Other Music is a music retail store that sells CDs and records through their website as well as a brick-and-mortar store in Manhattan. It specializes in the sale of closely curated underground, rare and experimental music. The physical store is located at 11-13 East 4th Street, in Greenwich Village, in lower Manhattan, in New York City, New York, U.S.A.
In January 2007, Other Music announced that it plans to begin selling high-quality MP3 files for download without using any type of digital rights management. This announcement follows similar moves made by other small online music retailers, including United Kingdom-based Rough Trade, New York-based Insound and New York-based Anthology Recordings. The announcement also coincided with the closing of Tower Records' Lower Manhattan location. According to Other Music co-owner Josh Madell, this closing signifies the growing hardship of selling music out of a physical store, especially considering his store's location just across the street from Tower.
Writing about Other Music's closure for The New Yorker, Amanda Petrusich said, "In 1999, if you were the type of person who was looking for something a little different (more challenging, more sophisticated, more esoteric) from the schlock being peddled to the herds of dead-eyed automatons browsing the Tower Records up the block, then here was the store for you!"
- A Real Music Store Sprouts Online
- village voice > music > The Brave New World of Digital Music by Andy Beta
- Coscarelli, Joe Other Music Record Shop, Yielding to Trends, Will Close New York Times. June 22, 2016
- NYC record store Other Music says goodbye after 20 years MSNBC. June 22, 2016
- Petrusich, Amanda Why Record Stores Mattered The New Yorker. June 22, 2016
- "A Real Music Store Sprouts Online", Wired News, January 22, 2007
- "In the Shadow of No Tower", The Village Voice, January 26, 2007
- Other Music
- Rough Trade Digital
- Insound Digital
- Anthology Recordings
- Physical Store Location On GoogleMaps
|This article about a music website is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|