|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Maryland|
|Assumed office |
May 18, 2016
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Deborah K. Chasanow|
1968 (age 50–51)
Mineola, New York
|Education||University of Virginia (B.A.)|
Yale Law School (J.D.)
Paula Xinis (born 1968) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Maryland.
Xinis received a Bachelor of Arts degree, summa cum laude, in 1991 from the University of Virginia. She received a Juris Doctor in 1997 from Yale Law School. She began her legal career as a law clerk for Judge Diana Gribbon Motz of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, from 1997 to 1998. From 1998 to 2011, she served as an Assistant Federal Public Defender, serving as Director of Training for the office, 2006 to 2011. She served at the law firm of Murphy, Falcon & Murphy in Baltimore, Maryland, as a senior trial attorney from 2011 and as a partner from 2013 to 2016. She practiced both civil and criminal litigation.
Federal judicial service
On March 26, 2015, President Obama nominated Xinis to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Maryland, to the seat vacated by Judge Deborah K. Chasanow, who took senior status on October 3, 2014. Her nomination was reported from the Senate Judiciary Committee on September 17, 2015, by voice vote. On May 16, 2016 the Senate confirmed her nomination by a vote of 53–34. She received her judicial commission on May 18, 2016.
- "President Obama Nominates Two to Serve on the United States District Courts". 26 March 2015.
- "Xinis, Paula – Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate". 26 March 2015.
- "United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary". www.judiciary.senate.gov.
- "U.S. Senate: U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 114th Congress – 2nd Session". www.senate.gov.
- Jalonick, Mary Clare (May 16, 2016). "The Senate has confirmed lawyer Paula Xinis to be a federal judge in Maryland". Daily Journal. Associated Press. Retrieved May 16, 2016.[permanent dead link]
- Paula Xinis at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Paula Xinis at Ballotpedia
Deborah K. Chasanow
| Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Maryland