My Son Is Gay
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|My Son Is Gay|
|Directed by||Lokesh Kumar|
Abishek Joseph George
|Music by||Santhan Anebajagane|
|Edited by||Dani Charles|
My Son Is Gay is a 2018 Tamil-language Indian feature film. It is a tale of a gay man coming out and the impact it has on his relationship with his mother and other people around them. Lokesh Kumar, a filmmaker from Chennai, India, wrote and directed the film. The film is about acceptance, tolerance, and the right of marginalized people to live with dignity in mainstream of society. The film has won three awards so far. The film to be released in the middle of 2018.
Lakshmi is a mother and a no-nonsense school principal. Her life is uncomplicated and safe and she is blissfully unaware of the storm brewing that will threaten everything she believes in. She loves her son Varun, a cheerful and a carefree young man who is devoted to her. Varun always knew he was different from other boys, but felt secure in his mother's love. That security is shattered when Lakshmi discovers Varun is gay and rejects him. Varun finds love with Karthik, but he will never be as happy as he once was. Lakshmi can't bear the loss of her son and sets out to find him.
The project began as a Hindi-language feature film in 2013. The makers made an unsuccessful attempt at crowd-funding and put the film on hold for almost two years. In early 2016 the makers and Anil Saxena (producer) hired a mostly new cast and crew to produce it in Tamil. The film was completed by early 2017 and saw its world premiere at the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne. It was selected to be shown at the New York LGBT Film Festival in October 2017. The film was also selected in Dialogues Kolkata LGBT fest and had its Indian Premiere there. The film had its Chennai Premiere in 15th Chennai International Film Festival by December 2017. The film had great response in Kolkata and Chennai. Movie location shoot: mainly at Malabar Cove in Kannur, North Kerala, South India (near the famous Drive-in Beach of Muzhappilangad)
- Anupama Kumar as Lakshmi
- Ashwinjith as Varun
- Abishek Joseph George as Karthik
- Jayaprakash as Dr Ram
- Kishore as Gopi
- Sriranjani as Uma
- Eswari as Chandrama
- Sharath as Rohit
- Maya as Maya
- Sharukh Ahmed as Sharukh
- Sowmith Yadav as Aakash
- Yellapantula, Suhas (2014-05-09). "Crowd-funding a talking point". Indian Express.
- "Acting in gay-themed movie no big deal: Anupama Kumar". Pinkvilla.
- "Filmmaker Lokesh: "My Son is Gay", about an emotional relationship between a mother and her gay son". India TV. 2014-04-10.
- "The other angle". The Hindu. Retrieved 2017-09-04.
- Jyoti, Dhrubo (2014-05-14). "My Son is Gay: How A Bold New Feature Is Taking Indian Queer Cinema By Storm". Gaylaxy Magazine.
- Pawar, Yogesh (2014-05-18). "A look at 'My Son Is Gay' - India's first crowd-funded LGBT film". DNA.
- Balachandran, Logesh (2016-02-25). "A film on gay love in Tamil". The Times of India.