New Year's Revolution (2006)
|New Year's Revolution (2006)|
Promotional poster featuring John Cena and the Elimination Chamber in the background.
|Tagline(s)||The Elimination Chamber; 10 Tons of Steel. 2 Miles of Chain. One Man Left Standing.|
|"Stricken" by Disturbed|
|Promotion||World Wrestling Entertainment|
|Sponsor(s)||Specialty Board Games WWE Board Game|
|Date||January 8, 2006|
|City||Albany, New York|
|New Year's Revolution chronology|
New Year's Revolution (2006) was the second annual New Year's Revolution pay-per-view (PPV) event produced by World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE). It took place on January 8, 2006, at the Pepsi Arena in Albany, New York and starred talent from the Raw brand.
The main event was an Elimination Chamber match for the WWE Championship involving champion John Cena, Kurt Angle, Shawn Michaels, Kane, Carlito, and Chris Masters. Cena won the match and retained the title after last eliminating Carlito. After the match, Edge cashed in his Money in the Bank contract and defeated Cena to win the WWE Championship. One of the predominant matches on the card was Triple H versus The Big Show, which Triple H won by pinfall after executing a Pedigree. Another primary match on the undercard was Ric Flair versus Edge for the WWE Intercontinental Championship, which Flair won after Edge got himself intentionally disqualified.
On the December 5, 2005, episode of Raw, Eric Bischoff announced an Elimination Chamber match for John Cena's WWE Championship at New Year's Revolution. On December 12, qualifying matches for the Elimination Chamber match occurred. Kurt Angle qualified after defeating Ric Flair, Carlito qualified after defeating Shelton Benjamin, Shawn Michaels qualified after defeating The Big Show by disqualification, Chris Masters qualified after defeating Viscera and finally Kane qualified after defeating Triple H with help from his partner Big Show.
On the November 28, Triple H bragged about Ric Flair's destruction until the Big Show came and confronted him. On the December 12 episode of Raw, Show faced Shawn Michaels in an Elimination Chamber qualifying match until Triple H came down and hit Michaels with a steel chair, intentionally disqualifying Show. Thus, Michaels qualified for the Elimination Chamber match. Later that same night, Triple H faced Show's World Tag Team Championship partner Kane in an Elimination Chamber qualifying match. Show interrupted in the match and helped Kane beat Triple H to qualify.
The third feud heading into the event involved Intercontinental Champion Ric Flair and Edge. Their rivalry began on the December 5 episode of Raw when Edge's interview segment, The Cutting Edge, debuted. Edge and Lita insulted Flair so much that Sgt. Slaughter and Michael Hayes shut down the segment. Edge attacked both men and left them laid into the ring.
Before the event went live on pay-per-view, Chavo Guerrero defeated Gene Snitsky in a Heat match. The opening match was Ric Flair against Edge for the Intercontinental Championship. Flair attempted to apply the figure four leglock on Edge but Lita distracted Flair, leading to Flair applying the Figure Four Leglock on Lita. Edge attacked Flair with his Money in the Bank, thus being disqualified and losing the match.
In the next match, Trish Stratus faced Mickie James for the WWE Women's Championship. James executed Stratusfaction and then attempted a Mick Kick but Stratus countered with a Chick Kick to retain the title.
The sixth match was the first Bra & Panties Gauntlet match. Maria Kanellis encountered Vince's Devils (Candice Michelle, Victoria, and Torrie Wilson) in the match. Maria faced Candice Michelle and stripped her and Torrie Wilson. Maria was unable to strip Victoria, who instead stripped Maria. The Fabulous Moolah and Mae Young made a surprise appearance, beginning to strip Victoria. When Moolah and Young left, Ashley Massaro quickly came to the ring and won the match after removing Victoria's pants.
In the main event, John Cena faced Shawn Michaels, Kurt Angle, World Tag Team Champion Kane, Carlito and Chris Masters in an Elimination Chamber match for the WWE Championship. Michaels and Cena began the match and Carlito and Angle were the third and fourth entrants. As Angle entered, he suplexed the other three men, catapulted Michaels into the Chamber wall and threw him into a chamber pod. Angle applied the ankle lock on Carlito until Chris Masters entered and attacked Angle. Angle applied the ankle lock on Cena but Michaels performed Sweet Chin Music on Angle to eliminate him. Kane entered the match and chokeslams participants. Carlito and Masters formed an alliance, double-teaming Kane to eliminate him. Michaels performed a diving elbow drop and Sweet Chin Music on Cena but Carlito executed a rolling cutter and pinned Michaels to eliminate him. Masters performed a DDT on Cena onto the chamber floor. Carlito and Masters attacked Cena and Carlito ordered Masters to apply the Masterlock on Cena. Masters did so until Carlito turned on Masters, attacking him a low blow. Carlito rolled up Masters to eliminate him and then Cena rolled up Carlito to win the match and retain the title.
As Cena was attempting to recover, Vince McMahon came out, announcing that Edge was cashing in Money in the Bank. Edge Speared Cena for a near-fall. Edge Speared Cena again to win the title.
After the Elimination Chamber match, Kurt Angle moved to SmackDown! on January 13 when he participated in the 20-man battle royal for the vacant World Heavyweight Championship. Angle won the battle royal by last eliminating Mark Henry and became the new World Heavyweight Champion.
John Cena and Edge continued to feud over the WWE Championship. On the January 9 episode of Raw, Edge and Lita had a live sex celebration, which was crashed by Cena. Edge escaped from the ring while Cena and Lita were alone in the ring. Cena performed his finishing move, the FU on her to end the segment. Their rivalry led to a WWE Championship rematch at the Royal Rumble, which Cena won.
Tension between Trish Stratus and Mickie James continued to build following New Year's Revolution. After the duo defeated Candice Michelle and Victoria at Saturday Night's Main Event, James again attempted to kiss Stratus, but was rebuffed. James attacked Stratus, leading to a rematch for the WWE Women's Championship at WrestleMania 22, which James won, earning her first Women's Championship.
|1H||Chavo Guerrero defeated Snitsky||Singles match||05:13|
|2||Ric Flair (c) defeated Edge (with Lita) by disqualification||Singles match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship||07:17|
|3||Trish Stratus (c) defeated Mickie James||Singles match for the WWE Women's Championship||07:18|
|4||Jerry Lawler defeated Gregory Helms||Singles match||09:32|
|5||Triple H defeated Big Show||Singles match||16:11|
|6||Shelton Benjamin (with Momma Benjamin) defeated Viscera||Singles match||07:48|
|7||Ashley Massaro defeated Maria, Torrie Wilson, Victoria, and Candice Michelle||Bra & Panties Gauntlet match||11:01|
|8||John Cena (c) defeated Carlito, Chris Masters, Shawn Michaels, Kane, and Kurt Angle||Elimination Chamber match for the WWE Championship||28:25|
|9||Edge (with Lita) defeated John Cena (c)||Singles match for the WWE Championship
This was Edge's Money in the Bank cash in match
Elimination Chamber entrances and eliminations
|Elimination no.||Wrestler||Entered||Eliminated by||Method of elimination||Time|
|1||Kurt Angle||4||Shawn Michaels||Pinned after Sweet Chin Music||13:58|
|2||Kane||6||Carlito & Chris Masters||Pinned after a double DDT followed by Carlito being slammed onto Kane||19:24|
|3||Shawn Michaels||2||Carlito||Pinned after an inverted facelock spun out into a DDT||23:35|
|4||Chris Masters||5||Carlito||Pinned by a roll-up||28:15|
|5||Carlito||3||John Cena||Pinned by a roll-up||28:22|
- "Official New Year's Revolution 2006 website". WWE. Retrieved November 18, 2007.
- Sokol, Chris (January 8, 2006). "Edge surprise champ after Revolution". Slam! Sports. Canadian Online Explorer. Retrieved November 18, 2007.
- "WWE Champion def. Kurt Angle, Shawn Michaels, Kane, Chris Masters and Carlito to retain (Elimination Chamber Match)". WWE. January 8, 2006. Retrieved November 18, 2007.
- "Edge def. John Cena to become new WWE Champion". WWE. January 8, 2006. Retrieved November 18, 2007.
- "Triple H def. Big Show". WWE. January 8, 2006. Retrieved November 18, 2007.
- "Intercontinental Champion Ric Flair def. Edge by DQ to retain". WWE. January 8, 2006. Retrieved November 18, 2007.
- "McMahon to Bischoff: "You're fired!"". WWE. December 5, 2005. Retrieved November 18, 2007.
- "Raw results – December 5, 2005". Online World of Wrestling. December 5, 2005. Retrieved November 18, 2007.
- "Elimination Chamber set". WWE. December 12, 2005. Retrieved November 18, 2007.
- "Raw results – December 12, 2005". Online World of Wrestling. December 12, 2005. Retrieved November 18, 2007.
- "Time to take out the trash". WWE. November 28, 2005. Retrieved November 18, 2007.
- "Raw results – November 28, 2005". WWE. November 28, 2005. Retrieved November 18, 2007.
- "New Years Revolution 2006 results". Online World of Wrestling. January 8, 2006. Retrieved November 18, 2007.
- "Women's Champion Trish Stratus def. Mickie James to retain". WWE. January 8, 2006. Retrieved November 18, 2007.
- "Shelton Benjamin def. Viscera". WWE. January 8, 2006. Retrieved November 18, 2007.
- "Ashley def. Victoria, Candice, Torrie Wilson and Maria (Bra & Panties Gauntlet match)". WWE. January 8, 2006. Retrieved November 18, 2007.
- "Edge's first WWE Championship reign". WWE. Retrieved November 18, 2007.
- "Kurt Angle's first World Heavyweight Championship reign". WWE. Retrieved November 18, 2007.
- "New World Heavyweight Champion". WWE. January 13, 2006. Retrieved November 18, 2007.
- "Sex Gone Bad". WWE. January 9, 2006. Retrieved November 18, 2007.
- "John Cena def. Edge (new WWE Champion)". WWE. January 29, 2006. Retrieved November 18, 2007.
- "John Cena's second WWE Championship reign". WWE. Retrieved November 18, 2007.
- "New Year's Revolution". Pro Wrestling History. Retrieved February 15, 2009.