Million Yen Women
|Million Yen Women|
(Hyaku Man En No Onna-tachi)
|Written by||Shunju Aono|
|Magazine||Big Comic Spirits|
|Original run||November 16, 2015 – September 5, 2016|
|Directed by||Michihito Fujii|
|Original run|| April 7, 2017 (Netflix)|
April 13, 2017 (TV Tokyo) – June 30, 2017 (TV Tokyo)
Million Yen Women (Japanese: 100万円の女たち, Hepburn: 100 Man'en no Onna-tachi) is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Shunju Aono. It was serialized in Shogakukan's seinen manga magazine Big Comic Spirits from November 2015 to September 2016. The series was adapted into a live-action TV drama in 2017 by Netflix and TV Tokyo co-production starring Yojiro Noda, lead vocalist of RADWIMPS.
Shin Michima is an unpopular novelist. He has lived with 5 mysterious women in the same house for half a year. Minami Shirakawa loves coffee. Hitomi Tsukamoto loves black tea, yoga and reading good books. Yuki Kobayashi is a polite woman and loves roasted green tea. Midori Suzumura is a high school student and loves acerola juice. Nanaka Seki loves drinking milk.
These 5 women pay Shin a million yen every month for rent and living expenses, about 30x higher than normal. They have rules in the house and questions about the women are banned.
- Shin Michima
- Portrayed by: Yojiro Noda
- A 31-year old novelist struggling to produce a bestseller, often criticized by his literary rivals and the women in the household about his lack of good quality writing. His father is condemned on death row following the murder of three victims including Shin's mother, her lover, and a policeman who had arrived at the scene after they were killed. Shin receives daily accusatory messages on the fax machine from an anonymous sender.
- Minami Shirakawa
- Portrayed by: Rila Fukushima
- A nudist at home who has a mysterious demeanor and occasionally violent tendencies. President of the ultra-luxury Call Girl Club. Minami refers to Shin as "Novel".
- Hitomi Tsukamoto
- Portrayed by: Rena Matsui
- Hitomi is the daughter of influential novelist, Hibiki Ogie, who had died 11 years ago. She appears to be infatuated with Shin, often becoming frustrated when he does not pick up on her subtle hints.
- Yuki Kobayashi
- She basically stays in her room. Married to a wealthy elderly man for whom she was previously a maid.
- Midori Suzumura
- Portrayed by: Rena Takeda
- A 17-year old high school girl. Midori was raised in an orphanage since her relinquishment by her parents at the age of three. As she got older, Midori took on part-time work to save for her independence from the orphanage and its unconventional rules. She had bought a lottery ticket and won one billion Yen prior to moving into the house.
- Nanaka Seki
- Portrayed by: Yuko Araki
- She is very clumsy and loves drinking milk. As a famous actress, Nanaka began her career as a child.
Million Yen Women is written and illustrated by Shunju Aono. The series ran in Shogakukan's seinen manga magazine Big Comic Spirits from November 16, 2015 to September 5, 2016. Shogakukan collected its chapters in four tankōbon volumes, released from March 30 to November 30, 2016.
|1||March 30, 2016||978-4-09-187507-5|
|2||June 30, 2016||978-4-09-187645-4|
|3||September 30, 2016||978-4-09-187785-7|
|4||November 30, 2016||978-4-09-189229-4|
The live-action drama stars Yojiro Noda, who is the lead vocalist of the rock band RADWIMPS, in his first television show. Five beautiful but mysterious women move in with unsuccessful novelist Shin, who manages their odd household in exchange for a tidy monthly sum. The theme song is "漂う感情" (Drifting Emotions) by Kotringo. The series aired on TV Tokyo and Netflix Japan from April to June 2017 and became available on Netflix US on August 15, 2017.
- I'll Give It My All... Tomorrow — Another manga series by the same author
- 青野春秋が描くミステリアスなシェアハウス、100万円でつながる女5人と男1人. Natalie (in Japanese). Natasha, Inc. March 30, 2016. Retrieved February 1, 2021.
- 青野春秋の新連載がスピで、100万円でつながる男1人と女5人が共同生活. Natalie (in Japanese). November 16, 2015. Retrieved February 1, 2021.
- 週刊ビッグコミックスピリッツ 2016年41号（2016年9月5日発売）. Oricon Book Store (in Japanese). Archived from the original on February 1, 2021. Retrieved February 1, 2021.
- １００万円の女たち １ (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Archived from the original on February 1, 2021. Retrieved February 1, 2021.
- １００万円の女たち ４ (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Archived from the original on February 1, 2021. Retrieved February 1, 2021.
- １００万円の女たち ２ (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Archived from the original on February 1, 2021. Retrieved February 1, 2021.
- １００万円の女たち ３ (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Archived from the original on February 1, 2021. Retrieved February 1, 2021.
- Inc., Natasha. "青野春秋「100万円の女たち」ドラマ化！RADWIMPSの野田洋次郎主演 - コミックナタリー" (in Japanese). Retrieved 2017-08-17.
- "「RADWIMPS」野田洋次郎初主演ドラマ「100万円の女たち」主題歌はコトリンゴ！ : 映画ニュース - 映画.com". 映画.com (in Japanese). Retrieved 2017-08-17.
- "Is Million Yen Women (2017) on Netflix USA? | WhatsNewOnNetflix.com". whatsnewonnetflix.com. Retrieved 2017-08-17.
- [https://web.archive.org/web/20161110040130/http://www.spi-net.jp/weekly/comic060.html Manga Million Yen Women official manga website at Big Comics}} (in Japanese)
- Million Yen Women official drama website at TV Tokyo (in Japanese)