|Initial release||August 2011OS X)
February 2016 (Windows)
2.4.623 / September 2015(Mac OS X)
126.96.36.1994 / February 2016 (Windows)
|Operating system||OS X v.10.6 +,
|Type||Wireless site survey|
|License||free, or paid|
NetSpot is a software tool for wireless network assessment, scanning, and surveys, analyzing Wi-Fi coverage and performance. It runs on Mac OS X 10.6+ and Windows 7-8-10 and supports 802.11n, 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g wireless networks. NetSpot uses the standard Wi-Fi network adapter and its Airport interface to map radio signal strength and other wireless network parameters, and build reports on that. NetSpot was released in August, 2011 and available at MacApp Store.
NetSpot provides all professional wireless site survey features for Wi-Fi and maps coverage of a living area, office space, buildings, etc. It provides visual data to help analyze radio signal leaks, discover noise sources, map channel use, optimize access point locations. Also, the application can perform Wi-Fi network planning: the data that are collected help to select channels and placements for new hotspots. Survey reports can be generated in PDF format.
- Mapping Wi-Fi
- Mapping Wi-Fi signal strength
- Optimizing networks
- Trouble-shooting networks
- Visualizing wireless networks
- Diagnosing signal problems
- Analyzing wireless network coverage
|Version||Platform||Release date||Notes and significant changes|
- iStumbler – an open source utility to find wireless networks and devices in Mac OS X
- KisMAC – a wireless network discovery tool for Mac OS X
- WiFi Explorer – a wireless network scanner for Mac OS X
- Matt Elliott. "Find the dead spots in your Wi-Fi network with NetSpot". Retrieved December 21, 2015.
- MacNN. "NetSpot offers free Wi-Fi network surveying software". Retrieved August 12, 2011.
- Mac App Store. "NetSpot: WiFi survey & wireless scanner".
- "NetSpot: WiFi Site Survey for the Rest of Us".
- "Create a WiFi signal strength map with NetSpot for Mac :: by Techerator".
- "NetSpot helps you optimize your Wi-Fi networks :: by Macworld". 2011-11-29.
- "Trouble-shoot your WiFi network with NetSpot :: by Dr. Macenstein".
- "Mac-NZ review :: NetSpot WiFi visualisation software".
- "Diagnose Wi-Fi Signal Problems With NetSpot :: Lifehacker".
- "Analyze Wireless Network Coverage In Mac With NetSpot Survey Software :: by Addictivetips".
- "NetSpot – The only Native Wireless Site Survey Software for Mac".
- "NetSpot 1.1 - new version of Wi-Fi mapping software for Mac".
- "NetSpot 1.3 release notes: what's new, what's hot in this update". 2012-07-03.
- "How To use your Mac to survey your home or office Wi-Fi network". 2012-10-19.
- "NetSpot 2.1 Release Notes: What's New in Version 2.1?". 2012-05-24.