MuchVibe (TV channel)
|Launched||September 7, 2001|
|Owned by||Bell Media|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Slogan||Full of Urban Flavours|
|Available on many Canadian cable systems||Check local listings|
|Optik TV||Channel 250|
MuchVibe is a Canadian English language Category B specialty channel owned by Bell Media. The channel broadcasts urban music programming such as rap, hip hop, R&B, and reggae. Programming is primarily in the form of music videos with other programming including concerts and interviews. The channel is fashioned after the former MuchMusic original program, MuchVibe.
In November 2000, CHUM Limited was granted approval by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to launch MuchVibe, described as "a national English-language Category 2 music video specialty television service dedicated to Urban music (HipHop, Rap, R&B, Soul and Reggae) and Urban music-related programming."
The channel launched on September 7, 2001.
In July 2006, Bell Globemedia (later called CTVglobemedia) announced that it would purchase CHUM for an estimated $1.7 billion CAD, included in the sale was MuchVibe. The sale was subject to CRTC approval and was approved in June 2007, with the transaction completed on June 22, 2007.
While the channel, from its inception, had always been an ad-supported service, on August 31, 2009, commercial advertising was dropped from the music video portion of the channel's schedule. The only remaining commercials existed in programs such as concerts or other special programming.
On September 10, 2010, BCE (a minority shareholder in CTVglobemedia) announced that it planned to acquire 100% interest in CTVglobemedia for a total debt and equity transaction cost of $3.2 billion CAD. The deal was approved by the CRTC on March 7, 2011 and closed on April 1 of that year, when CTVglobemedia was rebranded Bell Media.
- Decision CRTC 2000-519 CRTC 2000-12-14
- The history of CHUM Globe and Mail article 2006-06-12
- Bell Globemedia acquires CHUM; Fasken Martineau; 2006-07-12
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2007-165; CRTC; 2007-06-08
- More Music Videos as MuchVibe, MuchLOUD, MuchMoreRetro, and PunchMuch go commercial-free Channel Canada 2009-08-26
- Bell Canada (2010-09-10). "Bell to acquire 100% of Canada's No.1 media company CTV". CNW Group. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- CRTC approves BCE's purchase of CTVglobemedia
- Bell completes acquisition of CTV, launches Bell Media business unit CNW 2011-04-01
|This article about television in Canada is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|