Montreal Quebec Temple
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Montreal Quebec Temple|
|Dedication||4 June 2000
Gordon B. Hinckley
|Site||2.4 acres (1 hectare)|
|Floor area||10,700 sq ft (990 m2)|
|Height||71 ft (22 m)|
|Preceded by||Villahermosa Mexico Temple|
|Followed by||San José Costa Rica Temple|
|Official website • News & images|
The temple was announced on August 6, 1998, and was the sixth temple to be built in Canada. It was also one of the temples announced with a long list of others, which LDS Church president Gordon B. Hinckley hoped to have completed by the end of 2000 in order to have 100 operating temples throughout the world.
Gary J. Coleman, of the Seventy, presided at a site dedication and groundbreaking ceremony held on April 9, 1999. The temple sits on a 2.4-acre (0.97 ha) plot in the city of Longueuil. The temple was open to the public for tours of the interior May 20–27, 2000. Despite the short duration of the open house, more than 10,000 people toured the temple.
Hinckley dedicated the Montreal Quebec Temple on June 4, 2000. Before the dedication began, a cornerstone ceremony was held to officially complete the construction of the temple. Hinckley placed the cornerstone and had help from local children in placing the mortar. Around 6,000 members attended the four dedicatory sessions of the temple. The temple serves more than 12,200 church members from the Montréal; Ottawa, Ontario; Montpelier, Vermont; and upstate New York areas.
The temple has a total of 10,700 square feet (990 m2), two ordinance rooms, and two sealing rooms. The exterior finish is made of Bethel white granite from northern Vermont.
The temple closed for renovations in 2014. A public open house was held from Thursday, 5 November 2015, through Saturday, 14 November 2015, excluding Sunday. The temple was rededicated on Sunday, November 22, 2015 by Henry B. Eyring.
- Comparison of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by geographic region
- Temple architecture (Latter-day Saints)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Canada
- "Montreal Quebec Temple Opens Following Rededication", Newsroom, LDS Church, 2015-11-22
- Montreal Quebec (lds.org)
- Several dozen temples, built from identical plans.
- "Montreal Quebec Temple". LDSChurchTemples.com.
- "Facts and figures: Montreal Quebec Temple", Church News, June 10, 2000
- "Dream of Quebec temple near reality with groundbreaking", Church News, April 17, 1999
- "Montreal Quebec: 'That time cannot break'", Church News, June 10, 2000
- "Open House and Rededication Dates Announced for Montreal Quebec Temple", Newsroom, LDS Church, 2015-04-30
- "Temple dedications planned", Church News, April 8, 2000
- Dockstader, Julie (June 10, 2000), "Pres. Monson returns to land, people he loves", Church News
- Dockstader, Julie (June 10, 2000), "Montreal temple highlight of 40 years of progress", Church News
- Dockstader, Julie (July 22, 2000), "Meeting the world in Montreal", Church News