (10 November 1341 – 20 February 1408) married firstly Margaret Neville and secondly Maud, Baroness Lucy.
- Thomas Percy, 1st Earl of Worcester (1344–1403).
- Maud Percy, married Sir John de Southeray, illegitimate son of King Edward III and his mistress Alice Perrers.
- Mary, Baroness Ros (born 1360) married John de Ros, Baron Ros of Helmsley.
Mary died at Alnwick, Northumberland, England on 1 September 1362, where she was also buried. Her husband Henry would marry a second time to Joan Orreby, daughter and heiress of John, 2nd Lord Orreby.
|Ancestors of Mary of Lancaster|
- Works cited
- Bean, J.M.W. (2004). "Percy, Henry, third Lord Percy (c.1321–1368)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/21930. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Weir, Alison (2008). Britain's Royal Families, The Complete Genealogy. Vintage Books. ISBN 978-0-09-953973-5.