NCAA Division I independent schools
There is currently one institution listed as Division I Independent in baseball:
|NYIT||Bears||Old Westbury, New York||1955||Private||14,000||East Coast Conference (Div II)|
There are no independent programs in NCAA Division I basketball as of the 2016–17 season.
Football Bowl Subdivision
There are currently four NCAA Division I FBS independent schools.
|Institution||Founded||Nickname||First season||Location||Type||Enrollment||Primary conference|
|United States Military Academy
|1802||Black Knights||1890||West Point, New York||Federal||4,294||Patriot League|
|Brigham Young University||1875||Cougars||1922||Provo, Utah||Private||29,672||West Coast Conference|
|University of Massachusetts Amherst||1863||Minutemen||1879||Amherst, Massachusetts||Public||29,269||Atlantic 10|
|University of Notre Dame||1842||Fighting Irish||1887||Notre Dame, Indiana||Private||12,179||Atlantic Coast Conference
- Notre Dame remains officially an independent football team, and is not a member of the ACC in any capacity for football. However, as part of the agreement to join the ACC in other sports, Notre Dame agreed to schedule 5 games per year against ACC opponents.
Football Championship Subdivision
There is currently one NCAA Division I FCS independent school. Coastal Carolina began a two-year transition from FCS to the Football Bowl Subdivision in July 2016, when its non-football sports joined the FBS Sun Belt Conference. The Chanticleers will join Sun Belt football in 2017, with full FBS membership following in 2018.
|Institution||Location||Founded||Type||Enrollment||Nickname||Future Conference||Year Leaving|
|Coastal Carolina University||Conway, SC||1957||Public||10,263||Chanticleers||Sun Belt Conference||2017|
There is currently one NCAA Division I independent in men's ice hockey. The Sun Devils moved up from club hockey in the ACHA to full varsity status. Arizona State will start playing a full Division I schedule in 2016–17, and expects to be in a hockey conference for 2017–18.
|Arizona State University||Sun Devils||Tempe, Arizona||1885||Public||50,246||2015–present||Pac-12 Conference|
There is currently one NCAA Division I independent in women's ice hockey. The Sacred Heart Pioneers moved up from Division III (where they were a member of the ECAC East) in 2003. Its men's team plays in Atlantic Hockey, which does not sponsor women's hockey.
|Sacred Heart University||Pioneers||Fairfield, Connecticut||1963||Private||7,465||2003–present||Northeast Conference|
There are currently no men's soccer independents as of the 2016 season.
The last NCAA men's soccer season which included independent schools was the 2013 season, in which five schools played as independents. All of these schools left the independent ranks after that season. Two of these are now in the Sun Belt Conference, which reinstated men's soccer as a sponsored sport in 2014; a third played in the Sun Belt for two years until joining the Atlantic Sun Conference (ASUN) in 2016. At the time the Sun Belt relaunched its men's soccer league, Georgia State University was already a full Sun Belt member, while Howard University and the New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) became Sun Belt affiliates. Belmont University became an affiliate of the Horizon League, and the University of the Incarnate Word became an affiliate of the Western Athletic Conference.
Three schools are independents in women's soccer. The most recent departure from the independent ranks was NJIT, which joined the ASUN as a full member (though not initially in men's soccer) in 2015.
|Delaware State University||Hornets||Dover, Delaware||1891||Public||3,400||Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference|
|Hampton University||Lady Pirates||Hampton, Virginia||1868||Private||4,500||Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference|
|South Carolina State University||Lady Bulldogs||Orangeburg, South Carolina||1896||Public||3,000||Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference|
- "Notre Dame Goes To ACC: Bowl Security, Football Scheduling Flexibility Key To Move". Sports Business Daily. Street and Smith’s Sports Group. September 13, 2012. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- "Coastal Carolina Announces 2016 Football Schedule" (Press release). Coastal Carolina Athletics. March 1, 2016. Retrieved March 17, 2016.
"This is an important year for our program as we start our transition to the FBS," said fifth-year head coach Joe Moglia. "However, we are still an FCS independent this year and have put together a nationally-competitive schedule to reflect that.
- "About CCU". Coastal Carolina University. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
Total Enrollment: 10,263 students (Fall 2015)
- "Sun Devil Athletics Announces Addition of Men's Ice Hockey as NCAA Sport" (Press release). Arizona State Athletics. November 18, 2014. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- "Statistics :: History :: Sacred :: Women's Hockey :: USCHO.com :: U.S. College Hockey Online". USCHO.com. Retrieved April 21, 2010.
- "Sun Belt Men's Soccer to Re-Debut in Fall 2014" (Press release). Sun Belt Conference. February 11, 2014. Retrieved February 13, 2014.
- "Belmont University to Join Horizon League as Affiliate Member" (Press release). Horizon League. April 21, 2014. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- "UIW Joins WAC as Affiliate Member in Men's Soccer" (Press release). Western Athletic Conference. December 18, 2013. Retrieved February 28, 2014.
- "New Jersey Institute of Technology to Join the Atlantic Sun: #NJITtoASun" (Press release). Atlantic Sun Conference. June 12, 2015. Retrieved June 12, 2015.