|Birth name||Michail Jefimowitsch Alperin|
7 November 1956 |
Michail Jefimowitsch Alperin (Ukrainian: Миха́йло Юхи́мович Альпе́рін, born 7 November 1956 in Kamianets-Podilskyi, Ukraine) is a Ukrainian jazz pianist, known as a key member of the Moscow Art Trio.
Alperin was born in Kamianets-Podilskyi, Ukraine and grew up in Moldavia, where he was classically trained. In 1980, he formed one of the first Moldavian jazz ensembles. He moved to Moscow in the 1980s and founded the Moscow Art Trio with Arkady Shilkloper and folk singer Sergey Nikolaevich Starostin. He has also worked with Huun Huur Tu. Since 1993 he has lived in Oslo, Norway; he is professor of music at the Norwegian Academy of Music and as so he has supervised pianist Helge Lien and Morten Qvenild among others. He has released several works on ECM Records.
- Wave of Sorrow (ECM, 1989) with Arkady Shilkloper
- Folk Dreams (Jaro Medien, 1995)
- Hamburg Concert (Jaro, 1996)
- Prayer (Jaro, 1996)
- North Story (ECM, 1998)
- First Impression (ECM, 1999)
- Overture/Etude (Boheme, 2000)
- Piano (live) (Boheme, 2000)
- Portrait (Jaro, 2000)
- At Home (ECM, 2001)
- Night (ECM, 2002)
- Blue Fjord (Jaro, 2004)
- Her First Dance (ECM, 2008)
- Folk Dreams (Zebralution, 2009)
- "Mikhail Alperin (solo-piano) (Moldavia, Oslo/Norway) - Jaro.de".
- "Mikhail Alperin Biography". Allmusic.com
- Cook, Richard (2005). Richard Cook's Jazz Encycolpedia. London: Penguin Books. p. 10. ISBN 0-141-00646-3.
- "Mikhail Alperin Biography - Store Norske Leksikon".