Dupree modeling her "Liz" Store merchandise 2014
Monique Gata Dupree|
December 10, 1974
Newark, New Jersey, U.S.
|Occupation||actress, singer, producer, store owner|
|Spouse(s)||Anthony Saint Thomas|
Monique Gata Dupree (born December 10, 1974) is an American singer and a B-movie horror actress, producer and mother of ten, often referred to as Tha True Original Gata or the First Black Scream Queen.
Life and career
Monique Dupree was born in Newark, New Jersey.
Her film career began at the age of 14, when she appeared in the 1989 Morgan Freeman film Lean On Me, about school principal Joe Clark. It was then that she realized that she wanted to pursue acting as a career. By the age of 18, she had done numerous stage productions, including the play Cry of the People by Robert Banks. Dupree's career saw success when she appeared on Fangoria Radio for a "Scream Queen" contest, for it was then that she first met Lloyd Kaufman of Troma Entertainment, who, in turn, signed her to a role in the movie Pot Zombies.
After her initial encounter with Kaufman, Dupree acted in over 60 films, as of the middle of April 2017, including American Gangster, Life Support, The Replacements, Satan Hates You, and Bikini Bloodbath Christmas. She also appeared, wearing extensive makeup in character, as the vampire Emerald in the film Bachelor Party in the Bungalow of the Damned. In 2006, Dupree was named Silver Bullet Pictures's "Scream Queen of the Year".
Dupree's experience also included her having worked as a model. In working with Troma Entertainment in films, she was the first African American "Tromette," and the first to be a Tromette twice. She appeared in numerous magazines across the world, including The Autograph Collector Magazine and Primera Linea. She also worked as a comicbook model. In Gingerstein: Rise of the Undead, she acted out the character of Edie Van Horne.
Dupree is also known, chiefly in the music world, as "Tha True Original Gata.™" She is lead singer of the musical team Negro Childe.
As a conventioneer
"The Double Ds" of pro wrestling
In her recent career, Dupree has been a pro wrestler for the promotion House of Hardcore along with her daughter, Monet Dupree. Together, they are called "The Double D(upree)s."
This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dupree married[when?] Anthony Saint Thomas; the 10 children they have between them are all in the entertainment industry in some form or fashion.
Monique also has a host of siblings from both her mother's and her father's side of the family. Her most notable sibling is the iconic Tony Todd, who, in his own right, was known for Candyman, The Rock, and many other titles.
- Plan 9 2015
- Post Mortem, America 2013
- Dead Woman's Hallow 2013
- Sherrif Tom Vs. The Zombies 2013
- Skeleton Key 3: The Organ Trail 2011
- The Trouble With Bliss 2011
- The Good Parts 2010
- Spirit 2010
- Royal Pains 2010
- Spade 2010
- Step Up 3-D 2010
- 2 Guns a Grenade and a Pizza Guy 2010
- The Lovecraft Chronicles 2010
- Horror Vault 3 2010
- Satan Hates You 2010
- Play Dead 2010
- Satan Hates You 2010
- Heavy Mental 2009
- Zombthology 2009
- Handsome Harry 2009
- The Superagent 2009
- Caged Lesbos A-Go-Go 2009
- Welcome to My Darkside 2009
- Cottonmouth 2009
- Z Rock 2009
- Timo Rose's Beast 2009
- Skeleton Key 2: 667 Neighbor of the Beast 2008
- The Tyra Banks Show 2008
- Law & Order 2008
- Zombthology 2008
- Bikini Bloodbath Christmas 2009
- One Night 2007
- Pants Off Dance Off 2007
- Life Support 2007
- The Ten 2007
- Heavy Mental 2007
- American Gangster 2007
- Bachelor Party in the Bungalow of the Damned 2006
- Pot Zombies 2005
- The Replacements 2000
- Lean On Me 1989
- Sci Fi España January 8, 2008, Vol. 1, Iss. 19, pg. 65
- Autograph Collector Magazine November 1, 2008, pg. 36
- The YO Magazine December 6, 2007, Vol. 1, Iss. 2
- Sirens of Cinema July 10, 2008, Vol. 2, Iss. 12, pg. 40-41
- Fangoria Magazine[volume & issue needed]
- Scars Magazine 2009 Calendar
- Spanish GQ July/August 2008, Iss.135
- Shriekfreak Quarterly[volume & issue needed]
- Primera Linea November 1, 2008, pg. 64, 66
- Official site
- Monique Dupree on IMDb
- Monique Dupree featured on WeSerious[permanent dead link]