Nikolay Victorovich Baskov
15 October 1976
|Alma mater||Moscow Conservatory, Gnessin State Musical College|
|Title||People's Artist of Russia (2009) People's Artist of Ukraine (2004)|
Sample of "Korabl sudby" by Nikolay Baskov
Problems playing this file? See media help.
Nikolay Victorovich Baskov (Russian: Николай Викторович Басков) was born on October 15, 1976, in Balashikha Moscow, Russian SFSR. He is a Russian tenor who performs in both operatic and popular music styles. His honors include commendations as Meritorious Artist and People's Artist of the Russian Federation, as well as People's Artist of Ukraine. 
In addition to his career as a vocalist, Baskov is a regular figure on the Russian game show What? Where? When?.
Baskov studied at the Gnessin Russian Academy of Music and Moscow Conservatory. In 1998, he placed first in the All-Russian Young Singers Competition and placed second in the 1999 Grande Voce competition in Spain. The same year, Nikolay Baskov was invited to the Bolshoi theatre troupe, where he performed the major arias in such operas as Yevgeni Onegin, Prince Igor, Boris Godunov, Traviata, and others.
In 2000, he recorded his first debut solo album, The Dedication. The music video filmed for "In Memory of Caruso" (a cover of "Caruso" written by Lucio Dalla) was aired on Russian TV and increased his popularity. In 2001, Baskov abandoned the Bolshoi to work on his solo career. Though Baskov's repertoire consists mostly of modern arrangements of arias and romances, he performs pop music as well. Nikolay has often performed with pop artists, as well as with classical singers such as Montserrat Caballé. From July 2009 to March 2011, he dated Oxana Fedorova, the former Miss Universe.
Released in 2011, the Nikolai Baskov: Romantic Journey concert performance CD/DVD took place at Moscow’s Hall of the Luzhniki Stadium. Baskov was accompanied by a full orchestra and played to an enthusiastic crowd of nearly 10,000 people. Taped with 24 HD cameras, this is Russia’s most elaborate and expensive performance ever recorded for international television. He performed classic pieces from Tosca, La bohème, Werther, Turandot and other popular songs from his catalogue such as Be My Love, Granada and Back to Sorrento. Baskov is joined by world-renowned soprano, Montserrat Caballé, and her daughter Marti, for several duets.
In early 2012, Baskov embarked on his first American tour.
- Dedication (Посвящение, 2000)
- Dedication Encore (Посвящение на бис, 2000)
- Masterpieces of the Passing Century (Шедевры уходящего века, 2001)
- I'm 25 (Мне 25, 2001)
- Never say Goodbye (Никогда не говори прощай, 2004)
- Let me go (Отпусти меня, 2005)
- Best Songs (Лучшие песни, 2005)
- Only for you (Тебе одной, 2007)
- Romantic Journey, 2011
- Game (Игра, 2016)
|Year||Final||Title in English|
|2002||Шарманка, Силы небесные||"Barrel organ, Hosts of Heaven"|
|2003||Любовь не знает слова "нет"||"Love Does Not Know the Word 'No'"|
|2004||Ах, эта ночь, Цветет малина, Я буду руки твои целовать||"Oh, This Night, Flowering Raspberry, I Will Kiss Your Hands"|
|2005||Сердце, Отпусти меня||"A Heart, Let Me Go"|
|2006||Я знаю, ты далеко||"I Know You're Far Away"|
|2007||Тебе одной||"You're The One"|
|2008||Внезапная любовь||"Sudden Love"|
|2009||Цветы, Права любовь||"Flowers, Love Rights"|
|2010||Все цветы||"All Flowers"|
|2011||Сохранив любовь||"Keeping Love"|
|2012||Странник, Я найду свою любовь||"Wanderer, I'll Find My Love"|
|2013||Ну кто сказал, Николай||"Well, Who Said, Nikolay"|
|2014||Вишневая любовь||"Cherry Love"|
|2015||Ты мое счастье, Любовь – не слова||"You Are My Happiness, Love - Not Words"|
Honours and awards
- Medal of the Order "For Merit to the Fatherland," 2nd class (9 December 2006) - for achievements in the field of culture and art, and many years of fruitful work
- Order of Francisc Skorina (Belarus, 2006) - for his great personal contribution to the development of the Belarusian-Russian cultural relations, the strengthening of friendship and cooperation between the peoples of Belarus and Russia
- People's Artist of the Russian Federation (12 May 2009) - for his contribution to the art of music
- Honoured Artist of the Russian Federation (6 September 2001) - for services to the arts
- People's Artist of Ukraine (November 2004)
- Gold medal for "peacekeeping and charity."
- People's Artist of the Republic of Moldova (2 May 2007)
- Golden Gramophone Award (2005–08, 2010–11)
- Title of "The Golden Voice of Russia"
- People's Artist of Chechnya
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 26 August 2016. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- Почётное звание присвоено указом президента России № 1106 от 6 сентября 2001 года Archived 29 October 2013 at the Wayback Machine.
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 12 мая 2009 года № 521 «О присвоении почётного звания „Народный артист РФ“ Баскову Н. В.» Archived 25 June 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- Данные официального веб-сайта артиста Archived 24 April 2001 at the Wayback Machine.
- Houk, Steve (13 December 2011). "Music Notes:Baskov's American Tune". Archived from the original on 27 July 2017. Retrieved 3 December 2017.
- Fiallos, Maya. "Nikolai Baskov: ROMANTIC JOURNEY". International Media. Archived from the original on 25 April 2012. Retrieved 5 July 2012.
- Russian Pop Stars Chime in on 'Sodomite Propaganda', RIA Novosti, 20 December 2012, archived from the original on 30 September 2013