|Born||January 18, 1973|
Early life, education, and career
Zeihan was born in 1973, and grew up as the adopted son of educators Jerald and Agnes Zeihan in Marshalltown, Iowa. He graduated from Marshalltown High School in 1992. In 1995, he obtained a BSc in Political Science from what then was Northeast Missouri State University, and a postgraduate diploma in Asian studies from University of Otago (Dunedin, New Zealand) in 1997.
Discouraged by his experiences during his work at the American Embassy in Australia and at Susan Eisenhower's think tank, the Center for Political and Strategic Studies, he began working as an analyst for Austin-based geopolitical intelligence firm Stratfor in 2000. Zeihan spent 12 years at Stratfor, eventually rising to vice-president.
While still at Stratfor, Zeihan coauthored his first book, A Crucible of Nations, with Lauren Goodrich in 2011. The book discusses the Caucasus region of Eastern Europe.
Zeihan left Stratfor in 2012, founding his consulting firm Zeihan on Geopolitics that same year. His client list grew to include energy companies, financial institutions, business associations, agricultural interests, universities, and other government organizations.
In 2014 he released Accidental Superpower. The book was reviewed by The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, and Kirkus Reviews. The book focused on topographical and geographical landmarks (rivers, oceans, mountains, etc.) as distinct advantages in a state's ability to dominate other countries in economically, industrially, and militarily. With the use of maps, Zeihan pointed out that navigable rivers, or access to the oceans, along with a reliable road or rail network make a critical difference. He subsequently published three more books The Absent Superpower (2017), Disunited Nations (2020), and The End of the World Is Just the Beginning (2022).
- Stratfor; Goodrich, Lauren; Zeihan, Peter (April 27, 2011). A Crucible of Nations. ISBN 9781461109426.
- The Accidental Superpower: The Next Generation of American Preeminence and the Coming Global Disaster. Twelve. Feb 23, 2016 . ISBN 9781455583683.
- The Absent Superpower: The Shale Revolution and a World without America. Jan 1, 2017. ISBN 9780998505206.
- Disunited Nations: The Scramble for Power in an Ungoverned World. Harper Business. Mar 3, 2020. ISBN 9780062913685.
- The End of the World Is Just the Beginning: Mapping the Collapse of Globalization. Harper Business. June 14, 2022. ISBN 9780063230477.
- George Friedman, founder of Stratfor
- "COVID Update: 10/15/2020" – via www.youtube.com.
- "Pen and Sword: Disunited Nations, with Peter Zeihan (podcast)". Stratfor. April 2, 2020. Retrieved 11 June 2020.
- Whittemore, Nathaniel (April 1, 2020). "How Coronavirus Is Accelerating the End of Globalism, Feat. Peter Zeihan". finance.yahoo.com. Retrieved 11 June 2020.
- "Peter Zeihan on "The New President & the World: Challenges & Opportunities"". McConnell Center. 27 April 2017 – via Vimeo.
- "Executive Profile - Zeihan on Geopolitics - Peter Zeihan - Customer Intelligence". www.boardroominsiders.com.
- "#1921 - Peter Zeihan". January 7, 2023 – via open.spotify.com.
- Maharry, Robert (2022-05-10). "Marshalltown native prepares to publish fourth book on geopolitics, demography". Times Republican. Retrieved 2023-03-10.
- Denning, Liam (Dec. 3, 2014). "The Coming Hobbesian World." Review of The Accidental Superpower, by Peter Zeihan. Wall Street Journal. Retrieved Dec. 3, 2014.
- Immerwahr, Daniel (10 November 2022). "Are we really prisoners of geography?". The Guardian. Retrieved 16 November 2022.
- "Peter Zeihan - Geopolitics Speaker & Strategist". National Speakers Bureau. 2022-07-20. Retrieved 2023-02-11.
- Zakaria, Fareed. "America's prospects are promising indeed". The Washington Post. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- The Accidental Superpower by Peter Zeihan. Kirkus Reviews.
|Library resources |
|By Peter Zeihan|