Page One (Joe Henderson album)
|Studio album by|
|Released||Mid October 1963|
|Recorded||June 3, 1963|
|Studio||Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs|
|Genre||Jazz, Hard Bop|
|Joe Henderson chronology|
(Original LP release)
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
Page One is the debut release by American jazz tenor saxophonist Joe Henderson. It features some of Henderson's most well-known pieces such as "Recorda Me," later to become a jazz standard, and "Out of the Night", originally written in 1957. The front cover lists "Joe Henderson/Kenny Dorham/Butch Warren/Pete La Roca, etc.". Only McCoy Tyner's name is absent. Bob Blumenthal explains, in his 1999 liner notes, that Tyner had just signed with Impulse!, so this first Blue Note appearance was not very adherent to the contract.
AllMusic describes the album as a "particularly strong and historic effort". According to All About Jazz, Page One, which introduced the Jazz standard "Blue Bossa", is still one of Henderson's "most critically acclaimed albums". PopMatters, by contrast, prefers later works, indicating in one review that Page One "has the careful feel of a leader’s first session". The album was identified by Scott Yanow in his Allmusic essay "Hard Bop" as one of the 17 Essential Hard Bop Recordings.
The album was released on CD in 1988 by Blue Note and has been in print consistently since.
All compositions by Joe Henderson except where noted.
- "Blue Bossa" (Kenny Dorham) – 8:03
- "La Mesha" (Kenny Dorham) – 9:10
- "Homestretch" – 4:15
- "Recorda Me" – 6:03
- "Jinrikisha" – 7:24
- "Out of the Night" – 7:23
- Kenny Dorham – trumpet
- Joe Henderson – tenor saxophone
- McCoy Tyner – piano
- Butch Warren – bass
- Pete La Roca – drums
- Alfred Lion – producer
- Reid Miles – design, cover design
- Rudy Van Gelder – engineer, remastering, digital remastering
- Francis Wolff – photography, cover photo
- Michael Cuscuna – CD reissue producer
- Bob Blumenthal – liner notes
- Kenny Dorham – liner notes
- Billboard Oct 26, 1963
- Down Beat: November 21, 1963 vol. 30, no. 30
- Yanow, Scott (2011). "Page One – Joe Henderson | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 17 July 2011.
- Swenson, J., ed. (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 100. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- Page One at AllMusic
- Joe Henderson Archived 2007-12-24 at the Wayback Machine. All About Jazz Accessed September 29, 2007.
- See also Beaudreau, James. (September 11, 2002) Joe Henderson: Inner Urge Pop Matters. Accessed September 30, 2007
- Yanow, Scott. Hard Bop (Essay). Accessed August 19, 2013.