Novosibirsk State Technical University
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Новосибирский государственный технический университет
|Rector||Prof. Dr. Nikolay V. Pustovoy|
Novosibirsk State Technical University (Abbreviation: NTU), until 1992 the Novosibirsk Electrotechnical Institute (NETI), is one of the major research and educational centers of Russia as well as one of the top technical universities located in Novosibirsk, Russia.
The university was established in accordance with the USSR Council of Ministries' Decree of 19 August 1950. It has 11 faculties and 2 institutes: Institute of Social Rehabilitation and Institute of Distant Education, 73 departments, 4 branches and 9 NSTU representative offices. At present, more than 14000 students are receiving quality educations at NSTU. The teaching staff consists of 968 full-time and 216 part-time lecturers including 184 Professors, Doctors of Science, 762 Associate Professors and Candidates of Science.
The direction of scientific research corresponds to the individual areas of specialization of the faculties. The best-known of these deal with fundamental research in the following directions: automatic control; creating a new class of measuring facilities; software and data for expert systems; new types of electronic and radio engineering devices; hybrid methods and program complexes aimed at the strength of the design and the reliability of the calculations.
The material and technical base of the university ensures a high professional level of education and research activity of students. The center of Information Technologies provides the university with a local network of more than 600 computers. The network has more than 5 km of connections with access to the internet. A project for accessing information from the scientific library is underway. Since 1996 a data base has been under development on the basis of Folio Infobase.
The university publishes the journal NSTU Bulletin, scientific works, textbooks, monographs, and teaching manuals. Candidates of Science and Doctors of Science are conferred by 11 specialist councils.
The university's library holds 1.2 million volumes. There is a book supply, consisting of the newest books in English, received by the university within the framework of the program TACIS - "Economic Education". The printing house of NSTU publishes scientific transactions and monographs and provides students with notebooks and school supplies.
The university has an academic choir, the winner of various competitions, including an international competition in Prague (1990), an ensemble of violinists widely known in Novosibirsk and a jazz orchestra, the laureate of big number of competitions and festivals, including the European Music Festival for Young People in Neerpelt. Every year the culture center of the university organizes an international party at which foreign students and teachers have a chance to show their talents.
NSTU actively cooperates with foreign universities and has made 25 agreements for co-operation in scientific research, education and culture with universities of America, Germany, France, South Korea, China, etc. Also student mobility are promoted with other technical universities through the Salzburg Seminar, Britain Council, DAAD, INTAS, TEMPUS, EDRUS-TACIS, TACIS.
A regional center for international cooperation in the educational field of engineering has been working in NSTU since 1995. Authorized training centers of leading companies from the USA and Germany, e.g. Sun Microsystems, Texas Instruments, Schneider, DEC, Autodesk, Motorola, AEG, and DMG have been opened.
In 2009, NSTU was chosen as a university of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation. It is a member of several academic co-operations and maintains close links to the industry. The university attracts teachers from others countries, especially for foreign language training (English, German, French, Korean, Japanese, Chinese and Turkish).
The university is made up of 73 departments, organized into 11 faculties:
- Automation and Computer Science
- Physical Engineering
- Applied Mathematics and Computer Science
- Electromechanical Engineering
- Radio Engineering and Electronics
- Aircraft Engineering
- Power Engineering
- Mechanics and Technology
Training is conducted using a multilevel structure of education:
- Baccalaureate (bakalavr) degree, delivering a broad understanding of fundamental Engineering Science and a thorough introduction to Economics, Management and Communication. Students are admitted through competitive examinations for students holding a Higher School Diploma or by virtue of outstanding academic records.
- Specialist degree opens access to professional practice in areas like medicine, engineering and teaching, and it is also the traditional prerequisite for admission to doctoral studies. The qualification of Specialist Diploma is awarded after studies lasting 5 to 6 years. The diploma is awarded in all fields of study, including various specializations. The State final attestation for a Specialist Diploma covers the defense of a project or a thesis and State final examinations. The procedure for the State final attestation and for the award of the Diploma as well as the content of Diploma supplement are the same as for the bachelor's degree. The Specialist Diploma gives access to a PhD program or employment.
- Master's (magistr) degree is generally of two years duration and has a more pronounced research focus in comparison to the Specialist Diploma. Each faculty has its own specific admission requirements.
- Candidate of Sciences (kandidat nauk) (globally recognized as an equivalent to PhD) degree normally requires at least three years of study after the award of the Specialist Diploma or the Magistr degree and defending the dissertation.
- "ЗАЯШНИКОВ Сергей Иванович - Российские спортсмены и специалисты - Спортивная Россия". www.infosport.ru. Retrieved 21 September 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Novosibirsk State Technical University.|
- Novosibirsk State Technical University's Russian website
- Novosibirsk State Technical University's English website