Screenshot of the series' title from the anime
|Genre||Comedy, Action, Adventure|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Tsutomu Shibayama|
|Music by||Kouji Makaino|
|Studio||Ajia-do Animation Works|
|Original run||10 April 1993 – ongoing|
|Episodes||1,878 (June 2015)|
|Eiga Nintama Rantarō|
|Directed by||Tsuneo Kobayashi|
|Music by||Kouji Makaino|
|Studio||Ajia-do Animation Works|
|Released||June 29, 1996|
|Gekijō-ban Anime Nintama Rantarō Ninjutsu Gakuen Zenin Shutsudō! no Dan|
|Directed by||Masaya Fujimori|
|Music by||Kouji Makaino|
|Studio||Ajia-do Animation Works|
|Released||March 12, 2011|
Nintama Rantarō (忍たま乱太郎?, lit. Rantarō the Ninja Boy) is a Japanese anime series produced by Ajia-do Animation Works and broadcast on NHK since 10 April 1993. It is an adaptation of the manga series Rakudai Ninja Rantarō, written and illustrated by Sōbe Amako. Nintama Rantarō centers on the titular character and his friends as they attend a school for budding ninja. Like the manga on which it is based, there are a considerable amount of anachronisms for comedic purposes; for example, the titular character is bespectacled and katakana is used several times. The anime also references other Japanese media personalities such as Ken Shimura.
- 1 Cast
- 2 Music
- 3 Episodes
- 4 Video games
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
- Inadera Rantarou (猪名寺 乱太郎?)
- Voiced by: Minami Takayama
- The main character, a bespectacled first grade boy who is aiming to become an excellent ninja. Unfortunately, he often gets distracted and prefers to goof off with his friends Kirimaru and Shinbei.
- Settsuno Kirimaru (摂津の きり丸?)
- Voiced by: Mayumi Tanaka
- One of Rantaro's best friends. He is an orphan who lost his family and home during a war, and now makes a living doing various part-time jobs. When school isn't in session, he lives with Doi. His primary interest is being obsessed with earning money.
- Fukutomi Shinbei (福富 しんべヱ?)
- Voiced by: Teiyū Ichiryūsai
- A rich merchant's son, who quickly became friends with Rantaro at the beginning of the series. He is overweight, a bit slower when it comes to thinking, and often has to be corrected by his friends. Nonetheless, he possesses great power and strength.
- Kuroki Shouzaemon (黒木 庄左ヱ門?)
- Voiced by: Mami (seasons 1-11), Saori Higashi (season 12 - current)
- First year Hagumi's class president.
- Ninokuruwa Isuke (二郭 伊助?)
- Voiced by: Chie Satō, Suzuki Tomiko (season 2 episode 46 only)
- The son of textile dyers, and something of a neat freak. He is often depicted with a broom or mop. Shares a room with Shouzaemon.
- Katou Danzou (加藤 団蔵?)
- Voiced by: Hiroko Emori, Kaoru Shimamura (season 4 episode 6 only)
- His father runs a horse and carriage delivery service. Danzou is very talented with horses because of this. His writing is terribly messy, to the point of illegibility. Shares a room with Torawaka.
- Satake Torawaka (佐武 虎若?)
- Voiced by: Yūko Kobayashi, Urara Takano (season 2 only), Fuuko Shinomiya (season 3 episode 82 only)
- His father is in charge of the Satake Rifle Squad. Because of this he has lots of experience with flintlock rifles, which were rare at the time. He idolizes Shousei, a rifle expert who works for his father. Shares a room with Danzou.
- Yumesaki Sanjirou (夢前 三治郎?)
- Voiced by: Hiroko Emori, Atsuko Mine (season 2 only)
- A deceptively happy and friendly looking child who enjoys setting traps. Shares a room with Heidayuu.
- Sasayama Heidayuu (笹山 兵太夫?)
- Voiced by: Akiko Muta, Hiroko Emori (season 1 only)
- Heidayū likes traps and has his entire room rigged with them. He shares his room with Sanjiro, who also enjoys traps.
- Minamoto Kingo (皆本 金吾?)
- Voiced by: Kumiko Watanabe
- Joined first year hagumi late. His main weapon is the katana. Shares a room with Kisanta.
- Yamamura Kisanta (山村 喜三太?)
- Voiced by: Tomiko Suzuki (seasons 1-11), Saori Sugimoto (season 12-current)
- A transfer student, he joined first year hagumi late. Collects slugs as a hobby. Shares a room with Kingo.
First Year I Class
- Imafuku Hikoshirou (今福 彦四郎?)
- Voiced by: Mitsuki Saiga
- Class President of first year igumi. His marks often suffer when he doesn't have time to study because of his presidential duties.
First Year Ro Class
- Tsurumachi Fushikizou (鶴町 伏木蔵?)
- Voiced by: Mayumi Oota (season 11), Touko Aoyama (season 12-16), Komatsuna Sakato (season 16 to current)
- Thrill and suspense.
- Shimosakabe Heita (下坂部 平太?)
- Voiced by: Kumiko Watanabe (season 10-16), Sayuri Yoshida (season 16 to current)
- Heita is a giant scaredy-cat. Small things often frighten him to the point of making him pee himself.
- Ikeda Saburouji (池田 三郎次?)
- Voiced by: Urara Takano (season 1 - season 6 episode 12), Fuuko Shinomiya (season 6 episode 12 - current), Shinobu Adachi (season 1 episode 46 only)
- Speaks without thinking, and often says too much. Enjoys pranking the first years, especially the main trio.
- Kawanishi Sakon (川西 左近?)
- Voiced by: Yasuhiro Takato (seasons 3, 5, 6, 12), Urarako Suzuki (seasons 9, 12, 13), Yukiko Amada (season 16 - current), Fujiko Takimoto (season 9 episode 18 only)
- Looks like Linus from Peanuts.
- Nose Kyuusaku (能勢 久作?)
- Voiced by: Atsuko Mine (season 1), Ai Satou (season 1 episode 46 - season 8), Jin Domon (season 8 - current)
- Has nice eyebrows and reddish orange hair.
- Tokitomo Shirobei (時友 四郎兵衛?)
- Voiced by: Tomo Adachi
- A boy who looks a little dumb, and unfortunately, is a little dumb.
- Igasaki Magohei (伊賀崎 孫兵?)
- Voiced by: Hiro Yuuki (season 1-3), Isshin Chiba (season 3 - current)
- Keeps snakes, scorpions, and bugs as pets. He always keeps his poisonous pet snake, Junko, with him, though she often runs away, leaving Magohei to search frantically for her.
- Kanzaki Samon (神崎 左門?)
- Voiced by: Kouki Miyata
- Has literally no sense of direction. Will dramatically declare "it's this way!" and then go in the complete opposite direction.
- Tsugiya Sannosuke (次屋 三之助?)
- Voiced by: Mari Maruta, Watanabe Kumiko (season 19 episode 15 only)
- Also has no sense of direction, but wanders absent mindedly.
- Urakaze Tounai (浦風 藤内?)
- Voiced by: Sumomo Momomori
- Likes to learn things, and practices obsessively.
- Santanda Kazuma (三反田 数馬?)
- Voiced by: Hiro Shimono
- A boy with little presence, who seems to have inherited the Heath Committee's bad luck.
- Tairano Takiyashamaru (平 滝夜叉丸?)
- Voiced by: Wataru Takagi
- The ultimate narcissist. Considers himself 'Ninjutsu Gakuen's Number One Idol'. Is very talented with his throwing ring, which he has lovingly named 'Rinko'.
- Ayabe Kihachirou (綾部 喜八郎?)
- Voiced by: Akira Ishida
- Really loves digging holes. That is all. It is hard to keep him interested in anything else. He names all the holes that he digs.
- Tamura Mikiemon (田村 三木ヱ門?)
- Voiced by: Shinobu Adachi
- The other self-proclaimed "Number One Idol of Ninjutsu Gakuen". Mikiemon likes guns, cannons, and rifles, and names his and takes them for walks. He also idolizes Shousei, but not to the extent that Torawaka does.
- Hama Shuichirou (浜 守一郎?)
- Voiced by: Yūki Kaji
- He always laughs after he heard something funny about Andou-sensei.
- Saitou Takamaru (斉藤 タカ丸?)
- Voiced by: Daisuke Namikawa
- Raised as a hairdresser, his father was an undercover ninja. Eventually joins Ninjutsu Gakuen, and is allowed into fourth year despite having no previous training, because of his skills with his 'split second hairdressing'.
- Kukuchi Heisuke (久々知 兵助?)
- Voiced by: Toshimitsu Oda
- Long eyelashes and black hair are his defining characteristics. Though his grades are superb and he’s earnest and cool, his spontaneous nature was somewhat revealed when he’d failed to realize that the costs of amazake were included in the Explosives Committee’s appropriation. Since he had to carry tofu in the Sport’s Day relay, he is known as the ‘Tofu Kid’. Truthfully he hates this nickname, and in the manga at times he denies liking tofu; however, in actuality he is abundant in tofu knowledge and he seems to like tofu cooking. In the anime he will openly declare his love for tofu and treat others to tofu he has prepared himself. He carries freeze-dried tofu around for a mid-afternoon snack. He is the stand-in committee president for the Explosives Committee and rounds up the underclassmen; even though he is Takamaru’s senpai he adds “san” to his name since he is older. In the musical his weapon of choice is the suntetsu. In the survival orienteering he was paired in a group with Isuke. His surname comes from Kukuchi in Amagasaki.
- Ohama Kanemon (尾浜 勘右衛門?)
- Voiced by: Shigeru Shibuya
- Though his first appearance was injuring the napping Rantarou, Kirimaru, and Shinbei while practicing his jinba technique, his existence was forgotten for a period of 16 years, until he reappeared in the mixed double survival orienteering in a pair with Torawaka, where his name was finally revealed. In the second occasion he appeared in he did not belong to any committee and was encouraged in vol. 47 by the Headmaster to decide which committee to join while each one ran their food stand at their culture festival. It was revealed then he was actually a class president and he ended up joining the class president committee. His specialty weapon is the manrikigusari. He’s the airhead type who tends to get wrapped up in things. In the original work he has black hair, however; in the anime his hair is a deep reddish brown. In first person he uses “ore”; to his superiors he uses “boku” or “watashi”. His surname comes from Ohama-cho in Amagasaki, and his name comes from the Kouga ninja Ukai Kanemon.
- Fuwa Raizou (不破 雷蔵?)
- Voiced by: Junichi Kanemaru
- Gentle and full of kindness; he is a senpai that lovingly takes care of his underclassmen. Though his grades are excellent, his bad habit is that he’s always meandering and hesitating with a broad indecisiveness. After thinking too much, he’ll get tired and sleep right then and there. Of the “three illness of the ninja”, he is the “type who lacks thought”. Also, if he goes near a dry river bed, the moisture will expand his hair. Hachiya Saburou from the same class is often seen borrowing his face, lending them the relation of “fifth-year rogumi’s specialty combination”. Yamada-sensei often says ”his honesty is his weakness”; however, in the 18th volume he passed the survival orienteering while retaining his playfulness. In that survival orienteering he was paired in a group with Ayakashimaru. In the original work Raizou’s hair is black; however, in the anime it is a bright brown. His namesake is from a proverb meaning 'to follow others blindly' (付和雷同 fuwaraido?).
- Hachiya Saburou (鉢屋 三郎?)
- Voiced by: Takumi Yamazaki
- A student with a thousand face, to the point that no one, including the school staff, knows his true face. Saburo is a mischievous, calm and cool student who enjoys wearing disguises of just about anyone, and sometimes alternates faces in-between scenes. Saburo most of the time disguises as Raizo considering the two are quite close friends.
- Takeya Hachizaemon (竹谷 八左ヱ門?)
- Voiced by: Ryuichi Azuma
- A student with cheerful, optimistic, energetic and also serious attitude. Hachizaemon features long unkempt dull grey-brown hair. As the head of Biological Committee, he holds responsibility in protecting wildlife from being harmed or hunted, which gains respect from his fellow junior committee members (which is dominated with first years). Attempts of hunting wildlife with his presence will only enrage him.
- Shioe Monjirou (潮江 文次郎?)
- Voiced by: Ken Narita
- Is often portrayed as a leader among the 6th year seniors. Monjiro is a strict, serious senior that focuses on training mentally as much as physically, and his committee members often gets forced into his bizarre trainings such as using 10 kg abacus, sleeping in cold lake at midnight, making weapons out of food, etc. Despite his serious commitments into trainings, he is easily approached outside of training and has good relationship as a caring senior towards his juniors. He has a favourite word - gin gin - that who only used when he gets excited, angry, or emotional. On occasional episodes, he together with Choji and Koheta tagged along with Kirimaru in his part-time job.
- Tachibana Senzou (立花 仙蔵?)
- Voiced by: Soichiro Hoshi
- A pale-skinned and often regarded as a handsome senior with long straight and silky hair. He leads the Saho committee along with Heidayu as his favorite junior. He has natural talents for explosive, bombs, grenades, often carrying dozens of them with him for convenient purpose. Being as normally a calm, rationally thinking senior, he is often described as an excellent student among the seniors. When carrying out solo missions, he often gets tagged along with Kisanta and Shinbei, who both look up to him, but instead of giving a good help, burdens him instead and gets him caught, bomb explodes in his face, trees fall down on him, etc. He has shorter temper for Kisanta and Shinbei harassing him in his missions.
- Nakazaike Chouji (中在家 長次?)
- Voiced by: Shigeru Shibuya
- A student who spoke with few words and with few facial expressions. Choji who speak slowly, that made his words hard to be conveyed at times, is also the head of librarian. Usually, someone who stands besides him (such as Raizo or Kirimaru who are also librarians) had to be the 'translator' especially to those who don't meet Choji quite often. His expressions can get eerie with one big creepy smile, though his true emotions often contrast his face (such as he will smile creepily when he is hurt, and vice versa). Ironically, Shinbei's little sister Kameko found his smile to be attractive, and even had a crush on him at times.
- Nanamatsu Koheita (七松 小平太?)
- Voiced by: Nobutoshi Canna
- Koheita, a 6th year student with lots of energy and happy-go-lucky, cheerful, exciting and reckless personality. He made a hobby of digging trenches on soil, sometimes using only a pair of kunai, and sometimes with his bare hands. Apart from that, he also have the tendency to spike just about anything that flies towards him to the ground, like a volleyball spike (which occasionally causes problems to others, and even broke his arm). He is easily approachable by others and treats his juniors that come forward for his help with respect, though sometimes, with reckless running. His favorite word: "Ike Ike Don Don"
- Kema Tomesaburou (食満 留三郎?)
- Voiced by: Chihiro Suzuki
- A student Hagumi that has strong fighting spirit, aggressive and hot tempered, but still cares for his juniors with good tolerant. Tomesaburo and Monjiro are however, tends to argue which then leads them to brawl and fight each other over 'who is better' or 'who is right' matters. His appearance resembles another character in the series, Yoshiro Suzukoya, which was pointed out by Kihachiro. Tomesaburo and Isaku are classmates, and also roommates, and appears to be close.
- Zenpouji Isaku (善法寺 伊作?)
- Voiced by: Ryotaro Okiayu
- A nice, friendly and caring student of 6th year Hagumi that has a personality akin to a gentle big brother to his juniors, though is cursed with bad luck to himself, and anyone that gets tagged along with him. Also dubbed by others and his own members - 'bad luck chairman' - and his own committee as 'bad luck committee'. As a Health Committee chairman, he takes on his job giving aid to injured or sick person responsibly and unbiased, that he also treated a Tasogaredoki ninja Zatto Konnamon, who was supposing to be an intruder. He and his committee members often gets greeted by Konnamon uninformed, sometimes with presence of other Tasogaredoki ninjas.
- Yuki (ユキ?)
- Voiced by: Sakura Tange (season 2~8), Mariko Kōda (season 1, 9 - current)
- She's the leader of the kunoichi trio.
- Oshige (シゲ?)
- Voiced by: Akiko Muta
- Shige is the grand daughter of the principal and part of the kunoichi trio. She's in love with Shinbe. She is an anime-only character.
- Doi Hansuke (土井半助?)
- Voiced by: Toshihiko Seki
- Rantaro's main classroom teacher. He often loses patience with Rantaro and his classmates due to their inability to pay attention. His personality resembles Iruka Umino, another ninja teacher who is voiced by the same voice actor.
- Yamada Denzou (山田伝蔵?)
- Voiced by: Chikao Ōtsuka (1993~2015), Akio Ōtsuka (2015~present)
- Another teacher of Rantaro. He serves to teach the actual techniques and trains the lazy first graders. Denzo tends to lose his patience faster than Doi. He also shows unnatural fondness in disguising himself as a woman, usually with disastrous results. When he's dressed as a woman, his personality transforms completely too, and he refuses to answer to anything besides 'Denko'. He is Yamada Rikichi's father.
- Hemu-Hemu (ヘムヘム?)
- Voiced by: Ginzō Matsuo → Bin Shimada
- A dog skilled in ninjutsu, he is the longtime companion of the head master. Also in charge of ringing the school bell
- Yamamoto Shina (山本シナ?)
- Voiced by: Yūko Kobayashi, Masako Katsuki (movie)
- The teacher of the female nintamas, she alternates between the form of a young woman and an old lady. No one is sure which is her true form.
- Tobe Shinzaemon (戸部新左エ門?)
- Voiced by: Hirohiko Kakegawa
- Shinzaemon Tobe is another teacher at the school, who occasionally appears from time to time. He's a sword instructor who is skilled, but if he doesn't have his daily meals, he loses the strength to even pick up the sword.
- Andou Natsunojou (安藤夏之丞?)
- Voiced by: Kan Tokumaru (Season 1~Season 18 Ep. 69), Mitsuru Ogata (from Season 18 Ep. 83)
- Andou is the first grade teacher for another class. He often calls Rantaro's class lazy and unproductive, comparing them to his class which seem to do nothing but study all day, thus getting good marks on their tests.
- Zatto Konnamon (雑渡 昆奈門?)
- Voiced by: Masashi Hirose(season 14, 16, drama CD) Shoutarou Morikubo (season 18 - current)
- Moroizumi Sonnamon (諸泉 尊奈門?)
- Voiced by: Bin Shimada (season 16), Tsubasa Yonaga (season 18 - current, drama CD)
- Yamamoto Jinnai (山本 陣内?)
- Voiced by: Bin Shimada (season 18), Motoki Takagi (season 19 episodes 34 & 36), Takuo Kawamura (season 19 - current)
- Kousaka Jinnaizaemon (高坂 陣内左衛門?)
- Voiced by: Takumi Yamazaki (season 18), Hiroshi Shirokuma (season 19 episodes 31-33 & 36), Hiroaki Miura (season 19 - current)
- Rantarō's Mother
- Voiced by: Ako Mayama
- Yamada Rikichi (山田 利吉?)
- Voiced by: Hiro Yūki (Season 1, 2), Kōsuke Okano (from Season 3)
- Yamada-sensei's 18-year-old son, a free agent ninja. Unlike his father, he is rather handsome. His nickname is Ricky.
- Opening Themes
- "Yūki 100%" by Hikaru Genji (eps. 1-55)
- "Yūki 100%" by Hikaru Genji Super 5 (eps. 56-807)
- "Yūki 100% (2002)" by Ya-Ya-Yah (eps. 809-1,253)
- "Yūki 100% (2009)" by Hey! Say! JUMP (eps. 1,254-)
- "Yūki 100% (2010)" by NYC
- "Yūki 100% (2012)" by Sexy Zone
- Ending Themes
- "Dancing Junk (ダンシング ジャンク)" by Super Monkey's (eps. 1-47)
- "Don't Mind Namida (DON'T MIND 涙 Don't Mind the Tears)" by Hikaru Genji Super 5 (eps. 48-60)
- "Shaking Night" by Hikaru Genji Super 5 (eps. 61-168)
- "四方八方肘鉄砲(The First)" (eps. 169-199)
- "0-Ten Champion (0点チャンピオン 0 Grade Champion)" by Junich&JJr (eps. 200-265)
- "Owara Nai School Days (終わらない SCHOOL DAYS The School Days Never End)" by Junich&JJr (eps. 266-289)
- "Kō Shichai Rare Nai (こうしちゃいられない)" by Junich&JJr (eps. 290-369)
- "Nin-Nin Nintama Ondo (にんにん忍たま音頭)" by SAY S (eps. 370-409)
- "Itsu Datte (いつだってYELL Always Yell)" by Emiri Nakayama (eps. 410-499, 501-504, 506-509, 512-517, 519-522, 524-527, 529-530)
- "Hemu-Hemu Waltz (ヘムヘムのワルツ)" by Hemu-Hemu (episode 500, 505)
- "Tamae Kaki Uta Shinbe We no dan (たまえかきうた しんべヱの段)" by Yuko Bracken (episodes 510, 518, 523, and 528)
- "Memory and Melody" by SPLASH (eps. 531-568)
- ""Ai ga Ichiban (愛がいちばん Love's Best)" by Sayuri Ishikawa (eps. 569-648)
- "四方八方肘鉄砲(Second Generation)" by Mayumi Hunaki (eps. 649-808)
- ""Sekai ga Hitotsu ni Naru Made (世界がひとつになるまで Until the World is One)" by Ya-Ya-Yah (eps. 809-967)
- "Kaze (風 The Wind)" by Aya Ueto (eps. 968-1,047)
- "Oh!ENKA (桜援歌 (OH!ENKA)" by Kanjani8 (eps. 1,048-1,153)
- "Ai ni Mukatte (愛に向かって)" by Kanjani8 (eps. 1,154-1,253)
- "Yume Iro (夢色 Dream Color)" by Hey! Say! JUMP (eps. 1,254-)
- "Yume no Tane (ゆめのタネ)" by NYC
- "Kaze o Kitte (風をきって)" by Sexy Zone
- "Matta Nante na Shi! (待ったなんてなしっ!) by Sexy Zone
As of August 2013, a total of 21 series have been broadcast with each season containing a different number of episodes (ranging from 47 in series one to 120 in series two, three and four). Every episode title ends with the phrase no dan (の段 The step of). In 2012, special episodes were broadcast to mark the show's 20th anniversary as well as the 15th anniversary of Ojarumaru, the show broadcast in the slot before Nintama Rantarō. Currently, a total of 1,813 episodes have been broadcast as of March 2015 (excluding specials).
Various video games were released, starting in 1995. Most of them were published by Culture Brain.
- 忍たま乱太郎 これまでのおはなし [Nintama Rantarō, the story up to now] (in Japanese). NHK. Retrieved June 26, 2015. There are 23 "series" which are part of the overall series. This page lists all the episode titles.
- Elley, Derek (August 8, 2011). "Ninja Kids!!!". Film Business Asia. Retrieved August 9, 2011.
- Bettinger, Brendan (August 30, 2011). "Hollywood Wants to Remake Takashi Miike’s NINJA KIDS!!!". Collider.com. Archived from the original on August 31, 2011. Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- "おじゃる丸15th 忍たま乱太郎20th 記念企画" [Ojarumaru 15th, Nintama Rantarō 20th Commemorative Project] (in Japanese). Retrieved 2013-08-11.