Palm City, Florida
Palm City, Florida
|• Total||16.5 sq mi (42.9 km2)|
|• Land||14.6 sq mi (37.9 km2)|
|• Water||1.9 sq mi (5 km2)|
|Elevation||7 ft (2 m)|
|• Density||1,218/sq mi (468.5/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0288396|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 16.6 square miles (43 km2), of which 14.6 square miles (38 km2) is land and 2.0 square miles (5.2 km2) (11.76%) is water.
- Bay Pointe
- Canoe Creek
- Charter Club
- Cobblestone Country Club
- Canopy Creek
- Crane Creek
- Cypress Lake
- Evergreen Golf Club
- Four Rivers
- Fox Run
- Hammock Creek Estates
- Hammock Creek Preserve
- Hammock Creek Sanctuary
- Harbour Pointe
- Harbour Ridge
- Hidden Bay
- Highlands Reserve
- Hunters Creek
- Lake Grove
- Lake Village, formerly The Crossings
- La Mariposa
- Lighthouse Point
- Martin Downs Country Club
- Monarch Country Club
- Oakbrooke Estates
- Oak Ridge
- Old Palm City
- Orchid Bay
- Palm City Farms
- Palm Cove Golf & Yacht Club
- Palm Isles
- Palm Pointe
- Pelican Cove
- Pine Ridge
- Pipers Landing
- River Landing
- Rustic Hills
- Seagate Harbor
- Sawgrass Villas
- St. Lucie Shores
- Stratford Downs
- Stuart West
- Sunset Trace
- The Meadows
- Westwood County Estates
- Whispering Sound
As of the census of 2000, there were 20,097 people, 8,458 households, and 6,301 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,373.4 people per square mile (530.4/km²). There were 9,228 housing units at an average density of 630.6/sq mi (243.5/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 96.56% White, 1.08% African American, 0.13% Native American, 1.03% Asian, 0.40% from other races, and 0.79% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.77% of the population.
There were 8,458 households out of which 27.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.2% were married couples living together, 6.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.5% were non-families. 21.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.35 and the average family size was 2.72.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 21.1% under the age of 18, 3.3% from 18 to 24, 22.5% from 25 to 44, 25.8% from 45 to 64, and 27.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 47 years. For every 100 females, there were 91.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.0 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $62,362, and the median income for a family was $69,688 (these figures had risen to $67,546 and $84,000 respectively as of a 2007 estimate). Males had a median income of $48,852 versus $33,699 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $35,213. About 2.6% of families and 3.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.3% of those under age 18 and 1.6% of those age 65 or over.
Palm City is an unincorporated town located in Martin County, governed by Board of County Commissioners. Martin County is divided into 5 districts. Palm City is represented by Ed Ciampi as part of District 5. All governmental functions are carried out by the county offices.
Police protection is provided by the Eastern County Operations Division of the Martin County Sheriff's Office. The Sheriff's Office has approximately 392 law enforcement personnel (sworn officers & administrative) and provides coverage for most of the county. Palm City comprises Patrol Zone 6.
Fire and EMS services are provided by Station 21 of the Martin County Fire Rescue (Engine 21, Rescue 21, Brush 21, Tanker 21).
- Hidden Oaks Middle School
- Bessey Creek Elementary School
- Citrus Grove Elementary School
- Palm City Elementary School
- Alphabet Farms (Private Preschool)
- Appletree Academy (Private Preschool)
- High Hopes (Private Preschool)
- Immanuel Early Learning Center (Private Preschool)
- Little Peoples Academy (Private Preschool)
- Martin Downs Montessori School (Private Preschool/Kindergarten)
- Peace Christian Academy (Private K-12)
- The Learning Cover (Private Preschool)
- United Methodist (Private Preschool)
- Peter and Julie Cummings Library - Palm City branch of the Martin County Library System
- Dan Bongino - Former United States Secret Service Agent, Republican nominee for the U.S. Senate from Maryland in 2012 and for Maryland's 6th congressional district in 2014
- Edgar Cortright - Former director of the NASA Langley Research Center and Chairman of the Apollo 13 Review Board lived in Palm City
- Ken Duke - Professional golfer on the PGA Tour
- Eugene Stoner - Inventor of the M-16
- Dickey Betts - Founding member of The Allman Brothers Band
- Reidar Waaler - American soldier of Norwegian birth, winner of the Medal of Honor
- Tom Phoebus - MLB pitcher, Baltimore Orioles, World Series champion, pitched a no-hitter in 1968 against the Boston Red Sox
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Palm City.|
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". Factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2012-12-18.