|Type||News website & Twice-weekly newspaper|
|Owner(s)||Minnesota Daily Board of Directors|
|Circulation||10,000: Mondays & Thursdays during Fall/Spring semesters, 7,500: Wednesdays during summer semester|
The Minnesota Daily is the campus newspaper of the University of Minnesota, published Monday and Thursday while school is in session, and published weekly on Wednesdays during summer sessions. Published since 1900, the paper is currently the largest student-run and student-written newspaper in the United States and the fourth-largest paper in the state of Minnesota, behind the Minneapolis Star Tribune and the St. Paul Pioneer Press. The Daily was named best daily college newspaper in the United States in 2009 and 2010 by the Society of Professional Journalists. The paper is independent from the University, but receives $500,000 worth of student service fees funding.
The Daily has a distribution of 12,150 copies per day (Monday and Thursday during the school year) and 10,000 copies per day (Wednesdays during summer) – available at over 200 locations on and near campus free of charge, as it is largely funded by advertising. A typical edition has about a dozen pages. The Daily also provides readers with several special issues, including voters guides, housing guides, survival guides (published the first day of school), "Best of" inserts via the Grapevine Awards Fair (recognizing local businesses) and even parody issues – distributed during finals weeks.
The Minnesota Daily is entirely student-run and student-written, employing more than 150 students with the guidance of a general manager and the governance of its board of directors. The newspaper dually operates as a training institution, providing students with real work experience in journalism, photography, editing, advertising sales, marketing, finance, graphic design, editorial & advertising production, human resources, information systems, public relations, survey research and web programming. In addition, many students gain leadership and delegation skills in the Daily's many management positions.
Starting in 1877, the student newspaper/magazine at the University of Minnesota was called the Ariel. In 1899, another local newspaper called Football was started by Horace Bagley, Mike Luby and Clarence Miller. Unlike the Ariel, it was published daily. In response, the publishers of the Ariel decided to become a daily paper as well, giving birth to the Minnesota Daily.
There have been a number of notable individuals to work at the paper, including former NAACP leader Roy Wilkins, longtime CBS correspondent Harry Reasoner, radio personality Garrison Keillor and musician Bob Dylan.
The Minnesota Daily was the first college newspaper to provide access to its coverage via the Internet in 1990. The Daily website publishes each day's stories in addition to exclusive web videos, photo slideshows, and additional features.
In 2001, the popular "A&E" section of the Daily was suddenly shut down by student managers of the paper, which generated much criticism among readers and Daily alumni. Garrison Keillor, who had written for the section while a student at the university, said the choice to shutter the section "is not a decision that journalists would have made, and it diminishes the prestige of the paper." The section was quickly reestablished.
The Minnesota Daily: Awards & Recognitions
- 2013 - Top 25 under 25
- 2010 – Best All-Around Daily Student Newspaper (1st place)
- 2009 – Best All-Around Daily Student Newspaper (1st place)
- 2005 – Best All-Around Daily Student Newspaper (2nd place)
- 14 Marks of Excellence
- 2011 – Pacemaker Winner (Four-year Daily Newspaper)
- 2009 – Pacemaker Winner (Four-year Daily Newspaper)
- 2008 – Pacemaker Finalist (Four-year Daily Newspaper)
- 2007 – Pacemaker Finalist (Four-year Daily Newspaper)
- 2005 – Best of the Midwest
- 2005 – All-American Rating
- 2005 – First Place (four-year college broadsheet)
- 2005 – Best Arts & Entertainment Section
2007 ACP Newspaper Pacemaker Finalists
- Second place diversity story of the year – Kathryn Nelson
- First place feature photo – Tyler McKean
- First place newspaper page one – Anna Berken
- Second place illustration – Anna Berken and Miranda Moos
2008 ACP Newspaper Pacemaker Finalists
- First place online package – Emma Carew
- Second place sports story of the year – Jake Grovum
- Third place general news photo – Matt Mead
- First place spot news photo – Matt Mead
- Second place spot news photo – Matt Mead
2009 ACP Newspaper Pacemaker Winners
- First place feature photo – Paul Bangasser
- First place spot news photo – Steve Maturen
- Second place illustration – Karina Holtz
- Honorable mention newspage/spread – *Ashley Goetz
- Honorable mention illustration – *Ashley Goetz
- Honorable mention newspaper page one – *Ashley Goetz/Karina Holtz
- 2005 – Best in Category: Media Kit
- 2005 – First Place (classified group promotion – Housing Guide)
- 2008 – First Place Promotional Campaign, Circulation 40k+ (2008 Grapevine Awards)
- 2008 – Designer of the Year
- 2009 – Second Place Best Rate Card/Media Kit
- 2009 – First Place Best Newspaper Marketing Promotion Plan
- 2009 – Third Place Best Sales Incentive Plan
- 2009 – Second Place Best Electronic Banner Ad / House
- Chris Ison- Pulitzer Prize–winning journalist for the Star Tribune. Worked as an editor at the Minnesota Daily and is currently a faculty member at the SJMC. Often regales stories of his time at the Daily as he teaches.
- Alan Bjerga, 2010 president of the National Press Club
- Brian J. Coyle, an American community leader, elected official, and gay activist and writer for the Minnesota Daily in the 1960s
- Keith Maurice Ellison, an American lawyer, politician, and a Democratic member of Congress. While a law student in 1989 and 1990, Ellison wrote several columns as Keith E. Hakim in the Minnesota Daily
- Dick Guindon, American cartoonist best known for his gag panel, Guindon, and cartoonist at the Minnesota Daily
- Robert E. Hillard founder of the public relations agency Fleishman-Hillard in St. Louis, Missouri and editor-in-chief of the Minnesota Daily from 1938–39
- James Lileks, an American journalist, columnist, and blogger and columnist at the Minnesota Daily who wrote under the pen name "James r. Lileks"
- Maud Hart Lovelace, American author best known for the Betsy-Tacy series and former employee of the Minnesota Daily
- Jack Ohman, an American editorial cartoonist and employee for the Daily
- Joe Roche, Iraq War veteran and political commentator who wrote a column for the Daily in the 1990s
- Steve Sack, an American cartoonist who draws the cartoon activity panel Doodles. His editorial cartoons for the Minneapolis Star Tribune won a Pulitzer Prize in 2013. He illustrated features and drew editorial cartoons at the Minnesota Daily
- Eric Sevareid, a CBS journalist who was denied the editor-in-chief spot at the Minnesota Daily by university administration following a controversial column in 1934
- Hugh Smith, news anchor at WTVT in Tampa, Florida from 1963 to 1991 and editor-in-chief of the Minnesota Daily during the 1955–56 academic year.
- Ka Vang, Hmong playwright, fiction writer and poet and reporter at the Daily
- William Wade, American war correspondent during World War II and copy desk chief at the Minnesota Daily from 1936–1939
- Roy Wilkins, a prominent civil rights activist in the United States from the 1930s to the 1970s and the first black journalist at the Minnesota Daily
- City Pages
- St. Paul Pioneer Press
- Star Tribune
- List of newspapers published in Minnesota
- "About Us | mndaily.com - The Minnesota Daily". mndaily.com - The Minnesota Daily. Retrieved 2017-10-31.
- "Top 10 Daily College Newspapers - College Magazine". College Magazine. 2014-07-10. Retrieved 2017-10-31.
- "SPJ announces 2009 Mark of Excellence national winners". www.spj.org.
- Reed, Travis (2000-02-23). "Early Daily dominated by sports". Archived from the original on 2007-09-30. Retrieved 2007-08-08.
- The General Alumni Association (1928). Martin Newell (ed.). The History of Minnesota Football. The General Alumni Association of the University of Minnesota. p. 11.
- "Minnesota History: Roy Wilkins a quiet warrior against 'awful hatred'". Star Tribune. Retrieved 2017-10-31.
- Harry Reasoner A Life in the News. Daniel, Douglass K. Univ of Texas Pr. 2009. ISBN 9780292722170. OCLC 320191617.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "The Daily News: Floating on the Stormy Sea of Beer and Straight Vodka - Garrison Keillor". Garrison Keillor. 2013-11-06. Retrieved 2017-10-31.
- Monaghan, Peter (March 2001). "At the U. of Minnesota, a Death at the Daily". Chronicle of Higher Education (March 23, 2001).