Mayo High School
||This school-related article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (October 2014)|
|Mayo High School|
Mayo High School main entrance
|1420 11th Avenue Southeast
Rochester, Minnesota 55904
|Type||Coed Public High School|
|Motto||"To be a Spartan is to be the very best one can be"|
|Enrollment||1622 (May 21, 2014)|
|Color(s)||Green & Gold|
|Mascot||Sparty the Mayo Spartan|
Mayo High School (Mayo) is an American high school in Rochester, Minnesota. It is named after the brothers William James Mayo and Charles Horace Mayo, physicians and founders of the Mayo Clinic. It is a public school and part of the Rochester Independent School District #535. The current principal of Mayo High School is Tom Olson.
Mayo High School was built in 1966 in the southeastern section of Rochester, Minnesota. It has a capacity to hold approximately 1800 students and was the largest high school in the city until Century High School was built, and was named after the brothers William James Mayo and Charles Horace Mayo, physicians and founders of Mayo Clinic.
Curricular and extra curricular
The school mascot is a Spartan warrior. The sports teams, students, and staff are known as the Mayo Spartans. The school colors are green and gold. It has teams in speech, chess, classic debate, mock trial, football, tennis, swimming, cross country, soccer, lacrosse, softball, baseball, rowing, basketball, golf, hockey, volleyball, track and field, Science Olympiad, First Robotics Team, Math League, and Knowledge Bowl. Students may also letter in citywide athletics such as crew with the Rochester Rowing Club and figure-skating with the Rochester Figure Skating Club.
Mayo High School participates in many sports, competing in the Big 9 conference within the Minnesota State High School League, usually at the largest class level. The sports available are boys baseball, boys and girls basketball, boys and girls cross country, boys and girls hockey, girls cheerleading, boys football, boys and girls soccer, boys and girls golf, girls softball, boys and girls swimming, girls dance team, boys and girls track and field, boys and girls tennis, boys wrestling, and girls volleyball.
- Michael Restovich - MLB Player
- Aaron Senne - Minor League baseball player
- Eric Strobel - Member of Miracle on Ice, gold medalist at the 1980 Winter Olympics in hockey
- "Mayo Senior High School". GreatSchools.org. GreatSchools.org. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "Administrative Offices". rschooltoday.com. Rochester Public Schools. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "Mayo Senior High School". publicschoolreview.com. Public School Review 244 5th Avenue, # J-229 New York, NY 10001. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- Ruff. "Rochester tennis tops in the state". Post-Bulletin. Retrieved 24 June 2011.
- Official Player Profile
- David, Dan. "Eric Strobel". hockeydraftcentral.com. Dan David. Retrieved 14 October 2014.