Ministry of Endowments and Religious Affairs (Oman)
|وزارة الأوقاف والشؤون الدينية|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Oman|
The Ministry of Awqaf and Religious Affairs was originally established as the Ministry of Awqaf and Islamic Affairs. The original ministry was merged with the Ministry of Justice to established the Ministry of Justice, Awqaf and Religious Affairs in 1982, until they split up again in the year 1997 creating the ministry in its current name replacing the term "Islamic" with "Religious".
The competences of the Ministry of Awqaf and Religious Affairs are as follows:
- Undertaking the affairs of awqaf and settings strategies and projects to reserve them and develop their resources.
- Preserving the properties of Bayt al-mal.
- Setting strategies for managing zakat (charity).
- Establishing mosques and following all affairs related to them.
- Supervising religious advisory and guidance and preparing nationals to specialise in related fields.
- Developing Quran education.
- Carrying out religious studies and research.
- Coordinating with the concerned authorities the regulation of religious publications and works.
- Supporting and helping pilgrims in their performance of hajj.
- Exchange information and expertise with Arabic and Islamic religious organizations in the field of awqaf and religious affairs.
- Representing the Sultanate in conferences, symposiums and meeting related to awqaf and religious affairs.
Former Senior Officials
- Abdullah bin Salim Al Zidi - appointed Undersecretary for the Ministry of Awqaf and Islamic Affairs in 1979.
- Hilal bin Hamad Alsammar - appointed Minister of Justice, Awqaf, and Islamic Affairs in 1982.
- Abdullah bin Ali Al Khalili - appointed Undersecretary for the Ministry of Justice, Awqaf, and Islamic Affairs in 1982 (for the whole ministry proper).
- Hilal bin Sultan bin Saif Al Hosni - appointed Undersecretary For Awqaf and Islamic Affairs in the Ministry of Justice, Awqaf and Religious Affairs in 1982.
- Hilal bin Saood bin Harib Al Busaidi - appointed Minister of Justice, Awqaf and Islamic Affairs in 1987.
- Reformation of the Council of Ministers, Royal Decree No 31/2011, issued on March 7, 2011
- "Cabinet Ministers". Ministry of Information. Archived from the original on 22 December 2013. Retrieved 9 September 2012.
- Reformation of the Council of Ministers, Royal Decree 85/87, issued on December 16, 1997, published in issue no 614 of the Official Gazette.
- Amending the Ministerial Structure, Royal Decree No 13/82, issued on February 14, 1982.
- Amending the Names of Certain Ministries, Establishing the Ministry of Awqaf and Religious Affairs, and Abolishing the Ministry of Development, Royal Decree No 84/97, issued on December 16, 1997, published in issue no 614 of the Official Gazette
- Specifying the Competences of the Ministry of Awqaf and Religious Affairs and Adopting its Organizational Structure, Royal Decree No 6/99, issued on January 23, 1999, published in issue no 640 of the Official Gazette.
- Royal Decree No 46/79 (Untitled), issued on July 28, 1979.
- Appointing an Undersecretary for Awqaf and Islamic Affairs, Royal Decree No 44/82, issued on May 31, 1982.
- Amending the Ministerial Structure, Royal Decree 92/87, issued on December 30, 1987.