Pappu (पप्पु) is a name given to male in regions of India. The name pappu taken form the Hindi word Pappu (पप्पु) which is a nickname for a small boy in india.   'Pappu' has been used frequently in popular culture (e.g. A R Rahman's chartbuster "Pappu Can't Dance", Election Commission's "Pappu can't vote" campaign and Cadbury's "Pappu Pass Ho Gaya" ad campaign). It has also been used in film titles such as Aur Pappu Paas Ho Gaya (2007), Pappu Can't Dance Saala (2011).
Use in ad campaigns
The first use of "Pappu" in advertisement campaign was done by Cadbury chocolates in 2006. Abhijit Avasthi, a Group Creative Director of advertising agency Ogilvy & Mather, is credited for the introducing "Pappu" for advertisement world for Cadbury. Cadbury popularized "Pappu" by its ad campaign "Pappu Pass Ho Gaya" (Pappu Has Passed Exam..) which shows a bald middle aged man as Pappu who passed his board exam after number of attempts and entire town celebrates Pappu's success by distributing Cadbury chocolates.
According to the The Economic Times, use of name "Pappu" in ad campaigns connects with consumers and also described "Pappu" as "darling salesman" for marketers. The name was also used in ad campaign of Maruti Suzuki which says "Maruti Genuine Parts lagaoge to pappu nahi kahelaoge" (If you use Maruti Genuine Parts, then you won't be termed as Pappu).
Pappu has been featured in traffic awareness campaign of Kerala Police. They created "Pappu the Zebra" as their road safety awareness mascot. Some schools in Kerala also set up "Pappu zone" in school where students made aware about various road safety rules.
Notable people named Pappu
- Kuthiravattam Pappu (1936-2000), Indian comedian in Malayalam-language films
- Pappu Venugopala Rao (b. 1948), Indian educationist and musicologist from Andhra Pradesh . However, Pappu is a surname in Andhra Pradesh region and is not derogatory.
- Pappu Kalani (b. 1951), Indian criminal-turned-politician from Maharashtra
- Pappu Yadav (b. 1967), Indian politician from Bihar
- Pappu Sain, Pakistani dhol musician
- Papu Pom Pom, Popular Comedian in Odia film & TV industry, Odisha
- It’s a Beehive Full of Complainers, But if You Can Make it Here …
- Pheroze Vincent (6 June 2013). "Finding Pappu". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 September 2014.
- Pappus say they aren't one, brave chant with a smile. The Times of India. 9 May 2009, 0421 hrs IST, Megha Suri, TNN.
- Rajiv Singh, ET Bureau Aug 15, 2011, 09.59am IST. "'Pappu' connects with consumers; becomes darling salesman for marketers - timesofindia-economictimes". Articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2015-12-03.
- Philip Kotler (1 September 2010). Principles Of Marketing: A South Asian Perspective, 13/E. Pearson Education. pp. 205–. ISBN 978-81-317-3101-7.
- "Road safety lessons from 'Pappu'". The Hindu. 2013-10-08. Retrieved 2015-12-03.
- "'Pappu' in school to teach road safety - KERALA". The Hindu. 2009-11-12. Retrieved 2015-12-03.