Old & In the Gray
|Old & In the Gray|
|Studio album by|
|Released||October 1, 2002|
|Old & In the Way chronology|
|David Grisman chronology|
Old & In the Gray is a bluegrass album released in 2002 by the surviving members of the band Old & In the Way – Peter Rowan (guitar), David Grisman (mandolin), and Vassar Clements (fiddle). Banjoist Jerry Garcia and bassist John Kahn, both of whom were deceased, were replaced by Herb Pedersen and Bryn Bright, respectively.
|The Music Box|||
On AllMusic, Ken Dryden said, "The music stretches boundaries as much as the earlier band, with a mix of vintage bluegrass and country classics... along with more modern pieces... It's obvious that the musicians had a lot of fun trading vocals and instrumental licks as well as harmonizing throughout the date..."
In The Music Box, John Metzger wrote, "Renamed Old & In the Gray, the group at long last has recorded a studio album, and the result is well worth the wait. Of the fourteen tracks on its self-titled debut, there's nary a dud in the lot as the ensemble traverses a variety of songs, cutting a wide swath through bluegrass, country, and rock... Throughout the album, tight harmonies and exquisite instrumentation abound, all of which is put forth with genuine aplomb."
- "Good Old Boys" (John Hartford) – 4:57
- "Pancho and Lefty" (Townes Van Zandt) – 5:14
- "Meadow Green" (Peter Rowan) – 2:49
- "The Flood" (Carter Stanley) – 4:06
- "When the Springtime Comes Again" (A. P. Carter) – 3:14
- "Barefoot Nellie" (Don Reno/Jim Davis) – 2:28
- "Childish Love" (Ira Louvin) – 3:21
- "Victim to the Tomb" (John Duffey) – 4:28
- "Vassar's Fiddle Rag" (Vassar Clements) – 3:10
- "Two Little Boys" (Charlie Waller/John Duffey) – 3:57
- "On the Old Kentucky Shore" (Bill Monroe) – 4:17
- "Honky Tonk Women" (Keith Richards/Mick Jagger) – 2:35
- "Let Those Brown Eyes Smile at Me" (Rusty Nail) – 2:35
- "Rainmaker" (Peter Rowan) – 3:56
- David Grisman – mandolin, vocals
- Peter Rowan – guitar, vocals
- Herb Pedersen – banjo, guitar, vocals
- Vassar Clements – fiddle
- Bryn Bright – double bass
- Produced by David Grisman
- Executive producer: Craig Miller
- Production assistance: Rob Bleetstein
- Recording engineer: Larry Cummings
- Mixing: Larry Cummings, David Grisman
- Mastering: Paul Stubblebine
- Cover art: Ivan Artucovich
|U.S. Billboard Top Bluegrass Albums||9|
|U.S. Billboard Top Country Albums||72|
- "Old & In The Gray". Grateful Dead Family Discography. Retrieved 2012-10-06.
- "Old and in the Gray". Puremusic. Retrieved 2012-10-06.
- "Old & In The Gray". Acoustic Disc. Retrieved 2012-10-06.
- Dryden, Ken. "Old & In the Gray". AllMusic. Retrieved 2018-09-19.
- Metzger, John (December 2002). "Old & in the Gray". The Music Box. Retrieved 2012-10-06.