|Position||Small forward / Power forward|
|League||Greek Basket League|
February 8, 1984 |
Maroussi, Athens, Greece
|Listed height||6 ft 8.75 in (2.05 m)|
|Listed weight||235 lb (107 kg)|
|NBA draft||2006 / Undrafted|
|Career highlights and awards|
Panagiotis "Panos" Vasilopoulos (alternate spellings: Panayiotis, Vassilopoulos) (Greek: Παναγιώτης "Πάνος" Βασιλόπουλος; born February 8, 1984) is a Greek professional basketball player who plays for Kolossos Rodou of the Greek Basket League. He measures 205 cm (6'8¾") tall. He is a cornerman.
Vasilopoulos has been compared to the long-time Olympiacos player Georgios Sigalas. He is a player that can play either the small forward or power forward positions, in both offense and defense. He can play in the post on offense, and can also pass well, and has 3 point range on his jump shot. He is an excellent athlete, and is considered to be one of the best and most tenacious defensive players in Europe.
Vasilopoulos was brought to Olympiacos in 2005, by George Garbolas, on a 2-year contract. Garbolas believed in his abilities, and that he could help the team to win championships. On May 20, 2008, he extended his contract with Olympiacos for another 4 years, at a salary of €6 million euros net income. With Olympiacos, he won the Euroleague and Greek League championships in 2012. On February 8, 2012, he suffered a season-ending leg injury, just after he had returned from a previous back surgery.
After being released by Valladolid in December 2013, Vasilopoulos then signed with the amateur Greek club Ermis Piraeus, in April 2014, before then returning to play professionally again in the top Greek basketball division with AENK.
Vasilopoulos moved to the Greek club Koroivos, for the 2015–16 season.
Greek national team
Vasilopoulos played with Greek national junior teams at the 2004 FIBA Europe Under-20 Championship, and also at the 2005 FIBA Under-21 World Championship. With the Greek junior national teams, he also won the bronze medal at both the 2002 FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship, and at the 2003 FIBA Under-19 World Championship.
Vasilopoulos was a member of the senior men's Greek national basketball team that won the gold medal at the EuroBasket 2005, and the silver medal at the 2006 FIBA World Championship. He also competed with Greece at the EuroBasket 2007, and at the 2008 Summer Olympic Games.
Awards and accomplishments
- 5x Greek League All-Star: (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009)
- Greek League Best Five Team: (2007)
- 2x Greek Cup Champion: (2010, 2011)
- Euroleague Champion: (2012)
- Greek League Champion: (2012)
Greek national team
- 2002 FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship: Bronze
- 2003 FIBA Under-19 World Championship: Bronze
- 2005 FIBA Under-21 World Championship: Silver
- EuroBasket 2005: Gold
- 2006 FIBA World Championship: Silver
- ESAKE.gr ΒΑΣΙΛΟΠΟΥΛΟΣ Παναγιώτης HEIGHT 2.05 (Greek).
- Sportdog.gr, Sportdog: Vassilopoulos red for ever!, accessed May 20, 2008.
- "Reds lose Vasilopoulos for the season". Euroleague. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- ACB.com Panagiotis Vasilopoulos, refuerzo de Euroliga para el CB Valladolid (Spanish).
- Sportando.net Panagiotis Vasilopoulos leaves CB Valladolid, nears end of his career?
- Talkbasket.net Panagiotis Vassilopoulos beats serious injuries and returns to action after several years.
- Kolossos signed Panagiotis Vasilopoulos