This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (January 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Focus||Health care policy in three broad areas: Medical Innovation; Waste and Inefficiency in Health Care; and Wellness and Chronic Disease Prevention|
|Method||Collaboration, Research, Policy Change|
|Wendy Everett, President and |
Valerie Fleishman, Executive Director
NEHI (Network for Excellence in Health Innovation, formerly New England Healthcare Institute) is a member-based, non-partisan research and policy organization.
NEHI was founded in 2002 as the "New England Healthcare Institute" with 21 founding members. Today it has more than 80 member companies representing the different sectors of health care. In 2002, Wendy Everett became the organization’s president and Valerie Fleishman was hired as its executive director. Currently, NEHI has published more than 20 publications regarding innovative ways to improve health care nationally. Its first report, Economic Contributions of the Health Care Industry to New England, was published in 2003. In 2004, NEHI created and published two reports on innovative technologies to treat cancer and heart failure. In 2005, NEHI established a partnership with The Boston Foundation for “The Greater Boston Health Care Economy” project. In 2008, NEHI published the first reports ever to identify areas to reduce wasteful spending and inefficiencies in health care. In January, 2011 the organization officially dropped the acronym expansion referencing a regional affiliation and opened up offices in Washington, DC and San Francisco. NEHI has since made further efforts to garner national presence with a 2014 name expansion to NEHI (Network for Excellence in Health Innovation).
NEHI is led by Chief Executive Officer Wendy Everett, ScD, and Executive Director, Valerie Fleishman. It was founded by a group of high-profile health care leaders:
- Henri Termeer, then-CEO, Genzyme
- Joseph B. Martin, MD, PhD, then Dean of Harvard Medical School
- Sam Thier, MD, then CEO, Partners HealthCare
- Fred Telling, PhD, then VP of Corporate Policy and Strategic Management, Pfizer
- Charlie Baker, CEO, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
As of April 2014, NEHI’s members include:
- ABIOMED, Inc.
- Advanced ICU Care
- Alkermes, Inc.
- Alkeus Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- American Associate of Colleges of Pharmacy
- American Cancer Society - New England
- American Diabetes Association
- American Osteopathic Association
- Anthurium Solutions, Inc.
- APCO Worldwide
- Arthritis Foundation, New England Region
- Association of American Medical Colleges
- AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP
- Best Doctors
- Biotechnology Industry Organization
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Association
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
- Boston Healthcare Associates
- Bristol-Myers Squibb
- California Healthcare Institute
- Caregiver Action Network
- Center for Applied Research
- COPD Foundation
- CVS Caremark
- DePuy Mitek, Inc.
- Dovetail Health
- Eliza Corporation
- EMC Corporation
- EMD Serono, Inc.
- Endo Pharmaceuticals
- Ernst & Young, LLP
- Fallon Community Health Plan
- Foley Hoag, LLP
- The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
- Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
- The Healthcare Compliance Packaging Council
- Healthcare Institute of New Jersey
- Hospital Corporation of America
- Health Dialog Services Corporation
- Joslin Diabetes Center
- Kaiser Permanente
- King & Spalding, LLP
- Lockheed Martin Corporation
- Malley & Franey Financial Group, Inc.
- Massachusetts Biotechnology Council
- Massachusetts Council of Community Hospitals
- Massachusetts Life Sciences Center
- Massachusetts Medical Society
- Massachusetts Technology Collaborative
- McKinsey & Company
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- MWV Healthcare
- National Association of Chain Drug Stores Foundation
- National Community Pharmacists Association
- National Consumers League
- National Family Caregivers Association
- National Pharmaceutical Council
- Network Health
- New England Council
- Novartis Vaccines & Diagnostics
- Novo Nordisk, Inc.
- Onyx Pharmaceuticals
- Organogenesis Inc.
- Oxford Bioscience Partners
- PAREXEL International, Inc.
- Partners HealthCare System
- Philips Healthcare
- PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
- Project Hope
- Scott & White Healthcare
- Silverlink Communications, Inc.
- Steward Health Care System, LLC
- Tufts Center for the Study of Drug Development
- Tufts Health Plan
- Tufts University School of Medicine
- UCLA Health System
- UK Trade & Investment
- University of Massachusetts Medical School
- Verisk Health
- WellPoint, Inc.
- "NEHI Goes Pure Acronym | CommonHealth". Commonhealth.wbur.org. 2011-01-18. Retrieved 2012-06-16.
- Building on a System of Outreach, Collaboration by Joshua Boger, Boston Globe May 7, 2007 , www.nehi.net
- "Valerie Fleishman - Boston Business Journal". Bizjournals.com. 2008-10-06. Retrieved 2012-06-16.
- T:\COMMUNICATIONS\Media\Coverage Archive\NEHI in the News\2003\2003-0218-03 The Boston Globe.htm
- "Healthy People in a Healthy Economy: A Blueprint for Action in Massachusetts". Tbf.org. Retrieved 2012-06-16.