Nizhnesvirsky Nature Reserve
|Nizhnesvirsky Nature Reserve|
|Nearest city||Lodeynoye Pole|
|Established||June 11, 1980|
The Nizhnesvirsky Nature Reserve (Russian: Нижнесвирский заповедник, lit. Lower Svir Zapovednik) is a 416 km² (131 sq mi) zapovednik in Lodeynopolsky District of Leningrad Oblast, Russia, established on June 11, 1980 to protect landscapes of the eastern shore of Lake Ladoga.
The nature reserve occupies lowlands on the right bank of the lower Svir River, including a portion of the eastern shore of Lake Ladoga and its waters. The zapovednik's northern border coincides with the border of the Republic of Karelia. The areas across the border belong to Olonetsky Zakaznik. About 30% of the reserve is swamp and peat bog, with additional transient fens and wetlands. The forests are coniferous spruce with an under-story of blueberry bush and shrub. The terrain features sand ridges left by the retreating glaciers in the last Ice Age.
It was first proposed in the 1950s that protected areas on the eastern shore of Lake Ladoga be created. At the time, the proposals were rejected by the authorities. The expansion and the industrial growth of the city of Leningrad caused considerable impact on the ecology of surrounding areas, and it was again proposed that a protected area be established to study this impact. In 1976 a large-scale program started, and, in particular, Nizhnesvirsky Zakaznik was established. Eventually, the zakaznik was transformed into a nature reserve in 1980.
Fauna and flora
It is an important stopover location for migratory birds. The zapovednik has a humid continental climate (Köppen's Dfb). The predominant tree species is Scots Pine. A considerable area is occupied by swamps.
- Нижне-Свирский Заповедник (in Russian). Особо охраняемые природные территории России. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "About the Reserve". Nizhnevirsky State Nature Reserve (Official site). Ministry of Natural Resources and Ecology of the Russian Federation. Retrieved 30 May 2016.
- Laura Riley & William Riley. Nature's Strongholds: The World's Great Wildlife Reserves. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2005. ISBN 0-691-12219-9. P. 261-262.
- Растительность (in Russian). ООПТ России. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- Животный мир (in Russian). ООПТ России. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nizhnesvirsky Nature Reserve.|