Ruiz in 2008
|Occupation||Singer-songwriter, musician, producer|
|Genres||Disco, house, dance-punk, nu-disco|
|Labels||Park Side Records, DFA Records, Midnight Sun Sound, Manimal Vinyl|
Nomi Ruiz was born in 1986 and raised in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, New York City. Her parents are Americans of Puerto Rican descent.
Nomi Ruiz released her debut album Lost in Lust on her own independent label Park Side Records. The album is a song-oriented downbeat electronic album steeped in the grittier ends of early-'90s hip-hop and R&B production. She also toured with Antony & The Johnsons and has been part of their "Turning" project.
Nomi Ruiz was featured on the songs "You Belong", "Hercules Theme", and "I'm Telling You" for album Hercules and Love Affair. Pitchfork Media placed "Hercules Theme" at #21 on The 100 Best Tracks of 2008. She toured extensively with the band in support of the album, singing her song contributions as well as those of Antony Hegarty. The Guardian described Ruiz as "boasting the spookily effortless air of a future pop icon."
She formed the group Jessica 6 with Andrew Raposo (of Automato) and Morgan Wiley. The band met in late 2007 after they helped put together the Hercules and Love Affair live show. Jessica 6 released their debut single "Fun Girl" on May 21, 2009, by the label Midnight Sun Sound. Jessica 6 has toured with Amanda Blank and Peaches.
Ruiz collaborated with The Ones on their single "Let's Celebrate" from their upcoming fourth album Blast From the Past. "Let's Celebrate" currently peaked at #9 on the U.S Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs.
Ruiz was featured in the campaign film for the Mugler menswear collection for Spring/Summer 2012 titled "Brothers of Aracadia" along with her band Jessica 6's song "White Horse". The trio disbanded in 2012 and Nomi continued her work in electro-pop and dance under the same name.
In 2012 Ruiz relocated to Athens Greece to work on a new Jessica 6 album with producer, composer, writer ELIOT. While working in Athens, Nomi was invited to perform on a televised benefit concert with one of Greek’s leading male pop stars Sakis Rouvas. The provocative performance of a song titled ‘Bad Thing’, which stirred up controversy as it marked the first time a female trans artist had performed on national television with a male counterpart. The backlash from the performance exposed an underlying bigotry in society as well as mainstream media while simultaneously making history and sending a message of hope and progress to the LGBTQ community overseas and across the globe.
In 2013 Ruiz began contributing as a vocalist, vocal arranger and lyricist to the Keinemusik project NR&. Together they've released 4 tracks under the Keinemusik label titled 'Broken Toy', 'Enemy', 'Spoken For', and 'Taste Like'. Nomi also featured on the debut Keinemusik album 'You Are Safe' where she also contributed vocals, vocal arrangements and lyrics to the song 'Bumper'.
In 2015 before completing her work in Greece, Nomi returned to New York and released a sophomore Jessica 6 album titled ‘The Capricorn’. DJ's and producers Eli Escobar, Olga Kouklaki, Dim Vach, Rampa, Thodoris Triantafilou and CJ Jeff contributed as producers. 'The Capricorn' was called “seductive, dark, smart, and as catchy as Miss Jackson's greatest hits” by i-D Magazine and Noisey declared “her first release since 2011 is a banger!” The lead single 'Down Low' was accompanied by a steamy music video directed by Gabriel Magdaleno.
In 2016 Nomi began collaborating with producer, composer, songwriter Oli Chang aka Animal Feelings. She featured on the song 'Chemical Love' as a vocalist and also appeared in the music video directed by Adam France. The video premiered on The Fader and was accompanied by a powerful essay written by Ruiz on gender, femininity, identity and abandoning ego. It was also the first time Ruiz opened up about her struggles with Alopecia auto-immune disease. 'Chemical Love' was also featured in the Netflix series 'Gypsy' starring Naomi Watts.
They followed up 'Chemical Love' with a cover of Ariana Grande's 'Into You' which premiered on Thump along with an announcement for plans to release a full length collaborative album titled 'Love Luxury'.
In 2018 Nomi contributed vocals to another Animal Feelings track titled 'Divine Love'. The song was used in the Ralph Lauren Romance perfume campaign.
|Lost in Lust||2005||Park Side Records|
|Hercules and Love Affair||2008||DFA Records|
|See The Light||2011||Peacefrog Records|
|The Capricorn||2015||Park Side Records|
- Kellman, Andy. ((( Nomi > Overview ))) Allmusic. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- Jessica 6 – Bios jessica6music.com. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- Nomi – Bio nomionline.com. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- (2008-12-15). The 100 Best Tracks of 2008 Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 2010-06-30.
- Zazovsky, Maria (2009). Features – Nomi Ruiz (Hercules and Love Affair) Ponytail Magazine. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- Robinson, Peter (February 23, 2008). Groove is in the art The Guardian. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- Adams, Robyn (March 11, 2010). Jessica 6 Interview: SXSW 2010 Spinner. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- Jessica 6 – Fun Girl Discogs. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- Birman, Paul (November 16, 2009). Peaches, Amanda Blank & Jessica 6 @ Terminal 5, NYC – pics Brooklyn Vegan. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- The Ones are back just in time to save the dancefloor!! AGAIN!! Peace Bisquit. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- "The Ones Music News & Info". Billboard. Retrieved 2010-11-17.
- Brillson, Leila (June 23, 2011). "Nicola Formichetti's Transgendered Muse Talks X-Rated 'Brothers of Arcadia' Mugler Video". MTV. MTV Networks. Retrieved June 26, 2011.
- Cowles, Charlotte (June 23, 2011). "Exclusive First Look: Nicola Formichetti's New Muse, Nomi Ruiz, in V". New York. New York Media Holdings. Retrieved June 26, 2011.