Center for the National Interest
(FYE December 2012)
|Subsidiaries||The National Interest|
|Formerly called||Nixon Center for Peace and Freedom|
|Address||1025 Connecticut Ave NW, S-1200
Washington, DC 20036
The Nixon Center is a Washington, D.C.-based public policy think tank. In March 2011, it was renamed the Center for the National Interest (CFTNI). In 2011 the Center acquired The National Interest, a bimonthly journal, in which it tends to promote the realist perspective on foreign policy. The Center's President is Dimitri K. Simes.
The Center was established by former U.S. President Richard Nixon on January 20, 1994 as the Nixon Center for Peace and Freedom. The group changed its name to The Nixon Center in 1998. The center has a staff of approximately twenty people supporting six main programs: Energy Security and Climate Change, Strategic Studies, US-Russia Relations, U.S.-Japan Relations, China and the Pacific, and Regional Security (Middle East, Caspian Basin and South Asia). In 2006 it had an annual budget of $1.6 million. The Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program of the Foreign Policy Research Institute ranked it as one of the top 30 think tanks in the United States in 2007, and it has consistently earned similar praise since then. According to the 2014 Global Go To Think Tank Index Report (Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program, University of Pennsylvania), the Center is number 43 (of 60) in the "Top Think Tanks in the United States".
- "Quickview data". GuideStar. Also see "Charity Rating". Charity Navigator.
- "Center for the National Interest".
- The Nixon Center: Mission statement
- Abelson 2006, p. 89; The Nixon Center 2008, Nixon Center programs. Accessed 9-29-2008.
- Abelson 2006, p. 238 (Appendix One, Table AI.2).
- McGann 2007, p. 18.
- James G. McGann (Director) (February 4, 2015). "2014 Global Go To Think Tank Index Report". Retrieved February 14, 2015.
- Abelson, Donald E. (2006). A Capitol Idea: Think Tanks and US Foreign Policy. Montreal & Kingston : McGill-Queen's University Press. ISBN 0-7735-3115-7