Location of the Otjozondjupa Region in Namibia
|• Governor||James Uerikua|
|• Total||105,460 km2 (40,720 sq mi)|
|• Density||1.4/km2 (3.5/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (CAT)|
medium · 6th
Otjozondjupa region is one of the fourteen regions of Namibia, whose capital is Otjiwarongo. An outstanding landmark within this region is the Waterberg Plateau Park. Administration offices are based in Otjiwarongo which is the largest town in the region.
- Omaheke – southeast
- Khomas – south
- Erongo – southwest
- Kunene – northwest
- Oshikoto – north
- Kavango – northeast
Otjozondjupa borders more regions than any other region of Namibia.
The region comprises seven constituencies:
Economy and infrastructure
The farming activities of Okahandja and Otjiwarongo are homogenous as these parts are well known for cattle farming. The Otavi and Grootfontein districts, and to a lesser extent also Otjiwarongo, are the granary of Namibia. The region also has a great potential to establish industries connected with such farming activities and by-products of it. It further has the advantage of combining communal and commercial farming in the same region.
The infrastructure of the region is such that effective administration is possible. The state of development in the area, and the facilities available, form a solid basis for future development. This region has the potential to be economically independent.
Twenty four kilometres west of Grootfontein lies the huge Hoba meteorite. At over 60 tons, it is the largest known meteorite on Earth, as well as being the largest naturally occurring mass of iron known to exist on the planet's surface.
- "Goodbye". Namibian Sun. 10 April 2020. p. 1.
- "Namibia's Population by Region". Election Watch. Institute for Public Policy Research (1): 3. 2013.
- "Otjozondjupa 2011 Census Regional Profile" (PDF). Statistics Namibia. Retrieved 10 April 2020.
- "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab". hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- "Regional Council Election Results 2015". Electoral Commission of Namibia. 3 December 2015. pp. 20–21. Archived from the original on 8 December 2015.
- Menges, Werner (29 November 2015). "Mixed results for opposition in regional polls". The Namibian.
- "President announces governors". The Namibian. 10 April 2015. Archived from the original on 14 April 2015. Retrieved 14 April 2015.
- Duddy, Jo Maré (11 April 2013). "Unemployment rate still alarmingly high". The Namibian. Archived from the original on 14 April 2013.
- Miyanicwe, Clemans; Kahiurika, Ndanki (27 November 2013). "School counsellors overstretched". The Namibian. p. 1.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Otjozondjupa.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Otjozondjupa.|