Michelle Phan in 2014
April 11, 1987 |
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Occupation||YouTube video blogger, make-up demonstrator|
|Partner(s)||Dominique Capraro (2010–present)|
Michelle Phan (born April 11, 1987) is an American make-up demonstrator and entrepreneur who became notable as a YouTube personality. Phan's YouTube channel has over 7.7 million subscribers, 1.1 billion lifetime views, and 350 uploaded videos.
Early life and education
Michelle Phan (Vietnamese name, Tuyết Băng) was born in Boston, Massachusetts. Phan and her family moved to Tampa, Florida where she attended Tampa Bay Technical High School. Phan attended, but did not graduate from, Ringling College of Art and Design. In March 2014, Ringling gave Phan an honorary doctorate.
In 2005, Phan had a personal blog in which she discussed different makeup tutorials and received requests for further instruction. She began posting tutorial vlogs on Xanga under the username Ricebunny and then began publishing on YouTube in May 2007.
Buzzfeed featured two of Phan's "How To Get Lady Gaga's Eyes" makeup tutorials in 2009 and 2010, which helped them go viral and brought her over a million subscribers. Phan became a YouTube advertising partner and launched FAWN, a YouTube MCN (multi-channel network), in 2012.
In 2010, Lancôme made Phan their official video make-up artist after she featured some of their products in her videos. In 2011, Phan co-founded 'MyGlam', a monthly beauty products subscription service, which has since been renamed "ipsy", launched in September 2012.
In May 2014, Phan announced her partnership with Endemol Beyond USA to build a talent network that will feature people from YouTube and create content for millennials. The Icon network launched on April 1, 2015.
In September 2014, Phan partnered with Cutting Edge Group (CEG) to launch Shift Music Group. Phan also launched a book with Random House in October 2014, called “Make Up: Your Life Guide to Beauty, Style, and Success -- Online and Off."
Copyright infringement lawsuit
In July 2014 it was announced that Phan was being sued by Ultra Records over alleged copyright infringement relating to the music used in her YouTube videos. Ultra plans to seek up to $150,000 in damages per infringement, according to the lawsuit, which currently names 50 instances of infringement. In total it is estimated that Ultra is seeking an overwhelming $7.5 million from Phan to compensate for her use of the label's artists' music. Phan filed a counter-suit against Ultra Records on September 18, 2014 in the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
Although Phan has remained quiet regarding the topic, other members of YouTube have spoken out to suggest that Phan had previously received permission from the record label to use their artists' music. It has also been said that Ultra Records is seeking a higher payback per video due to Phan's rise in celebrity via YouTube's growing platform and her rumored net worth of $5 million.
Awards and nominations
|2014||Michelle Phan||Teen Choice Award for Choice Web Star: Fashion/Beauty||Nominated|
|Michelle Phan||Teen Choice Award for Choice Web Star: Female||Nominated|
|2014||Michelle Phan||Streamy Award for Inspiration Icon Award||Won|
- Michelle Phan's Make Up
- "The Meaning of Birthdays", April 11, 2014, Michelle Phan
- "Michelle Phan". 17 June 2014. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- Humphrey, Michael (September 21, 2011). "Michelle Phan: On Beauty, Bob Ross And Future Success". Forbes. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
- Brouwer, Bree (September 5, 2014). "Michelle Phan Reaches A Milestone With Over 1 Billion Channel Views". Tubefilter.com.
- "Michelle Phan". YouTube.com. 2006-07-18. Retrieved 2015-04-25.
- "Michelle Phan, a YouTube sensation for her makeup tutorials, has transformed her life". Tampabay.com. Retrieved 2015-04-25.
- Ricapito, Maria (2010-05-28). "Viral Videos: Michelle Phan's Rise to YouTube Stardom". Vanityfair.com. Retrieved 2015-04-25.
- "Ringling College: Internet Phenom Michelle Phan Receives Honorary Doctorate from Ringling College". Ringling.edu. Retrieved 2015-04-25.
- Forbes, Jihan. "Michelle Phan Talks Success, Her New Book and Miley Cyrus at the Unleash YouTube Event". The Fashion Spot. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- Wick, Krista (May 26, 2012). "Meet Michelle Phan, Accidental Millionaire". The Insider. ET Online. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
Phan is the second-most popular female personality on YouTube and has become spokeswoman for Lancome thanks to the success of her online videos. She also recently partnered with Glamhouse for her Jewelry line Ever Eden.
- Hayes, Stephanie (August 22, 2009). "Michelle Phan, a YouTube sensation for her makeup tutorials, has transformed her life". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
- "ricebunny.xanga.com". ricebunny.xanga.com. June 20, 2013. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- Tamar Anitai (January 27, 2010). "Makeup Tutorial: Learn How To Get Lady Gaga's Scary 'Bad Romance' Eyes". MTV. Retrieved April 17, 2010.
- Peggy Wang (July 9, 2010). "How to Get Lady Gaga Googly Eyes [VIDEO]". Buzzfeed.com. Retrieved July 15, 2010.
- Maria Ricapito (May 28, 2010). "Viral Videos: Michelle Phan's Rise to YouTube Stardom". Vanity Fair. Retrieved May 28, 2010.
- "Beauty Gurus How-To: Becoming a YouTube Star". Yahoo! Shine. Retrieved July 22, 2014.
- "Lancôme Signs Michelle Phan, YouTube Makeup Star". Main.stylelist.com. Retrieved July 22, 2014.
- "21 Success Mavericks". Success Magazine. June 1, 2013.
- "YouTube's Beauty Guru Michelle Phan Lands Own L'Oreal Makeup Line Video". Abcnews.go.com. Retrieved 2015-04-25.
- "Endemol Beyond USA Aligns Forces in Exclusive Deal with Acclaimed Digital Pioneer Michelle Phan and Her Multi-Channel Network, FAWN, to Build a Premium Lifestyle Network for Women". Endemolusa.tv. Retrieved May 2, 2014.
- "Michelle Phan goes beyond YouTube with Icon multi-channel network". Theguardian.comd. Retrieved April 1, 2015.
- Spangler, Todd (September 26, 2014). "YouTube’s Michelle Phan Launches Music Label". Variety.com.
- "Make Up by Michelle Phan". Randomhouse.com. Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- "The NMR Top 100 YouTube Channels: 50-26!". New Media Rockstars. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- Fenn, Donna (April 24, 2015). "30 UNDER 30 Remember These Names: The 2015 30 Under 30 List Is Here". Inc.com.
- Adams, Susan (April 24, 2015). "Forbes' 30 Under 30". Forbes.com.
- "Ultra International Music Publishing, LLC et al v. Michelle Phan". Docket Alarm. July 16, 2014. Retrieved Dec 22, 2014.
- "YouTube star Michelle Phan sued over copyright". BBC News. July 22, 2014. Retrieved July 22, 2014.
- "Ultra Records Responds to Michelle Phan & Kaskade Copyright Controversy". Radio.com. July 28, 2014.
- "Phan". Scribd.com. Retrieved 2015-04-25.
- "YouTube Star Michelle Phan Fights Back Against Multi-million Dollar Lawsuit". Mashable.com. July 24, 2012.