Otter Lake, Quebec
Location within Pontiac RCM.
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||January 1, 1877|
|• Mayor||Kim C. Villeneuve|
|• Federal riding||Pontiac|
|• Prov. riding||Pontiac|
|• Total||494.60 km2 (190.97 sq mi)|
|• Land||463.50 km2 (178.96 sq mi)|
|• Density||2.4/km2 (6/sq mi)|
|• Pop (2006–11)||14.1%|
|Time zone||EST (UTC−5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−4)|
|Postal code(s)||J0X 2P0|
|Access Routes|| Route 301
Population centres within the municipality include: Klukeville, Lauréat, Omer, Otter Lake, and Sandy Creek.
The village of Otter Lake is surrounded by Hughes Lake to the west, Lac de la Ferme (Farm Lake) to the east, McCuaig Lake to the south, and Lac à la Loutre (Otter Lake) to the north.
In 1793, Huddersfield Township was established, named after its namesake in West Yorkshire, England. In 1866, Leslie Township was established, named after James Leslie (1786-1873), a Canadian senator.
Also in 1866, the Otter Lake post office opened and the village that formed around the post office also came to have the same name. Since then, Philemon Wright, pioneer of the logging industry in Ottawa, operated a wood depot at Otter Lake. The industry has played and continues to play a leading role in the early and contemporary history of the village.
In 1877, the United Township Municipality of Leslie-Clapham-et-Huddersfield was formed from its constituent townships. While Clapham Township was not officially established until 1920, it was already planned in the second half of the 19th century and named after a village north of Bedford, England. The united municipality was established because it was more advantageous to hold a municipal status than remain unorganized territory.
In 2004 the United Township Municipality of Leslie-Clapham-et-Huddersfield became the Municipality of Otter Lake.
|Canada census – Otter Lake, Quebec community profile|
|Population:||1,109 (+14.1% from 2006)||972 (+10.8% from 2001)|
|Land area:||463.50 km2 (178.96 sq mi)||462.00 km2 (178.38 sq mi)|
|Population density:||2.4/km2 (6.2/sq mi)||2.1/km2 (5.4/sq mi)|
|Median age:||50.4 (M: 51.2, F: 49.9)||45.3 (M: 44.8, F: 45.6)|
|Total private dwellings:||1,130||819|
|Median household income:||$.N/A||$32,225|
|Notes: 2011 income data for this area has been suppressed for data quality or confidentiality reasons. – References: 2011 2006 earlier|
|Historical Census Data - Otter Lake, Quebec|
- English as first language: 75%
- French as first language: 25%
- "Otter Lake" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 2008-06-25.
- "Otter Lake". Répertoire des municipalités (in French). Ministère des Affaires municipales, des Régions et de l'Occupation du territoire. Retrieved 2011-06-22.
- "Otter Lake census profile". 2011 Census of Population. Statistics Canada. Retrieved 2012-04-03. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "cp2011" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- Official Transport Quebec Road Map
- "2006 Community Profiles". Canada 2006 Census. Statistics Canada. March 30, 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- "2001 Community Profiles". Canada 2001 Census. Statistics Canada. February 17, 2012.
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census