Office of Justice Programs
Seal of the United States Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs
|Jurisdiction||Federal government of the United States|
810 7th Street NW
Washington, D.C., United States
|Parent department||U.S. Department of Justice|
The Office of Justice Programs (OJP) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that focuses on crime prevention through research and development, assistance to state, local, and tribal criminal justice agencies, including law enforcement, corrections, and juvenile justice through grants and assistance to crime victims.
The Office of Justice Programs is headed by an Assistant Attorney General. Alan Hanson is the Acting Assistant Attorney General effective January 30, 2017. OJP's Assistant Attorney General is responsible for the overall management and oversight of the office.
In 1968, the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act, the Law Enforcement Assistance Administration (LEAA) was established and later abolished in 1982. Its predecessor agency was the Office of Law Enforcement Assistance (1965–1968). The LEAA was succeeded by the Office of Justice Assistance, Research, and Statistics (1982–1984). In 1984, the Office of Justice Assistance, Research, and Statistics became the Office of Justice Programs with the enactment of the Justice Assistance Act of 1984.
- Office of the Assistant Attorney General
- Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA)
- Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS)
- National Institute of Justice (NIJ)
- Office for Victims of Crime (OVC)
- Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP)
- Office of Sex Offender Sentencing, Monitoring, Apprehending, Registering, and Tracking (SMART)
- Office of Administration (OA)
- Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO)
- Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO)
- Office for Civil Rights (OCR)
- Office of General Counsel (OGC)
- Office of Communications (OCOM)
- Equal Employment Opportunity Office (EEO)
- Office of Audit, Assessment, and Management (OAAM)
- Beth McGarry, ojp.gov. Retrieved 2017-05-19.
- "Leadership". Office of Justice Programs. United States Department of Justice. Retrieved November 13, 2014.
- "Office of Justice Programs - Office of Assistant Attorney General". ojp.gov. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs. January 30, 2017. Retrieved February 2, 2017.
- "Records of the Law Enforcement Assistance Administration". National Archives. Retrieved 2007-06-10.
- "The Office of Justice Programs". National Criminal Justice Association Center for Justice Planning. Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- "About the Office of Justice Programs". ojp.gov. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs.