My Name Is Barbra
|My Name Is Barbra|
|Studio album by Barbra Streisand|
|Barbra Streisand chronology|
My Name Is Barbra is the first of two studio album tie-ins to Barbra Streisand's Emmy Award-winning CBS debut My Name Is Barbra television special, which aired on April 28, 1965, directed and choreographed by Joe Layton. Barbra's brother shot the front cover photograph when she was 5.
The album was certified gold and peaked at #2 on the US charts.
A digitally restored / remastered CD was released.
- "Why Did I Choose You?" - On the CD, the long version (3:46) appears, but on the vinyl LP the short version (2:46) appears.
- "Where Is The Wonder" was contributed by Dion McGregor and his roommate Michael Barr, and one of the few times they were successful in getting one of their songs recorded. It was also released as a single. McGregor and Barr had sent many songs to publishers and been unsuccessful in getting them recorded, so they saw Barbra's rendition as a breakthrough in their songwriting career. Whilst McGregor was not a performer himself, he did become known for his elaborate sleeptalking, as recorded by Barr and chronicled on the Decca LP "The Dream World Of Dion McGregor" the previous year, as well as on several archival releases since.
In NRARS award, Barbra was named best-selling female vocalist of 1965.
- "My Name Is Barbra" (Leonard Bernstein) – 0:53
- a. "A Kid Again" (Johnny Melfi, Roger Perry) – 1:27
b. "I'm Five" (Milton Schafer) – 0:38
- "Jenny Rebecca" (Carol Hall) – 3:03
- "My Pa" (Michael Leonard, Herbert Martin) – 2:30
- "Sweet Zoo" (Jeffrey D. Harris) – 1:36
- "Where Is The Wonder" (Michael Barr, Dion McGregor) – 2:18
- "I Can See It" (Tom Jones, Harvey Schmidt) – 3:06
- "Someone to Watch Over Me" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) – 2:43
- "I've Got No Strings" (Leigh Harline, Ned Washington) – 2:49
- "If You Were the Only Boy in the World" (Nat Ayer, Clifford Grey) – 3:28
- "Why Did I Choose You?" (Michael Leonard, Herbert Martin) – CD: 3:46/Vinyl: 2:49
- "My Man" (Jacques Charles, Channing Pollock, Albert Willemetz, Maurice Yvain) – 2:57
- "Why Did I Choose You?" / "My Love" 1965
- "My Man" / "Where Is The Wonder " 1965
Charts and certifications
|US Billboard 200||2|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Nielsen Business Media, Inc. (26 March 1966). Night of the Grammy a 14-Carat Gala. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. pp. 6–. ISSN 0006-2510.
- 'Color Me Barbra' new TV special. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. 26 March 1966. pp. 4–. ISSN 0006-2510.
- "Barbra Streisand – Chart history" Billboard 200 for Barbra Streisand. Retrieved March 29, 2016.
- "American album certifications – Barbra Streisand – My Name Is Barbra". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
|This 1960s album–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|