Page One (Joe Henderson album)
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||June 3, 1963|
|Studio||Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs|
|Genre||Jazz, Hard Bop|
|Joe Henderson chronology|
(Original LP release)
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
Page One is the debut album by American jazz tenor saxophonist Joe Henderson, released by Blue Note Records in 1963. Besides Henderson, the musicians for the album were trumpeter Kenny Dorham, pianist McCoy Tyner, bassist Butch Warren and drummer Pete La Roca. The album's tracks were all written by either Henderson or Dorham, and include two pieces that went on to become jazz standards: "Recorda Me" by Henderson and "Blue Bossa" by Dorham. All the musicians but Tyner are credited are on the album's front cover; Tyner is listed simply as "etc.", because he was signed to the rival Impulse! Records label.
AllMusic describes the album as a "particularly strong and historic effort". According to All About Jazz, Page One is still one of Henderson's "most critically acclaimed albums". PopMatters, by contrast, prefers later works, indicating in one review that Page One "has the careful feel of a leader’s first session". The album was identified by Scott Yanow in his Allmusic essay "Hard Bop" as one of the 17 Essential Hard Bop Recordings.
The album was released on CD in 1988 by Blue Note and has been in print consistently since then.
All compositions by Joe Henderson except where noted.
- "Blue Bossa" (Kenny Dorham) – 8:03
- "La Mesha" (Kenny Dorham) – 9:10
- "Homestretch" – 4:15
- "Recorda Me" – 6:03
- "Jinrikisha" – 7:24
- "Out of the Night" – 7:23
- Joe Henderson – tenor saxophone
- Kenny Dorham – trumpet
- McCoy Tyner – piano
- Butch Warren – bass
- Pete La Roca – drums
- Alfred Lion – producer
- Reid Miles – design, cover design
- Rudy Van Gelder – engineer, remastering, digital remastering
- Francis Wolff – photography, cover photo
- Michael Cuscuna – CD reissue producer
- Bob Blumenthal – reissue liner notes
- Kenny Dorham – liner notes
- Billboard Oct 26, 1963
- Down Beat: November 21, 1963 vol. 30, no. 30
- Yanow, Scott (2011). "Page One – Joe Henderson | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 17 July 2011.
- Swenson, J., ed. (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 100. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- Page One liner notes, 1999 reissue, Bob Blumenthal
- Page One at AllMusic
- Joe Henderson Archived 2007-12-24 at the Wayback Machine All About Jazz Accessed September 29, 2007.
- See also Beaudreau, James. (September 11, 2002) Joe Henderson: Inner Urge Pop Matters. Accessed September 30, 2007
- Yanow, Scott. Hard Bop (Essay). Accessed August 19, 2013.