O. P. Bhatt
Om Prakash Bhatt
Bhatt at the World Economic Forum annual meeting in 2011
|22nd Chairman of State Bank of India|
|Preceded by||Arun Kumar Purwar|
|Succeeded by||Pratip Chaudhuri|
|Born||7 March 1951|
Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India
Om Prakash Bhatt (born 7 March 1951) is an Indian banker and was the Chairman of State Bank of India till 31 March 2011 Presently, he is independent director on the board of the highest profit earning 'Maharatna' Central Public Sector Enterprise - Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (ONGC), Tata Steel Ltd and also Hindustan Unilever Ltd. (HUL). On 25 November 2016 he was made chairman of TATA Steel.
Om Prakash Bhatt was born on 7 March 1951 in Dehradun, Uttarakhand. He was National Science Talent Search Scholar in Physics at DAV College, Dehradun. He did his MA in English literature from Meerut University. His favorite holiday spots are hills in Uttarakhand and North-East (he was Chief General Manager of NE Circle).
O. P. Bhatt Started his career as a probationary officer in SBI in 1972. He also served as Managing Director, State Bank of Travancore from January 2005 to April 2006. Before becoming Managing Director of SBT he was Chief General Manager of North-East Circle and within a year he lifted the circle from bottom to No. 1 position.
He was appointed Chairman of SBI in June 2006. He retired in March 2011 and had a long tenure as SBI Chairman in the recent past, one of the very few who served 5 years as Chairman. He is best known for transforming SBI and bringing efficiency and competitiveness in operations. Under his chairmanship, SBI adopted an aggressive strategy in marketing and operations.
- SBI becomes first bank to take up registration of UID number. Economictimes.indiatimes.com (2010-07-02). Retrieved on 2012-03-29.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20100920172413/http://businessworld.in/bw/2009_12_18_Bringing_About_Change_Smartly.html. Archived from the original on 20 September 2010. Retrieved 2 July 2010. Missing or empty
- "Standard Chartered plc". Companies House. Retrieved 29 August 2015.
- Bhatt, OP. "OP Bhatt The Chairman in a hurry", livemint, Mumbai, 3 May 2008. Retrieved on 26 November 2016.
- O.P. Bhatt appointed SBI Chairman. The Hindu Business Line (2006-07-01). Retrieved on 2012-03-29.
- Business : O. P. Bhatt elected IBA Chairman. The Hindu (2010-06-09). Retrieved on 2012-03-29.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 6 October 2014. Retrieved 4 September 2014.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Om Bhatt: Independent Non-Executive Director". Standard Chartered. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to O.P. Bhatt.|