Standard artwork (U.S. vinyl single pictured)
|Single by Commodores|
|from the album Nightshift|
|B-side||"I Keep Running"|
|Released||January 31, 1985|
|Format||7" , 12"|
|Length||5:04 (album version)
4:19 (7" single edit)
|Commodores singles chronology|
"Nightshift" is a hit 1985 song by the Commodores and the title track from their eleventh album of the same name. The song was written by lead singer Walter Orange in collaboration with Dennis Lambert and Franne Golde, as a tribute to soul/R&B singers Jackie Wilson and Marvin Gaye, both of whom died in 1984. The single was released on January 31, 1985 in the United States.
The song was originally recorded in 1984, and became the first hit attained by the Commodores after Lionel Richie's departure from the group. It was also their biggest hit after Richie's departure, peaking at number three on both the Billboard Hot 100 and UK Singles Chart, and rising to number one on the Hot Black Singles chart; the single also became a success on the Adult Contemporary and the Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales charts in the first half of that year.
Although the band was against the label's decision to release it as a single, it won a Grammy Award in 1985 for Best Vocal R&B Performance by a Duo/Group. The song features a lead vocal from drummer Walter Orange, who had sung lead years earlier on "Brick House". Lionel Richie's replacement, J.D. Nicholas, sings the second verse and then Orange and Nicholas share lead vocals on the remaining choruses.
|UK Top 75||3|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||3|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Black Singles||1|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales||6|
|U.S. Billboard Adult Contemporary||2|
|Australia (Kent Music Report) ||8|
|RIANZ New Zealand Top 40||2|
|Dutch Top 40 ||1|
In popular culture
- ""Nightshift" The Commodores - 1984". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- "COMMODORES - full Official Chart History - Official Charts Company". Officialcharts.com. Retrieved 5 January 2018.
- "Commodores Artist Biography by Craig Lytle - Awards". Allmusic.com. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 130.
- John Leland (June 1985). Singles - Commodores "Nightshift" (Motown). Spin. p. 36. Retrieved 2010-08-22.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "De Nederlandse Top 40, week 13, 1985". Archived from the original on May 18, 2011. Retrieved 2008-03-01.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-11. Retrieved 2009-04-01.
- "Shazam". Shazam.com. Archived from the original on 7 January 2014. Retrieved 5 January 2018.
- "Howard Audio works the night shift for MTN". M.bizcommunity.com. Retrieved 5 January 2018.
"Missing You" by Diana Ross
|Billboard Hot Black Singles number one single
March 16, 1985 - April 6, 1985
"Back in Stride" by Maze featuring Frankie Beverly