Out of the Ordinary Festival
|Out of the Ordinary Festival|
|Genre||Folk music, Electronic music, Ambient music, Techno, House, Pop Music, Dubstep, World Music.|
|Dates||23–25 September 2011|
|Location(s)||Knockhatch Park, Hailsham, Sussex, England|
|Years active||2007 - present|
Out of the Ordinary Festival is a family and eco friendly festival near Hailsham (Grid reference TQ 569 088) in the Sussex countryside. The festival celebrates the Autumn Equinox in England. It features a variety of live music, talks and workshops, performances, activities for children with green and ethical businesses, many powered by solar panels and wind generators. It originally started out as a development of The Antiquarian Society in Brighton. The annual festival takes place in England for three days in the Autumn and now has a capacity of 5,000 people. The festival's home for the last four years has been Knockhatch Park, a setting which comprises an ex-landfill site (Arlington Landfill Site, near Hailsham- Grid reference TQ 569 088)  in Hailsham, Sussex.
Workshops and talks include such topics as prehistoric culture, ancient knowledge and earth mysteries. This has included yoga, meditation, alternative healing and the chance to use a variety of telescopes, a planetarium and laser guided tours of the constellations. Notable speakers include Professor Gordon Hillman, Jonathan Cainer, Andy Thomas, Edmund Marriage, Leo Rutherford and Robert Bauval.
The festival was divided into seven areas named after each of the seven chakras. The music area was appropriately named the throat chakra with two stages; the Ootopia and Peace Stage, as well as an indoor bar and the Conscious Cabaret. In 2011 the site will feature a new, simplified layout comprising the four elements, though still paying tribute to the seven chakras that define its inner workings. The festival features an eclectic mix of music ranging from Folk to Reggae and Electronic and DJs. Sussex Downs College co-sponsored a solar-powered music stage at the festival in 2010.
Out of the Ordinary Festival has featured many acts that are well known in the alternative scene. Some notable performers include:
- 2007 (21–23 September): Small White Light, Maya, The Drookit Dogs.
- 2008 (12–14 September): Banco de Gaia, Katharine Blake, The Burlettes
- 2009 (18–20 September): Zub Zub (Zia Geelani, formerly of the Ozric Tentacles), Eat Static, Celt Islam, The Dolmen, Banco de Gaia, DJ Paygan, Turiya.
- 2010 (17–19 September): Dr. Alex Patterson from The Orb, Andy Barlow from Lamb, Seize The Day, Nucleus Roots, King Porta Stomp.
- 2011 (23–25 September): System 7, Fujiya & Miyagi, Zub Zub (Zia Geelani, formerly of the Ozric Tentacles), Orchid Star.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Out of the Ordinary Festival.|
- Cobley, Mike (15 September 2009). "Out of the Ordinary: Autumn Equinox Festival Announce Music Line-Up". Brighton Magazine. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- "Out of the Ordinary Festival". Brighton & Hove Council. 2008. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- efestivals "Out of the Ordinary Festival". efestivals.co.uk. 2 September 2009. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- "Sussex Downs College co-sponsors music stage at the OOTO festival". Well Being Magazine. 2010. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- "Out of the Ordinary Festival '07". efestivals.co.uk. 28 August 2007. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- "Out of the Ordinary Festival '08". efestivals.co.uk. 1 September 2008. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- "Out of the Ordinary Festival '09". efestivals.co.uk. 2 September 2009. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- Michaels, Sean (19 August 2010). "New Orb album to feature Pink Floyd's David Gilmour". The Guardian. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- "Out of the Ordinary Festival '10". efestivals.co.uk. 8 September 2010. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- "Out of the Ordinary Festival '11". efestivals.co.uk. 11 February 2011. Retrieved 19 March 2011.