|Southampton City Primary Care Trust|
|Location||West End, Hampshire, England, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Emergency department||No Accident & Emergency|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
The hospital has its origins in the South Stoneham Union Workhouse designed by Charles Henman and William Hinves and built at a cost of £7,000 in 1848. The workhouse became a Public Assistance Institution known as the West End Institution in 1930 and it converted into a health facility and became known as Moorgreen Hospital on joining the National Health Service in 1948. Countess Mountbatten House, which was then only the United Kingdom's second NHS palliative care hospice opened on the site in 1977. Facilities created in the hospice included 27 beds and a day care centre with physiotherapy facilities.
Mental health services were transferred into a newly-refurbished facility known as the Tom Rudd Unit in 2007. Although much of the site closed at that time, the Tom Rudd Unit was refurbished and has housed the Willow Assessment and Treatment Unit, operated by Southern Health for adults with complex learning disabilities, since 2012.
Although Countess Mountbatten House and the Tom Rudd Unit remain operational, the rest of the hospital site was redeveloped for residential purposes in 2017. The main workhouse building and the two gatehouses, which are all grade II listed, were retained and converted into 19 flats, while the other former hospital buildings on the site were demolished and replaced by newer buildings.
- Preston, Richard. "William Hinves and Alfred Bedborough: architects in nineteenth-century Southampton" (PDF). Southampton Local History Forum Journal. Southampton City Council. pp. 15–16. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 January 2013. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- "Moorgreen Hospital". National Archives. Retrieved 26 August 2018.
- "History of Countess Mountbatten House". Countess Mountbatten House Charity. Retrieved 26 August 2018.
- "Countess Mountbatten House". Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- "A health plan for Greater Southampton" (PDF). 4 March 2006. p. 8. Retrieved 26 August 2018.
- "Willow Assessment and Treatment Unit". Southern Health. Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust. Retrieved 3 January 2017.
- "Residents split over plans for vacant Moorgreen site". Daily Echo. Retrieved 3 January 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Moorgreen Hospital.|