Old Westbury Gardens
Old Westbury Gardens
|Nearest city||Westbury, New York|
|Area||100 acres (40 ha)|
|Architect||George A. Crawley|
|Architectural style||"English manorial"|
|NRHP Reference #||76001234|
|Added to NRHP||November 08, 1976|
Old Westbury Gardens is the former estate of John Shaffer Phipps (1874–1958), heir to a U.S. Steel fortune, in Nassau County, New York at 71 Old Westbury Road in Old Westbury, Nassau County, New York.
Work on the estate began in 1903, when John Shaffer Phipps promised his British fiancée Margarita he would build her a home in the United States that resembled her family estate in Battle Abbey. The estate was ready for Phipps, his wife and their children in 1906.
It has been open to the public for tours since 1959. It is open to the public daily except Tuesdays from late April through October. An entrance fee is charged.
Other movies filmed on the grounds include North by Northwest, The Age of Innocence, The Manchurian Candidate (2004), Wolf, Hitch, Cruel Intentions, 8MM, Bernard and Doris, American Gangster, and To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar. Scenes from the television series Royal Pains and Gossip Girl also used the location in filming.
- Staff (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Cultural Resource Information System (CRIS)" (Searchable database). New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2016-03-01. Note: This includes Raymond W. Smith (July 1976). "National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Old Westbury Gardens" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-03-01. and Accompanying photographs, Lorraine Gilligan (August 2010). "National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Old Westbury Gardens (Boundary Increase)" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-03-01. and Accompanying photographs
Media related to Old Westbury Gardens at Wikimedia Commons
- Official Site
- Pictures of 'Westbury House' & Old Westbury Gardens
- Dobrin, Lyn. (2001, March). Old Westbury Gardens — Long Island, New York. Flower & Garden Magazine
- Westbury House, Old Westbury, NY sample page in a coffee-table book