Noura Saleh Erakat|
Alameda County, California, U.S.
B.A. University of California, Berkeley |
J.D. UC Berkeley School of Law
L.L.M Georgetown University Law Center
University of California, Berkeley|
|Relatives||Yousef Erakat (Brother)|
Noura Erakat /
Education and career
Erakat graduated with a B.A. from the University of California, Berkeley in 2002 (Phi Beta Kappa) and was a UC Berkeley Human Rights Center Summer Fellow in 2003. She received her J.D. from UC Berkeley School of Law in 2005 and was awarded the Francine Diaz Memorial Scholarship Award in the same year. Finally, she completed her L.L.M at Georgetown University Law Center in 2012.
Erakat has "served as legal counsel to the House of Representatives Oversight Committee" and has previously taught at Georgetown University. From 2012-2014, she was a Freedman Fellow with Temple University Beasley School of Law. She currently serves on the board of the Institute for Policy Studies, is a member of the Board of Directors for the Trans-Arab Research Institute, and is a policy advisor with Al-Shabaka: The Palestinian Policy Network.
- Aborted State? The UN Initiative and New Palestinian Junctures. Co-edited with Mouin Rabbani, 2013.
- "Palestinian Refugees and the Syrian Uprising: Filling the Protection Gap During Secondary Forced Displacement." Oxford Journal of International Refugee Law, Forthcoming.
- "New Imminence in the Time of Obama: The Impact of Targeted Killings on the Law of Self Defense." Arizona Law Review, Forthcoming.
- "The US v. The Red Cross: Customary International Humanitarian Law & Universal Jurisdiction." Denver Journal of International Law and Policy 41 Denv. J. Int'l L. & Pol'y 225 (Winter 2013).
- "It’s Not Wrong, It’s Illegal: Situating the Gaza Blockade Between International Law and the UN Response." UCLA Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law, Vol. 11, No. 37, 2011-2012.
- "Operation Cast Lead: The Elusive Quest for Self-Defense in International Law." 36 Rutgers L. Rec. 164 (2009).
- "Litigating the Arab-Israeli Conflict: The Politicization of U.S. Federal Courtrooms." 2 Berkeley Journal of Middle Eastern & Islamic Law 27 (2009).
- "U.S. Should Stop Funding Israel, or Let Others Broker Peace." New York Times, August 5, 2014.
- "Israeli operation not about security: Opposing view." USA Today, July 31, 2014.
- "Five Israeli Talking Points on Gaza—Debunked." The Nation, July 25, 2014.
- "Structural Violence on Trial: BDS and the Movement to Resist Erasure." Los Angeles Review of Books, March 16, 2014.
- Israel's greatest threats are internal, not Hamas or Iran, says former prime minister Ehud Barak CBC, June 5, 2018
- To The Point: "A New Shot at Peace Talks: Will it be Different this Time?" KCRW, July 31, 2013.
- Beyond Beijing: "Palestine seeking statehood bid in UN.” China Radio International, November 21, 2012.
- "Gaza in context.", gazaincontext.com, July 2016.
- "Debating the tactics and ethics of warfare on both sides of Mideast conflict." PBS NewsHour, July 24, 2014.
- "Gaza Debate: As Palestinian Deaths Top 100, Who’s to Blame for Escalating Violence? What Can Be Done?." Democracy Now!, July 11, 2014.
- Up With Chris Hayes: “Obama wraps up first trip to Israel as president.” MSNBC, March 22, 2013.
- Up With Chris Hayes: "What sparked escalation of violence in Israel and Gaza.” MSNBC, November 17, 2012.
- "The Law in These Parts: A Discussion." WNET (PBS Thirteen)
- "George Mason University, New Century College Faculty: Noura Erakat". George Mason University.
- "Faculty Highlight: Noura Erakat". George Mason University.[dead link]
- "Noura Erakat: List of Publications". Noura Erakat Official Website.
- Welsh, Theresa (Sep 5, 2014). "West Bank Settlements Overshadow New Arab Housing in Jerusalem". U.S. News & World Report.
- Rudoren, Jodi (August 26, 2014). "Cease-Fire Extended, but Not on Hamas's Terms". New York Times.
- The Editors (July 30, 2014). "Israel Must Stop Its Campaign of Terror". The Nation.
- "Large group of U.S. scholars endorse academic boycott of Israel". CBS News/Associated Press. December 17, 2013.
- "Georgetown Bio". Georgetown University.
- Muller, Nat. "Reviews and Critique: Jadaliyya". Portal 9.
- "Jadaliyya: Noura Erakat". Jadaliyya.
- "UC Berkeley Human Rights Center Summer Fellow". UC Berkeley.
- "Berkeley Law School". Berkeley Law School.
- "Current Freedman Fellows". Temple University.
- "Board Members". Institute for Policy Studies.
- "Board of Directors: TARI". TARI.
- "Policy Advisor: Al Shabaka". alshabaka.