|Also known as||Nikki Leonti Edgar|
|Born||August 20, 1981|
|Origin||California, United States|
|Genres||Contemporary Christian, urban, R&B|
|Associated acts||Nikki & Rich (with Rich Velonskis), Edgar|
Nikki Leonti-Edgar (born August 20, 1981) is an American singer-songwriter and actress. Prior to her work in urban, R&B, and electronic dance music, Leonti recorded contemporary Christian music albums. She lent her vocals to over 100 songs during 4 seasons of the musical comedy-drama television series Glee.
Nicole Marie Leonti was born on August 20, 1981 in Corona, California. Her father Greg Leonti was a pastor at the Calvary Southern Baptist church. She began singing at age five, as a church soloist in the Corona, California, Nondenominational Christianity church. At 13, she made her first recording on a small local label.
In 1998, Leonti recorded her debut full-length album, Shelter Me, which reached No. 179 on the Billboard 200, and No. 7 on the Contemporary Christian chart. Her second album, Nikki Leonti was released in 2001. Both were produced by brothers Dino and John Elefante, and issued on the independent Christian label, Pamplin. Shortly after her 18th birthday, Leonti got pregnant out of wedlock and was shunned by the CCM community with many Christian music stations pulling off broadcasting of her records. She retired from the Christian music industry not long after.
In 2006, Leonti was hired as a backup singer for Carrie Underwood, performing on tour and on various television shows. After three years with Carrie Underwood, Leonti began working with Rich Velonskis, forming the R&B group, Nikki & Rich, retro neo-soul duo. Velonskis, also known as Rich Skillz, producer of various artists, including Ludacris, Lil' Kim, and Robin Thicke. Nikki & Rich released their debut album, entitled Greatest Hits, on September 27, 2011, issued on the Reprise Records/Born Rich label. The duo has performed live on Ellen and The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Together, they were named as one of the New York Post's "10 New Artists to Watch in 2010" and "10 Artists to Know in 2011". Nikki & Rich confirmed their split in January 2015.
Nikki lent her vocals to over 100 songs during 4 seasons of the Fox hit show, Glee. She has written songs for artists, including Robin Thicke, Jessie J, Candice Glover, Rebecca Ferguson and Ivy Quainoo.
In early 2015, Nikki announced that she had founded a band called Edgar with her husband Ryan Edgar, whom she married in November 2014. On June 7, 2016, she appeared alongside her husband and daughter Jaslyn as a trio on America's Got Talent, auditioning on episode 2 of season 11. They performed "I'll Stand by You" by The Pretenders. The group progressed through the preliminary rounds and took one of 36 live performance show spots.
Leonti was married in 1999 to Ryan Gingerich, lead guitarist of the Christian band, Scarecrow & Tinmen. They divorced in 2002, having become the parents of one daughter, Jaslyn (b. 2000). They later discovered the marriage was never legally documented. In 2004, she married Aaron Dame and gave birth to their son, Jordan (b. 2004).
She married singer-songwriter Ryan Edgar on November 6, 2014. Ryan Edgar and Leonti have a daughter, Frankie (b. 2015). In 2015, Ryan Gingerich signed over parental right of Jaslyn. Ryan Edgar adopted Jaslyn.
- 1996: Reach the World (Two Records)
- 1998: Shelter Me (Pamplin)
- 2000: Postcard From Mixaco: A Dance Re-MIX Fiesta (Pamplin)
- 2001: Nikki Leonti (Pamplin)
- 2017: Heartache Easy (FamJam)
- 2011: Greatest Hits... (Born Rich Inc)
Appearances on other recordings
- 2000: Apocalypse III: Tribulation Soundtrack, vocals on "Everlasting Place"
- 2002: Left Behind 2: Urban Hip-Hop; "Everytime"
- 2004: Rachael Lampa Rachael Lampa (background vocals)
- 2005: Awaken Natalie Grant (background vocals)
- 2006: Time Again: Amy Grant Live All Access (background vocals)
- 2008: Get on Board Eric Bibb (background vocals, handclapping)
- 2009: Sex Therapy: The Session Robin Thicke; co-writer on "Make you love me"
- 2010: Killers Soundtrack (writer: "Cat and Mouse")
- 2012: Glee (season 3) Vocals
- 2012: Cee Lo's Magic Moment, vocals on "All you need is Love"
- 2012: Girl vs. Monster Writer: "Nothing's gonna stop me now"
- 2013: Tyler, the Creator Vocalist and Vocal Arranger "Camp Fire"
- 2013: Glee, season 4; vocals
- 2013: Teen Beach Movie Writer: "Crusin' for a bruisin" & "Coolest cats in town"
- 2013: Heart Attack (Demi Lovato song) background vocals
- 2014: The Little Rascals Save the Day (video), vocals on "My Friend", "Time For Run"
- 2014: Ivy Quainoo Writer: Burial
- 2014: Glee (season 5) Vocals
- 2014: Candice Glover Music Speaks Writer: "Same kinda man"
- 2015: Teen Beach 2 Writer: "That's how we do"
- 2015: Mac Miller Vocalist and Vocal Arranger "100 Grankids" & "Perfect Circle/Godspeed"
- 2015: Light On (song) Writer as performed by Rebecca Ferguson
- 2015: Rod Stewart (album) Background vocals
- 2015: Josh Groban Vocals: "Never walk alone"
- 2015: We Love Disney (2015 album)Backing vocalist for Ariana Grande
- 2015: Liv and Maddie: Music from the TV Series writer: "what a girl is"
- 2016: The Passion Live Soundtrack; vocals on eight tracks
- 2016: Ice Age: Collision Course Writer: "My Superstar" performed by Jessie J (listed as Nicole Leonti and written with Alexander Geringas)
- 2016: Kirk FranklinPharrell Williams Backing Vocals; "123 Victory"
- 2016: Hidden Figures (soundtrack) "I see a victory" backing vocals (listed as Nicole Leonti)
- 2017: Dirty Dancing (2017 film) Contributing vocalist
- 2017: Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie Contributing vocalist
- 2017: Nut Job 2 Songwriter: "Everybody Get Nuts"
- 2017: Descendants 2 Songwriter: "You and Me"
- 2018: Zombies (2018 film) Songwriter: "Fired up"
- 2018: Jessie J "This Christmas" Album: Backing Vocalist
- 2018:Tori Kelly "Never Alone" Album: Backing Vocalist
- 2018: The Grinch (movie) Vocalist and Arranger for Tyler, the Creator&Danny Elfman Collaboration: "You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch"
- 2018: Mac Miller Vocalist and Vocal arranger for : "Buttons"
|2013||Californication||Band Musician||Episode: "I'll Lay My Monsters Down"|
|2014||Eternity: The Movie||Gina Marie||Film|
|2016||America's Got Talent||Herself||Contestant; season 11|
- August 24, Ashmeet Bagga-Published:; March 20, 2016 at 8:47 am | Last Updated:; Am, 2018 at 6:34 (2016-08-24). "America's Got Talent Edgar Family Band: 3 Facts You Need to Know". Earn The Necklace. Retrieved 2019-04-19.
- "Nikki Leonti". IMDb. Retrieved 2019-04-19.
- "Nikki Leonti Biography". TodaysChristianMusic.com. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- "Nikki Leonti Music News & Info". Billboard.com. 1998-10-03. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- "Exclusive Clip: Nikki & Rich Frontwoman Resurfaces on 'America's Got Talent'". www.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2019-04-19.
- "Exclusive Clip: Nikki & Rich Frontwoman Resurfaces on 'America's Got Talent'".
- Despres, Tricia (2016-08-25). "Wait till you hear Carrie Underwood's connection to this "America's Got Talent" finalist". Country Music News, Artists, Songs, and Videos | Rare Country. Retrieved 2019-04-19.
- "Soul Mates". LA Times Magazine. 2011-04-28. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- "Nikki Leonti on Singing with Katy Perry, Christian Music & REUNITE CCM". www.hallels.com. Retrieved 2019-04-19.
- "10 new artists to watch in 2010". Nypost.com. Archived from the original on December 2, 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- "10 Artists to Know in 2011: New Music Musts". Nypost.com. Archived from the original on December 4, 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- "The Recovering Preachers Kid". therecoveringpreacherskid.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2019-04-19.
- "The Edgar Family Band takes over 'America's Got Talent'". BLEEP Magazine. 2016-08-23. Retrieved 2019-04-19.
- "'America's Got Talent' contestants perform for patients | LLUH News". news.llu.edu. Retrieved 2019-04-19.
- "America's Got Talent". America's Got Talent. 2016-07-12. Event occurs at 20:58. NBC. WGBA.
- Talent Recap (2016-07-20), The Edgar Family Trio MIND BLOWING Performance Judge Cuts 1 | America's Got Talent 2016 | Ep. 8, retrieved 2019-04-19