|Initial release||1.0.0 / 4 October 2012|
|Stable release||4.1.3 / 17 June 2015|
|Preview release||4.2.0 / 7 July 2015|
|Written in||Ruby on Rails, AngularJS|
|Type||Project management software|
|License||GNU General Public License v3|
OpenProject is a web-based project management system for location-independent team collaboration. This open source application is released under the GNU General Public License Version 3 and is continuously developed by an active open source community. Since its inception, the speed of development and the number of developers of OpenProject  exceeds the speed of its ancestor project Redmine by far.
In addition to numerous smaller OpenProject installations there are also some very large installations in global organizations with more than 2,500 projects.
- project management and milestones
- issue management
- bug tracking,
- project timelines,
- document management
- time tracking
- project news
The OpenProject Foundation was established by OpenProject’s developers and users in October 2012. After founding the association in April 2013 it was registered (VR 32487) in June in the register of the Amtsgericht (local court) of Berlin-Charlottenburg.
The association provides an organizational framework for technical decisions and the propagation, acceleration and perpetuation of development by the world wide community and by a full-time development team, funded by the members of the OpenProject Foundation.
The association aims at the following objectives:
- establishing and promoting an active and open community of developers, users and companies for continuously developing the open source project collaboration software OpenProject;
- defining and developing the project vision, the code of conduct and principles of the application;
- creating development policies and ensuring their compliance;
- defining and evolving the development and quality assurance processes;
- providing the source code to the public;
- providing and operating the OpenProject platform.
The association does not pursue economic goals of its own.
OpenProject has been developed since 2010 along with the ancestor project ChiliProject. The initial motivation for this fork was the OPF founding members' performance, security and accessibility requirements, which could not easily be reached by plugins to either Redmine or ChiliProject.
Recent and further developments
The current release schedule and future development roadmap can be observed and discussed on the OpenProject development platform.
Besides the development of new functions, the following technical objectives are pursued in the context of refactoring:
- develop a new API v3;
- rebuild the work package module with AngularJS as a Single-page application;
- rebuild the CSS structure usin the CSS framework Foundation for Apps.
- http://offenesprojekt.de/OpenProject/scg16_seiten-16-21_openproject.pdf (the article as PDF)
- http://offenesprojekt.de/OpenProject/Screenguide_en.html (an English translation)