One (Bob James album)
|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Studio album by Bob James|
Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs
|Genre||Jazz fusion, Smooth jazz|
|Bob James chronology|
One is the first solo album by jazz musician Bob James released in 1974. It followed "Bold Conceptions (1963 on Mercury) and "Explosions (1965 on ESP-Disk). It was an important album in the early smooth jazz genre and is famous for its end track, "Nautilus", which became culturally important to hip hop as one of the most sampled tracks in American music.
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
Released on April 17, 1974 this album charted at number two on the Jazz Album Charts.
- "Valley Of The Shadows" (Bob James) – 9:42
- "In The Garden" (Johann Pachelbel) – 3:06
- "Soulero" (Bob James, Richard Evans) – 3:22
- "Night on Bald Mountain" (Modest Mussorgsky) – 5:51
- "Feel Like Making Love" (Gene McDaniels) – 6:40
- "Nautilus" (Bob James) – 5:08
- Bob James - Keyboards, Conductor, Arranger
- Grover Washington, Jr. - Soprano Saxophone
- Idris Muhammad, Steve Gadd - Drums
- Gary King - Bass
- Richie Resnicoff - Guitar
- Eric Weissberg - Steel Pedal Guitar
- Ralph MacDonald - Percussion
- Dave Friedman - Vibraphone
- Hugh McCracken - Harmonica
- Jon Faddis, Thad Jones - Flugelhorn
- Alan Rubin, Jon Faddis, Lew Soloff, Marvin Stamm, Thad Jones, Victor Paz - Trumpet
- Wayne Andre - Trombone
- Alan Raph, Jack Gale, Paul Faulise - Bass Trombone
- George Marge, Romeo Penque - Alto Flute
- Charles Libove, David Nadien, Emanuel Green, Gene Orloff, Harold Kohon, Harry Lookofsky, Joe Malin, Max Ellen, Paul Gershman - Violin
- Alan Shulman, Anthony Sophos, Charles McCracken, George Ricci, Jesse Levy, Seymour Barab - Cello
|Billboard Pop Albums||85|
|Billboard Top Soul Albums||48|
|Billboard Top Jazz Albums||2|
|1974||"Feel Like Makin' Love"||88|
Samples & Covers
|This section does not cite any sources. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Ultramagnetic MCs sampled "Nautilus" on their song "Ced-Gee (Delta Force One)" on their album Critical Beatdown in 1988.
- Run–D.M.C. sampled "Nautilus" on their song "Beats To The Rhyme" on their album Tougher Than Leather in 1988.
- Slick Rick reinterpreted the pattern of the bassline to "Nautilus" on his song "Children's Story" on his album The Great Adventures of Slick Rick in 1988.
- Public Enemy sampled "Nautilus" on their song "Anti-Nigger Machine" on their album Fear of a Black Planet in 1990.
- Eric B. & Rakim sampled "Nautilus" on their hit song "Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em" on their album Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em in 1990.
- EPMD sampled "Nautilus" on their song "Brothers On My Jock" on their album Business as Usual in 1990.
- Main Source sampled "Feel Like Makin' Love" on their song "Scratch & Kut" on their album Breaking Atoms in 1991.
- Main Source sampled "Nautilus" on their song "Live at the Barbeque" on their album Breaking Atoms in 1991.
- Kruder & Dorfmeister sampled "Nautilus" on their song "Original Bedroom Rockers" on the G-Stoned EP in 1993.
- Ultramagnetic MCs sampled "Nautilus" on their song "Raise It Up" on their album The Four Horsemen in 1993.
- Onyx sampled "Nautilus" on their song "Throw Ya Gunz" on their album Bacdafucup in 1993.
- Naughty by Nature sampled "Nautilus" on their song "Cruddy Clique" on their album 19 Naughty III in 1993.
- Pete Rock & CL Smooth sampled "Nautilus" on their song "Sun Won't Come Out" on their album The Main Ingredient in 1993.
- A Tribe Called Quest sampled "Nautilus" on their song "Clap Your Hands" on their album Midnight Marauders in 1993.
- Jeru the Damaja sampled "Nautilus" on his song "My Mind Spray" on his album The Sun Rises in the East in 1994.
- Group Home sampled "Nautilus" on their song "Inna Citi Life" on their album Livin' Proof in 1995.
- Ghostface Killah sampled "Nautilus" on his song "Daytona 500" on his album Ironman in 1996.
- Murs & 9th Wonder sampled "Nautilus" on their song "Murray's Revenge" on their album Murray's Revenge in 2006.
- Danny Brown sampled "Nautilus" on his song "Pac Blood" on his album XXX in 2011.
- Freddie Gibbs sampled "Nautilus" on his song "Extradite" (featuring rapper Black Thought) on his album Shadow of a Doubt in 2015.
Soul II Soul Sampled "Nautilus" on a remix version of the song "Jazzie's Groove" in the early 90's
- Yanow, Scott. Bob James: One > Review at AllMusic. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- Swenson, J. (Editor) (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 111. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- "Bob James US albums chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-07-13.
- "Bob James US singles chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-07-13.