Newfoundland general election, 1861
The 9th Newfoundland general election was held in 1861 to elect members of the 8th General Assembly of Newfoundland in the Dominion of Newfoundland. 14 Conservatives and 12 Liberals were elected. The results in Harbour Grace and Harbour Main electoral districts were set aside following violence at the polls; members were elected in subsequent by-elections. The Liberal Party led by John Kent was defeated by the Conservatives led by Hugh Hoyles; Ambrose Shea replaced Kent as party leader.
Results by party
|Party||Leader||1859||Seats won||% change||Popular vote||(%)|
- Bonavista Bay
- Trinity Bay
- Bay de Verde
- John Bemister Conservative
- Edmund Hanrahan Liberal
- Harbour Grace (elected later)
- Brigus-Port de Grave
- St. John's East
- St. John's West
- Harbour Main (election results determined later)
- Placentia and St. Mary's
- Fortune Bay
- Robert Carter Conservative
- D. W. Prowse Conservative
- "Journal of the House of Assembly of Newfoundland : anno vigessimo (sic) quarto Victoriæ Reginæ ... first session of the eighth General Assembly". 1861. pp. 1–10. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "The Election Riots of 1861". Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage. Memorial University. Retrieved 2009-10-20.
- "Journal of the House of Assembly of Newfoundland : anno vigession quinto Victoriæ Reginæ ... second session of the eighth General Assembly". 1862. p. 8. Retrieved 2009-10-20.
- "Journal of the House of Assembly of Newfoundland : anno vigessimo (sic) quarto Victoriæ Reginæ ... first session of the eighth General Assembly". 1861. p. 90. Retrieved 2009-10-20.