Peter Guttman (photographer)
Roswell, New Mexico, U.S.
|Occupation||Travel journalist, author and lecturer|
|Notable credit(s)||Two-time recipient of Lowell Thomas Travel Journalist of the Year Award, author of seven books and creator of best selling iPad travel apps|
Peter Guttman was born in Roswell, New Mexico and grew up in the Fresh Meadows neighborhood of Queens in New York City. As a five-year-old, he received early recognition of his visual skills when his artwork was exhibited at the Lever House on Manhattan's Park Avenue. By the age of twelve, Guttman received notice for engaging in medical research involving the artificial heart. He advanced ideas for the development of an internal power source, and established relationships with such pioneering doctors as Adrian Kantrowitz, Michael DeBakey and Willem Kolff, who invited Peter to spend time with him at the Cleveland Clinic. When his newfound interest in photography was sparked, he was given a Nikon camera by his grandmother at age 17. He graduated from Francis Lewis High School and received a degree in geography from Binghamton University, and as a graduate, extensive tour guiding experience across the United States helped develop his storytelling skills.
Guttman is a visual storyteller seeking out the world's hidden corners through decades-long explorations. His body of work, which often investigates indigenous peoples and exotic wildlife, is supplemented by substantial elements of writing and research while employing innovative shooting techniques. Long before the GoPro, drones and selfie sticks, he would create surrealistic mid-air suspension shots, either utilizing his tripod as a fishing rod or attaching his camera to the wings of Allagash Wilderness floatplanes or the sails of Mojave Desert land yachts. During his global travels, he has climbed the riggings of tall ships, hiked onto volcanic lava flows, tracked gorillas in tropical rain forests and chased tornadoes across the great plains. His adventures have led him to summit Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa, swim with pink dolphins in the Amazon and sail an icebreaker to the North Pole. His images include Antarctic penguin colonies, Papua New Guinea tribesmen, indigenous Arctic nomads and camel adventures through the Namib desert. His work has been featured in Calvin Klein and American Express calendars, spreads in Life (magazine) for which he was nominated for an Alfred Eisenstaedt Award for Magazine Photography and has appeared in Conde Nast Traveler, National Geographic Adventure, and Geo. Guttman has also penned stories for The Los Angeles Times, The Dallas Morning News, New York and Outside magazines, among others.
Guttman is the creator of the influential "To Imagine" hardcover book series, a visual chronicle of magical lodging, adventures and experiences around the world, published by Fodor's Travel Publications. He later created the "Photographic" book series for Skyhorse Publishing, pictorial narratives of his global explorations and discoveries. He has twice been the recipient of the Lowell Thomas Travel Journalist of the Year. In 2005, an exhibition of his work, "The Magical Worlds of Peter Guttman" was shown at the American Film Festival in Deauville, France and in 2006, Guttman had a solo photographic retrospective of his work at Sotheby's in New York City, where he was the first living artist to be honored with an entire floor featuring his work. His photographic images of the Amazon were featured in a 2008 exhibition at the United Nations.
Guttman taught travel photography in New York at the International Center of Photography and his frequent slide show lectures have been met with wide national attention. In 2014, Guttman made a joint appearance at the George Eastman House International Museum of Photography and Film with his teenage son Chase Guttman, himself a frequent winner of international awards for travel photography. His work as a travel journalist has been profiled on A&E Television and he has appeared on NBC's Today, CNN Travel Guide and the Travel Channel. In a 2009 Kodak tribute to Kodachrome, on the occasion of the film's retirement after 74 years, Guttman was one of three photographers specifically referenced on their website as one of the "world's greatest photographers" and his work with that film was displayed in both slide shows and podcasts. Hundreds of Guttman's images and extensive text comprise innovative multimedia presentations on a series of applications designed for the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. Best selling Beautiful Planet HD and Rooms with a View have been featured by Apple as Staff Favorites and, along with Children Around the World, have gathered numerous honors in the media. In 2008, the coffee table book "Rare" published by Daab included Guttman's portrait in a roster of "amazing individuals" and "people of significance."
Guttman is the author of "Nights to Imagine: Magical Places to Stay in America," "Adventures to Imagine: Thrilling Escapes in North America" and "Worlds to Imagine: Dream Journeys for Romantic Travelers," comprising the Fodor's "To Imagine" series which he created. He later published "Escape to Northern New England" also by Fodor's.
"Peter Guttman: Faces of the World," a complete chapter of the "Kodak Guide to Shooting Great Travel Pictures" featured his career and portrait work. A chapter about Guttman's work and accomplishments, based on interviews with the New York Institute of Photography, appears in "Top Travel Photo Tips: From Ten Pro Photographers."
Guttman also created the "Photographic" series, for Skyhorse Publishing including "Christmas in America: A Photographic Celebration of the Holiday Season" now in its second edition as well as Guttman's sixth hardcover book, "Extreme Adventure: A Photographic Exploration of Wild Experiences" which includes ice climbing in the Rockies, land yachting in the Mojave Desert and scaling the girders of Australia's Sydney Harbour Bridge. His seventh book, "By the Sea: A Photographic Voyage Around the Blue Planet" portrays earth's nautical cultures from canoe flotillas of grass-skirted warriors in Irian Jaya to mailboat journeys through Norwegian fjords.
Guttman's work in magazines, newspapers and books twice resulted in him receiving the Lowell Thomas Travel Journalist of the Year, awarded by the Society of American Travel Writers. "Adventures to Imagine" won the Benjamin Franklin Award as Best Travel Guide and was cited in "The Experience Economy: Work Is Theater & Every Business a Stage" (Harvard Business School Press) as a landmark indication of society's new emphasis on experiences. Guttman twice received the Northern Lights Award for Excellence in Travel Journalism and Photography for his iPhone and iPad apps, Rooms with a View, and the number one bestselling iPad travel app Beautiful Planet HD. Beautiful Planet HD was also named by NBC News as one of "eight outstanding apps" for students. In 2012, Children Around the World, created for the iPad, was selected as one of the "Best Book Apps of 2012" from Kirkus Reviews. In 2013 Guttman was honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award by the New York Travel Writers Society. Guttman was a finalist in the international Travel Photographer of the Year 2013 competition. Guttman received a 2014 George Eastman Power of the Image Award in conjunction with a photography exhibition, Power of the Image, at the Temple of Heaven in Beijing, China when he was cited as one of twenty of the world's most influential photographers.
- http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/08/realestate/08habi.html Article in The New York Times
- Top Travel Photo Tips: From Ten Pro Photographers (Allworth Press) New York, New York 2012 ISBN 978-1-58115-995-0 pp.102-106
- http://www.wilsonartcontract.com/peter-guttman/ Article on The Statement Website
- "Embryo Cardiologist." Roche Medical Image 9.1 (February 1967): 24-25
- https://web.archive.org/web/20110719154856/http://harpur.binghamton.edu/hotline/2000/may8/index.htm Piece on Binghamton University Website
- http://www.duggal.com/newest-project/around-the-world-with-peter-guttman/ Feature on the Duggal Website
- Kodak Guide to Shooting Great Travel Pictures (Fodor's Travel Publications) New York, New York 2000 ISBN 0-679-03243-6 pp.24-29
- http://www.eturbonews.com/4575/brazilian-tourist-board-takes-manhattan-storm-august Article in eTurboNews
- http://www.cnn.com/books/dialogue/9901/05/guttman/ Interview with CNN
- http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/30/nyregion/thecity/30slid.html Article in The New York Times
- https://web.archive.org/web/20140728120739/ Biography of Peter Guttman on Power of the Image Website
- http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/tips_from_pros/peter_guttman.htm Feature on Kodak Website
- http://articles.latimes.com/2008/oct/05/opinion/oe-guttman5 Opinion piece written by Peter Guttman for the Los Angeles Times
- http://www.peterguttman.com/dallas.html Article written by Peter Guttman for the travel section of Dallas Morning News
- http://www.outsideonline.com/adventure-travel/north-america/united-states/new-york/123407398.html Article written by Peter Guttman for Outside
- http://www.hotelresortinsider.com/news_story.php?news_id=134221&cat_id=9 Article in Hotel and Resort Insider
- http://www.wireimage.com/photos-célébrités/Peter-Guttman-Renowned-Author-and-Photographer-Named-Travel-Journalist/110248904?r=110248905,110248904&st=Search Gallery on WireImage Website
- http://newyorksocialdiary.com/partypictures/2006/02_23_06/partypictures02_23_06.php Report on Peter Guttman's Sotheby's event
- http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/16/travel/16prac.html Article in The New York Times
- http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1180395 Radio Segment on National Public Radio's All Things Considered
- http://www.eastmanhouse.org/events/detail.php?title=wywh_guttman Article on George Eastman House Website
- https://web.archive.org/web/20110713173000/http://1000words.kodak.com/thousandwords/post/?id=2388083 Tribute feature on Kodak Website
- http://njmonthly.com/articles/lifestyle/people/tusk-love.html Article in New Jersey Monthly Magazine
- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rooms-with-a-view/id392550595?mt=8 Rooms With a View HD in the Apple App Store
- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/beautiful-planet-hd-for-ipad/id363660568?mt=8 Beautiful Planet HD in the Apple App Store
- http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/04/video-ipad-apps/ Video feature on Wired Website
- http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/04/10-apps-were-excited-to-try-on-ipad-launch-day/10/ Feature on Wired Website
- http://www.tipb.com/2011/06/14/top-5-iphone-apps-vacation/ Feature on TiPb- The iPhone Blog Website
- http://www.brighthub.com/education/k-12/articles/89780.aspx Feature on Bright Hub Website
- https://www.kirkusreviews.com/issue/2012-best-of/section/book-apps/?page=3 Article in Kirkus Reviews
- http://www.daab-media.com/vnoffice/data/0/0/7/241/Maloney%20-%20RARE.pdf PDF from Publisher's Website
- http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Apeter+guttman%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A2656020011&bbn=283155&keywords=peter+guttman&rnid=618072011 Peter Guttman's Books on Amazon Website
- http://www.amazon.com/Top-Travel-Photo-Tips-Photographers/dp/1581159951 Top Travel Photo Tips: From Ten Pro Photographers on Amazon Website
- http://www.amazon.com/dp/1616080965 Peter Guttman's Book on Amazon Website
- http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Adventure-Photographic-Exploration-Experiences/dp/1629147591/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393129247&sr=1-5&keywords=peter+guttman Peter Guttman's Book on Amazon Website
- http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Photographic-Voyage-Peter-Guttman/dp/1632203308/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1410496666&sr=1-9&keywords=Peter+Guttman Peter Guttman's Book on Amazon Website
- The Experience Economy: Work Is Theater & Every Business a Stage" (Harvard Business School Press) Boston, Massachusetts 1999 ISBN 0-87584-819-2 pp.15, 209
- http://en-corporate.canada.travel/content/ctc_news/ctc-names-northern-lights-winners-san-francisco Announcement of Northern Lights Award Winners 2010
- http://en-corporate.canada.travel/content/ctc_news/northern-lights-awards-2011 Announcement of Northern Lights Award Winners 2011
- http://www.nbcnews.com/id/48190005/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/ Article on NBC News Website
- http://www.sbwire.com/press-releases/new-york-travel-writers-society-2013-award-individual-award-winners-announced-248157.htm#13765996792161&req=rpuSetSize&h=223&w=226 Press Release on SB Wire
- http://www.tpoty.com/judges/2013shortlist Finalist on Travel Photographer of the Year Website
- http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140410005570/en/Power-Image-Project-Launches-China#.U8QgBrK9KSN Article on Business Wire Website