Physical training uniform
A physical training uniform is a military uniform used during exercise, calisthenics, drills, and in some cases, very casual periods of time (off-duty time during Initial Entry Training in the U.S. Army, for example). The United States Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard require use of a physical training (PT) uniform during unit exercise (including formation runs, calisthenics, and conditioning exercises). Some military units produce unique T-shirts with their unit insignia and motto, and for special events, this shirt is part of the uniform. Occasionally, exercise will be conducted in that branch's utility uniforms, normally with the blouse removed and the undershirt exposed (also known as "boots and utes" ).
Physical Training Uniforms of the U.S. Armed Forces
The Army Physical Fitness Uniform (APFU) consists of:
- Shirts: Black long-sleeve and short-sleeve shirts with gold ARMY lettering on the front. A Physical Fitness Badge may be worn for soldiers who excel at the A.P.F.T (270 or higher, with a 90 in each event).
- Shorts: Black with same gold ARMY lettering on the left leg. multipurpose: can be worn alone for swimming and exercise, worn with shirts or under the black trousers.
- Pants: Black with Army Star logo on the left thigh.
- Jacket: Black with gold chevron across chest and back and same Army Star logo on the left chest. The Physical Fitness Badge can be worn on this as well.
- Socks: Commercial calf-length or ankle-length, plain white or black socks with no logos.
- Shoes: Approved, well-fitting, comfortable running shoes. No five-toed shoes allowed.
- Black micro fleece cap and black gloves: optional for inclement weather.
U.S. Marine Corps
All items worn by Marines conducting PT as a group are subject to uniformity, at the commander's discretion. The Marine Corps PTUs consist of:
- Shirt: Plain olive-drab green short-sleeve T-shirt (logos can be authorized.)
- Shorts: Plain OD green shorts ("silky" shorts are not authorized; however, logos can be, like the shirts.)
- Sweats: OD green with black USMC lettering and Marine's logo on left chest of hoodless sweatshirt, and the same design on the left thigh of sweatpants.
- Tracksuit: OD green with reflective piping, Marines logo in reflective trim on left chest and MARINES lettering in red with gold trim centered on back of jacket, and same logo on upper right thigh and USMC lettering in the same style on lower right leg of pants.
- Shoes: appropriate civilian design, excessive bright coloring or designs are prohibited.
- Socks: commercial calf-length or ankle-length, plain white or black socks with no logos.
- Watch cap: fleece, coyote brown, black, or OD green (replaced the black wool knit cap)
- Hydration pack: green or coyote brown (or subdued colors if personally owned packs are authorized)
The Navy PTU's nylon moisture wicking and odor resistant Navy blue shorts come in six and eight inch lengths, providing standard appearance among different height sailors. It also has side pockets with a hidden ID card pocket inside the waistband, which is something that all of the branches' PTUs have in common. As with the Army uniform, optional compression shorts may be worn under the PTU shorts provided they are black or navy blue in color.
The Navy PTUs consist of:
- Shirts: Gold long-sleeve and short-sleeve shirts with small reflective NAVY lettering on the left chests and same lettering on the backs, only larger.
- Shorts: Navy blue with same reflective NAVY lettering on the left leg.
- Tracksuit: Styled similar to the Marines' except black with same Navy lettering on the same areas as on shirts but in gold on jacket and differently-styled lettering on lower right leg of pants.
- Sweats: Navy blue with same reflective Navy lettering on the same areas on sweatshirt with optional hood, and differently-styled reflective lettering on the side of left leg of sweatpants.
- Shoes: Approved, well-fitting, comfortable running shoes.
In July 2018, Chief of Naval Operations John M. Richardson announced changes to the Navy PTU that will include the uniform having a moisture-wicking navy blue short-sleeve shirt and shorts with a zipper pocket on the back right side. The uniform is planned to sport gold non-reflective eagle logos with the statement "Forged By The Sea" on the back of shirt, and the uniform will no longer have long-sleeve shirts. The uniform will be released in October 2018 with a retirement date for the gold-shirt uniform pending. Also, a secondary navy blue uniform planned to resemble the gold-shirt uniform is in development and is planned to be released in 2019.
U.S. Air Force
The Air Force Physical Training Uniform (AFPTU) consists of:
- Shirts and Sweatshirt: Light-grey short-sleeve and long-sleeve shirts and hoodless sweatshirts with moisture wicking fabric with reflective Air Force logo and lettering on the left chests and logo centered on the backs.
- Shorts: Air Force blue with silver reflective stripes on the sides and the same AF logo and lettering on the left leg.
- Pants: AF blue with silver reflective piping on the lower legs.
- Jacket: Styled similar to the Army's except AF blue with silver reflective chevron outlined by white piping across chest and back and same AF logo and lettering on the left chest but embroidered. A latex hood is hidden in the collar and can be pulled out during inclement weather.
- Shoes Athletic style shoes, with no color restrictions.
- Socks: White and black socks, small logos are authorized.
U.S. Coast Guard
The Coast Guard PTUs consist of:
- Shirt: Grey short-sleeve shirt with Coast Guard logo and lettering in reflective trim and blue lining on the left chest and Coast Guard lettering in the same design centered on the back.
- Shorts: Mesh-designed coast guard blue shorts with white Coast Guard lettering printed on the left leg.
- Sweats: CG blue with COAST GUARD lettering in orange with white lining centered on front and 7 reflective stripes on the back of hoodless sweatshirt, and USCG lettering in the same design on both legs of sweatpants.
- Swimming gear: Plain CG blue gender-standard swimsuits.
- Shoes: Approved, well-fitting, comfortable running shoes.
- AR 600-8-22, Army Awards, para. 8-51
- AR 670-1, para. 14-5 Insignia (on the Physical Training Uniform)
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-05-06. Retrieved 2014-05-06.
- "AIR FORCE INSTRUCTION 36-2903" (PDF). United States Air Force. 17 January 2014. Retrieved 22 January 2014.