Pehr Arvid Säve
Pehr Arvid Säve
Per Magnus Arvid Säve
19 April 1811
|Died||10 November 1887 (aged 76)|
|Resting place||Visby, Sweden|
|Occupation||Teacher, cultural historian and artist|
|Known for||Gotland Museum|
|Parent(s)||Pehr Säve and Hedvig Lallerius|
Early life and education
Säve was born in Roma the son of the provost there, Pehr Säve and his wife Hedvig Lallerius. Säve started out as a teacher in Visby 1835–57, and he soon became a pioneer for the Gotlandic cultural history.
On the behalf of the Royal Swedish Academy of Letters, History and Antiquities he collected facts about Gotland's heritage, language, geography and culture. He was the academy's curator of antiquities on Gotland and in Västergötland and Östergötland. His notes are collected in six large volumes in Uppsala University Library. Notes made by Säve and his brother, Carl Säve, resulted in a Gotlandic dictionary (Gotländsk ordbok) was published in Uppsala in 1936-45. He also gathered and wrote down Gotlandic traditional tales, which he called sagas. This comprehensive material included Strandens sagor (Tales from the beach) 1873, Åkerns sagor (Tales from the field) 1876 and Havets och fiskarens sagor (Tales from the sea and the fisherman) 1880. After his death, material from his notes and archive was included 1945 edition of Swedish folk tales and the 1949 edition of Swedish folk songs.
Säve was the initiator of the society Gotlands Fornvänner (the Friends of Gotland's Antiquity) and their Museum of Antiquities on Gotland, later renamed the Gotland Museum. He was also a pioneer in the field of conservation and protection of the natural environment. In 1877, he published a paper in which he propagated for a law regarding animal rights and animal welfare. That year he also received an honorary Ph.D. from Uppsala University. In 1882, he became an honorary member of the Swedish Heritage Society (Svenska fornminnesföreningen) and of the Royal Swedish Academy of Letters, History and Antiquities in 1885.
- "Visby domkyrkoförsamlings kyrkoarkiv, Död- och begravningsböcker, SE/ViLA/23085/F I/1 (1880-1894), bildid: 00013121_00148". www.riksarkivet.se/. National Archives of Sweden. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- Steffen 1937, pp. 2–3.
- Steffen 1937, p. 6.
- Ohlén, Scharp & Rehnberg 1973, p. 264.
- Steffen 1937, pp. 6–8.
- Lindquist, Gislestam & Palmenfelt 1992, p. 22.
- Lindquist, Gislestam & Palmenfelt 1992, p. 28.
- Palmenfelt 1994.
- Hammar, Inger (8 April 2011). "P A Säve hyllas med utställningar" [P A Säve celebrated with exhibitions]. www.helagotland.se (in Swedish). Helagotland. Retrieved 13 April 2015.
- Ohlén, Scharp & Rehnberg 1973, p. 217.
- Lönnberg, Einar, ed. (1915). Fauna och flora [Fauna and Flora] (10th ed.). Uppsala & Stockholm: Almqvist & Wiksell. p. 188.
- Steffen 1937, p. 19.
- "Östra kyrkogården" [Eastern cemetery]. www.svenskakyrkan.se. Church of Sweden. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- Lindquist, Sven-Olof; Gislestam, Torsten; Palmenfelt, Ulf, eds. (1992). Per Arvid Säve och hans samtida [Per Arvid Säve and his contemporary]. Visby: Gotlands fornsal. ISBN 91-88036-06-5. SELIBR 7768502.
- Ohlén, Carl-Eric; Scharp, Dag W.; Rehnberg, Mats, eds. (1973). Från fars och farfars tid [From father's and grandfather's time] (in Swedish) (2nd ed.). Visby: Gotlandskonst AB. SELIBR 1382413.
- Palmenfelt, Ulf (1994). Per Arvid Säves möten med människor och sägner: folkloristiska aspekter på ett gotländskt arkivmaterial [Per Arvid Säve's encounters with people and folk tales: folkloristic aspects of Gotlandic material] (in Swedish). Stockholm: Carlsson. ISBN 91-7798-758-6. SELIBR 7666317.
- Steffen, Richard (1937). P. A. Säve – Gotländskt arkiv: meddelanden från Föreningen Gotlands fornvänner [P. A. Säve – Gotlandic archive: notifications from the Friends of Gotland's Antiquity] (in Swedish). Visby: Gotland Museum. SELIBR 3737750.