Palestine, Wirt County, West Virginia
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
Palestine is an unincorporated community in Wirt County, West Virginia, in the United States. It is located at the confluence of the Little Kanawha River and Reedy Creek, at , at an elevation of 682 feet (208 m). Its ZIP code is 26160. The community was named for Palestine.
Prior to 1905, the name of Palestine's post office was Reedy Ripple, to distinguish its name from a community named "Palatine" in Marion County; the name "Reedy Ripple" derived from an accumulation of gravel in the Little Kanawha River at the mouth of Reedy Creek. Palestine gained notice in 2003 for being the hometown of Jessica Lynch.
- West Virginia Atlas & Gazetteer. Yarmouth, Me.: DeLorme. 1997. p. 33. ISBN 0-89933-246-3.
- Geographic Names Information System. "Geographic Names Information System entry for Palestine (Feature ID #1544536)". Retrieved 2007-05-06.
- "ZIP Code Lookup". Retrieved 2007-05-06.
- Kenny, Hamill (1945). West Virginia Place Names: Their Origin and Meaning, Including the Nomenclature of the Streams and Mountains. Piedmont, West Virginia: The Place Name Press. pp. 470–471.
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
|This article about a location in Wirt County, West Virginia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|