Middle Dural, New South Wales
Sydney, New South Wales
|Population||931 (2011 census)|
|Location||37 km (23 mi) north-west of Sydney CBD|
Middle Dural is a semi-rural suburb of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia 37 kilometres north-west of the Sydney central business district in the local government areas of Hornsby Shire and The Hills Shire. Dural is a separate suburb to the south.
Dural is derived from Dooral-Dooral, an Aboriginal name meaning a smoking hollow tree. The original inhabitants of the Dural area were the Darug people. The name Dooral appeared on Surveyor James Meehan’s map of April 1817 and originally covered the whole area including present day Glenorie, Galston, Arcadia and Dural. Timber cutters opened up the area in the early 19th century and the settlements were originally known as Upper, Middle, Lower, North and Little Dural. Located on the Old Northern Road, a historic road built by convicts between 1825 and 1836 to link early Sydney, in the Colony of New South Wales, with the fertile Hunter Valley to the north. In 1831 George Best established the Half-Way Inn at Middle Dural 
- The age distribution was older than the country in general: the median age was 45 years, compared to the national median of 37 years. Children aged under 15 years made up 18% of the population (national average is 19%) and people aged 65 years and over made up 20% of the population (national average is 14%).
- 72% were born in Australia, similar to the national average of 70%; the next most common countries of birth were England 4%, Italy 4%, and New Zealand 2%. 51% of people had both parents born in Australia.
- 80% only spoke English at home; other languages spoken at home included Italian 6%, Arabic 3%, and German 1%.
- The median household weekly income was $2,077, compared to the national median of $1,234. The median monthly mortgage repayment was $3,000.
- 88% of households were family households, 11% were single-person households and 1% were group households. The average household size was 3.0 people.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Middle Dural (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- The Book of Sydney Suburbs, Compiled by Frances Pollon, Angus & Robertson Publishers, 1990, Published in Australia ISBN 0-207-14495-8