This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Perodua Kelisa (L700)|
|Also called||Daihatsu Mira (L700)|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||5-door hatchback|
|Engine||847 cc ED-DE DOHC I3|
989 cc EJ-DE DOHC I3
|Wheelbase||2,345 mm (92.3 in)|
|Length||3,490 mm (137.4 in)|
|Width||1,490 mm (58.7 in)|
|Height||1,420 mm (55.9 in)|
|Curb weight||771 to 806 kg (1,700 to 1,777 lb)|
The Perodua Kelisa is a city car from Malaysian automaker Perodua. It was launched in 2001 as the successor to the Perodua Kancil. The Kelisa was sold alongside the older Kancil, and both were eventually replaced by the Perodua Viva in 2007.
As Perodua has sold its vehicles in the United Kingdom since 1997, the Kelisa was introduced into the country in 2002 as a replacement to the Nippa, a rebadged Kancil. Like its predecessor, the Kelisa was the cheapest new car on sale in the United Kingdom, starting at under £5,000.
In 2002, the Kelisa Limited Edition was launched distinguable by a two-tone paintwork, leather seats and leather wrapped steering wheel.
The Perodua Kelisa launched with three variants: EX, GX and EZ. When the facelift launched in 2003, the models remained the same: EX, GX and EZ. A limited edition Kelisa, based on the original variant, prominently sports two toned colored paintwork and minor interior modifications.
On 21 October 2003, Perodua launched the facelift to the Perodua Kelisa. differed from the pre-facelift model with a new front honeycomb grille, a new lower front bumper with amber front turn signal lights, a new lower rear bumper with reflector, a newside protector moulding, a new rear wiper, a center position roof antenna, new meter panel, new design sports rims for the EX model and new design wheel caps for the GX model. Pre-facelift models used 13" wheels while the facelift model used 14" wheels.
It was available in five colors: Kristal White, Sparkling Silver, Millenia Gold and Gemilang Blue. Throughout Spring 2004, Perodua replaced the EX variant with the 850 EX variant and rebranded the GX to 1000 GX and EX to 1000 EX.Other changes different gear ratios for the manual transmissions and overall dimensions/size.
The Limited Edition returned in 2004.
Between August and November 2004, Perodua launched the Kelisa SE (Special Edition). It was available with both manual (GXS) and automatic (EZS) transmissions. These special edition Kelisa's featured clear lens for the front and side fender mounted turn signals, front seats with fixed headrest, painted center cluster, leather wrapped steering wheel and a bodykit consisting of a rear spoiler, side, front and rear skirts.
In 2006, Perodua launched the Kelisa Imago. It was available with both manual (GXQ) and automatic (EZQ) transmissions. The changes compared to the other Kelisa variants included a silver painted center cluster (including astray), leather seats with "imago" embroidery, leather-wrapped steering wheel, clear side and front turn signals, sporty spoiler, chrome door handles & door lock and a modern Metallic Pearl Jade finish — a light double metallic color.
The SE and Imago editions used the same alloy wheel designs as the regular EZ variant and do note that non-SE and Imago Kelisa's had yellow lenses for the front and side fender-mounted turn signals.
In February 2007, selected Kelisa models also came with built in Bluetooth technology.
List of Models
Throughout the Kelisa's production run, various models were known under various other model names. However, these other names were mainly only used in marketing (price lists, brochures, stickers on the boot and more) as the vehicles actually registration paper would contain the actual model name.
|Year||Model||Also Known As||Replaced With||Transmission|
|Type||Color Name||Color Code||Variants||Year|
|Metallic||Pearl Jade||G47||Imago (GXQ & EZQ)|
|Metallic||Mocca Silver||S05||GX, EZ|
|Metallic||Millennia Gold||T06||GX, EZ|
|Solid||Ivory White||W09||EX, GX, EZ|
|Metallic||Glittering Silver||S28||EX, GX, EZ|
|Metallic||Gemilang Bllue||B42||GX, EZ|
|Kenari Yellow||Limited Edition (GXL & EZL)|
|Royal Blue||Limited Edition (GXL & EZL)|
|Metallic||Sparkling Silver||S01||EX, GX, EZ & Limited Edition (GXL & EZL)|
|Solid||Kristal White||W14||850EX, GX, EZ|
|Metallic||Ozzy Orange||R53||SE (GXS & EZS)|
|Ebony Black||SE (GXS & EZS)|
|Comparison of specifications (Malaysia models)|
|Model||EX||GX||EZ||850 EX||1000 GX||1000 EZ|
|Overall Length (mm)||3480||3490|
|Overall Width (mm)||1490|
|Overall Height (mm)||1425||1430|
|Interior Length (mm)||1720|
|Interior Width (mm)||1220|
|Interior Height (mm)||1170|
|Ground Clearance (mm)||165|
|Kerb Weight (kg)||775||790||795||771||801||806|
|Minimum Turning Radius||Tyre (m)||4.3||4.3||4.3||?|
|Tyre - M||?||4.3||4.5|
|Engine Model||EJ - DE||ED - DE|
|Engine Type||Water-cooled, 4 cycle, in-line 3-cylinder||Water-cooled, 4 cycle, in-line, transverse engine|
|Valve Mechanism||DOHC||DOHC-4 valve per cylinder|
|Bore x Stroke (mm)||72 x 81||66.6 x 81||72 x 81|
|Maximum Output||40.5 kW / 5200 rpm||36.7 kW / 5200 rpm||40.5 kW / 5200 rpm|
|Maximum Torque||88.3 Nm / 3600 rpm||74.4 Nm / 4000 rpm||88.3 Nm / 3600 rpm|
|Fuel Tan Capacity (liter)||40|
|Clutch||Single dry plate with diaphragm spring and mechanical actuation||N/A||Single dry plate with diaphragm spring and mechanical actuation||N/A|
|Transmission||Type||Forward 5-speed manual, all synchromesh||Forward 4-speed full automatic||5 M/T||4 A/T|
|Final Gear Ratio||3.938||4.439||4.643||4.266||4.439|
|Steering Type||Manual||Power Steering||Rack and Pinion|
|Main Brakes||Front||Disc brakes with booster||Disc|
|Rear||Drums (leading & trailing)|
|Parking Brake||Mechanically operating on rear wheels|
|Suspension||Front||MacPherson strut with coil spring|
|Rear||3 link suspension|
Comparing the GX and EZ variants (regardless of pre-facelift or facelift), the EZ variant had in addition to the GX variant an air ionizer, electircally adjustable side mirrors and some form of as well as some form of hands free technology for phones coupled with a phone holder.
While the seat fabric was shared between pre-facelift GX and EZ variants, post-facelift GX and EZ variants each had unique fabric upsolutery with unique fabric patterns.
In the second series of Top Gear, James May drove the Kelisa and was generally impressed with the car, even likening it to the original Mini. However, in Jeremy Clarkson's 2005 DVD Heaven and Hell, Clarkson bought a Perodua Kelisa EX and destroyed it by blowing it up immediately after purchasing it, in an effort to highlight aesthetic frustrations with the design.
In April 2007, Clarkson described it as the worst in the world: "Its name was like a disease and suggested it was built in jungles by people who wear leaves for shoes." His comments drew criticism from the Malaysian Government, a representative of which countered by stating that no complaints had been received from any customers in the United Kingdom.
- ASEAN Auto Car Awards 2003/2004 (Compact Car category)
- NST - MasterCard Compact Car of the Year 2003
- NST Car of the Year 2002.
- "Perodua Nippa (97-02) – Facts and Figures". Parkers. Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- Ross, David (22 May 2009). "Perodua Kelisa (02-08) – Review". Parkers. Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- "PERODUA Kancil - Smart Like You". web.archive.org. 2003-10-07. Retrieved 2019-09-28.
- "Perusahaan Otomobil Kedua Sdn Bhd". 2002-10-16. Archived from the original on 2002-10-16. Retrieved 2017-07-30.
- "Perodua.com :: News & Events :: 2003". 2004-11-12. Archived from the original on 2004-11-12. Retrieved 2017-07-30.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Perodua.com.my :: Our Cars :: kelisa :: specification". 2004-02-20. Archived from the original on 2004-02-20. Retrieved 2017-07-30.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Perodua.com :: Our Cars :: kelisa :: specification". 2004-06-10. Archived from the original on 2004-06-10. Retrieved 2017-07-30.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Perodua.com :: Our Cars :: kelisa :: price". web.archive.org. 2004-12-08. Retrieved 2019-09-28.
- "Perodua.com :: Our Cars :: kelisa :: price". 2004-08-10. Archived from the original on 2004-08-10. Retrieved 2017-07-31.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Perodua.com :: Our Cars :: kelisa :: price". 2004-11-25. Archived from the original on 2004-11-25. Retrieved 2017-07-31.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Kelisa Brochure" (PDF). perodua.com.my. 2006-02-07. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2006-02-07. Retrieved 2019-07-23.
- "Wayback Machine" (PDF). 2006-04-18. Archived from the original on 2006-04-18. Retrieved 2017-07-31.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Perodua Kelisa with built in Bluetooth handsfree". Paul Tan's Automotive News. 2007-02-25. Retrieved 2017-07-30.
- "Perodua.com :: Our Cars :: kelisa :: price". 2003-12-27. Archived from the original on 2003-12-27. Retrieved 2017-08-02.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Perodua.com :: Our Cars :: kelisa :: colour". 2004-11-12. Archived from the original on 2004-11-12. Retrieved 2017-07-31.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Perodua.com :: Our Cars :: kelisa_se :: colour". 2005-12-25. Archived from the original on 2005-12-25. Retrieved 2017-07-31.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Wayback Machine" (PDF). 2006-02-07. Archived from the original on 2006-02-07. Retrieved 2017-07-31.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Perodua.com :: Our Cars :: kelisa :: specification". 2004-06-10. Archived from the original on 2004-06-10. Retrieved 2017-07-31.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Malaysia lambasts Top Gear host". BBC News. BBC. 4 April 2007. Retrieved 23 April 2007.
- McCusker, Eamonn (9 November 2005). "Clarkson: Heaven and Hell". DVD Times. Retrieved 21 April 2007.
- "Perodua Kelisa Brochure" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 March 2007.
Perodua road vehicle timeline, 1994–present